licence for locally caught fish to be sold.

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by magman, 29 Jun 2010.

1. magman

magman

Hey Guys,

I was in a LFS here in the bay, and they said to me they were looking into getting stock from the locally caught market, so I said to them you know thats illegal, so they said to me that appreantly a licence with quotas has been issued to catch fish for the trade, anyone heard this? I don't believe it or the LFS? I Think it's bull

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

No - not heard anything of this. Personally, I think that this is BS.

4. PeterL

PeterL

I read an extensive document about 2 - 3 months back which dictates the rules from the parks board and other governing boards prohibiting the sale of locally caught ocean life. As individuals, we can remove strictly controlled quantities by means of a licence, but may not sell under any circumstances.

It was actually provided within the MASA forum by one of the "more senior" guys (by that I mean I don't know who it was, but a member who has been a member of MASA for a long time with a very strong and positive reputation), I unfortunately don't recall who offered the link or the specific subject around it and how it came to light.

Bottom line, one MAY NOT sell locally caught life from the South African coastline to South Africans. I don't know about export, but specifically within our borders is illegal.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i researched this a few years ago with the motivation of controlling it not rapeing it and i can tell you that this is a very difficult and tricky area.. if there are polatitians involved anything is possible but MCM are very strict about who what and how this will impact the enviroment..

basically its got to be done in an area where the fish are in full swing and can replenish the population..

so for a small time LFS to claim they are getting this right may warrant a visit from MCM (marine and coastal management)..

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree with leslie..
    however they may be getting from Moz, they are granting small qty permits for trade etc

7. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

We need to tread carefully here.

Untimately if people start catching and selling local stock we might find ourselves in a situation where MCM decide we may not even collect for our own tanks.

Dont support illegal activities when it comes to wild life. I like my grandchildren to enjoy nature as I have and I'm sure you all agree.

8. leslie hempel

i agree with this.. well put and read my sig :)

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Personally until i see some sort of official legislation with my own eyes i will continue to believe that this is BS

And i Agree with Salty.... do NOT support Illegal activities

10. leslie hempel

look at the abalone species for example, you cannot take one as they have stopped it due to poaching..

marine fish and corals specifically have a higher value per gram so to speak so continued expoitation for profit will definatley lead to a simular ban...

Recent Posts