LFS's and Quarantine

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nemos Janitor, 30 Oct 2009.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@Yuri, I am sorry but discount is not an excuse. It is totally irresponsible not to quarantine livestock before sale. Now i I'm not picking on ***** because almost all of the LFS that land stock do not quarantine.

Now what i am saying is that the the LFS is expecting the customer to take the fall for poor health fish that might not make a quarantine stint in a stores quarantine facility but are highly desirable so that it becomes a quick money making thing at the live stocks expense. But to the LFS pocket.

Why not take the initiative and pioneer quarantining in SA. You will be very much respected and most aquarists will gladly pay a little more for these goods.

Mods PLS move this post to another thread as it is not intended to have a go at ***** but rather one at the livestock industry as a whole. And hopefully our other sponsors will take note. I am sure all SA aquarists will appreciate better quality LS that have a far greater survival rate.

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Oct 2009
    IMarine likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SCOOBY

SCOOBY SCOOBY

GoOd 1...

4. Yuri

Yuri

if it is a invert i