Lice on Gorgonian?

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by HOT SAUCE, 4 Jun 2014.

1. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi all

just now i noticed some small lice looking things crawling over a gorgonian frag i got from @Fraser W few months back... up until now it has been doing very well and all polyps are almost constantly open and extended ... yesterday however i noticed that it was closed but i didnt pay much attention as i though that maybe my Hermit had bumped into it or something...
    i took few pics sorry for the bad cellphone quality

IMG_20140604_183739.jpg

IMG_20140604_185456.jpg

IMG_20140604_185504.jpg

i took the frag out and put it in a bowl with some tank water and shook it vigorously and couldnt see any of the ''lice'' after but as soon as put it back the tank (near the same spot where it was before the ''lice'' reappeared... could they be in the sand? now the gorgonian is open again but the polyps are not as long as the normaly are.

any ideas :)

IMG_20140604_183739.jpg

IMG_20140604_185456.jpg

IMG_20140604_185504.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Can't see anything in the photo's. Are they not just normal pods?

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

hi... I think you might be right.. after inspecting the whole tank closely I noticed that in fact they are not only on the gorgonian but all over everything... rocks, glass, corals, even the little hair algae I've got in the tank. I read something online about pod infestations where their population becomes a problem.. is that even possible.. is it possible that they can irritate corals causing them to retract their polyps?

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Sorry I must be blind but I don't see lice only polyps...

6. CheriS

CheriS

They can irritate the corals if too many yes. Do you have a wrasse? Usually helps.

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

@MistaOrange sorry I knew the poor phone camera was not gonna be of any help... on the first picture there two white dots right on top of the coral tip on the second picture they are 5 and on the third they are 3.. all light on top of the branch.. on the third picture you can see a polyp trying to extend on top of the branch just to the right and in the base of the polyp there is a small white dot.. this are the things that I'm talking about.. please let me know if you still can't see them and I'll try and draw come circles over them

@CheriS I have a dragonet but it doesn't seem to be able to eat enough of them.. they are thousands in my tank. I also read that in their juvenile stage they are free swimming and also can irritate fish as they craw over them..

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Oh ok now that you pointed them out I can see. As Cheri said see if you have a wrasse they will sort it out in no time.

Recent Posts