LFS's not QT'ing fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rakabos, 19 Apr 2011.

1. rakabos

rakabos

Hi

So as some of you may know i have had a Brooklynella outbreak in my DT after buying a fish from a sponsor. This is the second occurrence of this with two different sponsors. I think we need to open a dialogue to them and make sure they QT their fish PROPERLY before selling them. Ultimately they will cause the wipeouts of many tanks and lose business as people quit the hobby. Maybe this should even become part of criteria to be a sponsor or is that going a bit far?

Not every person has the space or money to run a QT tank and depend on the LFS to supply healthy fish

What do you guys think

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

I would think that them Q/T the new lifstock would impact on the price they pass on to us as they need to care for the animals for that much longer than they would normaly....so we need to think wether we are prepared to pay more for lifestock?

4. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Id rather pay more and not have to run a QT or run the risk of a tank wipeout like now, but yeah i hear ya

5. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

They could also classify and charge more for those that have been QT'd

6. Donovan

Donovan

I think that QT should be standard practice by lfs even if they do charge i know that a couple of LFS wont even sell stock till they have QT;d them

7. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

I will GLADLY pay more money for fish that have been QT'd and I know that there is less risk of infection in my tank! It's a no brainer really.

To be brutally honest, there is only 1 shop that I know of in South Africa, that really gets this right, but unfortunately, that shop is 1400km from me.

I think that there is a huge risk of a Brooklynella epidemic that's about to hit our shores... If it hasn't already. I know of about 5 or 6 cases on both major SA forums, excluding my own break out.

I would like to warn the stores, as there is a problem on the rise... I don't know how big the risks are, but with Brook, I can only assume that they are fairly large... It would also suck if the LFS's get this crap in their tanks... That could be seriously costly to remove.

I hope the separate sponsors don't mind me calling for thier help on this?

@wild on pets @Steven @calvin@exotics @rugs @Die Visdam @Adam Scott @Perky pets superstore @lanzo @Tiger @bryan @Moolis @Bob the (reef)builder

Last edited: 19 Apr 2011
  9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

A small increase in price of LFS stock is nothing compared to the cost of the losses in a display tank.

But then LFS might also say that their stock is fine and that your other stock could have killed it. Will be hard to prove the exact point of infection. And some may say its quarantined and hike the price but they dont quarantine.

People will always find a way to bypass the system and make more money.

10. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

11. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Well it comes down to the shops' ethics then. If they say a fish was qt'ed and i know for a fact it caused a problem in my tank they wont see me again and i will make sure to let everyone know about it...

12. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

While this may be true, I think that all the stores who are sponsors at the moment, do actually care about the live stock. Stores that don't, naturally, aren't sponsors here...

13. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

BWHAHAHAHAAHHEHEHEHHHOHOHOHOH - u okes are funny:thumbup:

U guys want QT fish then be prepared to pay, 150 for a chromis, 1000 for a yellow tang, 2000 for a flame and 3000 for a Purple if not more

The costs, time as well as risks for the pet shops will not justify them QT all fish, Its your responsibility as a buyer to ensure that all the fish You buy are QT by yourself as you will not buy chromis at 150 each maybe more. I personally wont be able to it neither will people who want to get into the hobby as the prices will put people off immediately.

LFS are there to make money 1stly and 2ndly provide a service, the longer a fish stands the more risk it has plus it costs money here in GP to make salt water. There is a reason why LS do not have a guarantee. There are instances where entire shipments are DOA and maybe 1 box survives, the LFS looses out cos if he marks up prices nobody will buy.

You want healthy fish QT them before you put them in.

14. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Funny? Yeah real funny, cept im not laughing at all.

LFS have a responsibility whether they like it or not, I will be naming the next LFS who sells infected fish and warning people not too buy there

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

We were just as concerned as you guys are. This is why we are in the process of setting up a proper fish landing facility. Should be fully functional mid June. We
    Do not forsee exorbitant pricing of our stock. We should have a good idea in the coming weeks. So please do not flood me with questions at this stage.

Just one thing on QT. No matter how well a fish is landed and Qt at your LFS it most likely still carries pathogens. Also your tank carries pathogens that the newly introduced fish has never been in contact with. This sometimes gives the aquariust the impresion that the fish was sick when purchased. So
    Don't be to quick to point a finger at your LFS. To make sure get a scraping done on one of your existing fish.

16. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Not really the point of this thread here, in my opinion. Personally, I think that this thread is a warning to the LFS's that there is brooklynella floating around some of the stores. If you just pop a fish into QT for a week or 2, the Brook could still survive that and infect your DT anyways...

The thing I want to get out of this is just to warn the LFS's of a possible threat...

And yes, I would pay more for a Quarantined fish. Although, I think you are blowing the extra prices WAY out of proportion... Just be reasonable.

17. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

i would say 95% of the LFS in GP get fish from the same suppliers so anyone buying a new fish will be at risk at anytime.
    a proper QT is at least 4 weeks minimum and in that time u can treat the fish with dips etc.
    I totally get you but the fish store will not really care as they want to get the fish out ASAP to ensure max profit.
    I will stay say that its the buyers responsibility to QT all new fish bought. I bought fish from 4 of the Biggest sponsors on this forum and i experienced death from all. My own fault for not QT
    IF a LFS will QT fish and its a bit more expensive i WILL DEF support them but from my experience with a proper QT it will cost lots.
    Lets see what NJ has to offer

18. maxisoft

maxisoft

And I will be the first to add them to my "Blacklist" and continue the churn.....

19. maxisoft

maxisoft

I agree... we have an average startup cost in excess of 10k for most systems, be they cubes or nanos, etc.... If I were to pay an extra 50% for a healthy qt'd fish I would consider it.....

Just like most of us will pay the price from other members even if inflated.... cause we know the fish is healthy and comes from an environment where the previous owner wasn't in it for the money.... My 2c....:)

20. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

this is the only way, its like sleeping around without protection, eventually it will catch up

As stated before, fish can carry various pathogens and dieseases and not suffer from them, so u QT a fish for 4 weeks, its now a R100 more, as it is reefers in SA moan about prices, now the fish you have been watching has been qt'd, you take it home and qt the fish again, all is good, add him to the tank and WHAM your flame angel gets the diesease and dies, now where is the problem? who fault? i can tell you now from experience in its not the LFS. now go one step further, you have a healthy DT, no fish added for 3 weeks etc and you get a frag or coral from a LFS or reefer, do you dip it? infact if you do or dont it still wont stop the spread of Brooklynella, remember it takes 8 weeks for it to die out, but no-one ever thinks corals and the rocks they are on spread dieseases, so before you go blowing up and naming LFS's, prove without a doubt that there was no other way it could have made its way to your tank?

this is not how we solve issues here on MASA

so how do we solve this issue? well QT all your livestock no matter what and who from, so now before you all go on for costs, dont buy a coral or fish for 2 months and save the R400 that is needed to do this..let me explain

heater from builderswarehouse R70 50watt
    Plastic bucket container that holds 10L or more R50>
    MEdication R80
    Salt water, use from your DT, changed 3-4 days
    Seachem Prime - removes ammonia, nitrites - R100
    Patience - priceless

and if u cant do it, call me and i will provide it out of my own pocket, you can use for 4 weeks then return it, lets not start a salem witch trials and blame the LFS when we all know (a.) we should QT and (b.) its not a gaurantee

and i hope the LFS's agree with me

21. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

While I totally agree with what you have just typed up Dallas, I do think that the LFS's should also take precautions for a disease like Brooklynella. Especially if it is currently doing the rounds in the LFS's around the country.

Can you imagine they get a great shipment in and 4 days later all their fish have died from a Brooklynella infection? Then who is it that loses out? It's certainly not the hobbiest. The shop could be devastated by a massive loss of livestock in this way. All it takes is one net to infect every tank in the LFS.

After learning my lesson with this disease, I will never buy another fish without them being properly Quarantined for at lease a month to 6 weeks. But seriously, there are guys on this site that will flout the fact that they have never quarantined a fish in their lives! This advice is stupid, in my opinion, and I'm sure in many other peoples opinions as well, but Noobs will follow that advice, because to QT fish is an absolute mission.

It's just such a pity that there is no really helpful stuff on the net about Brooklynella infections. It sucks.

Recent Posts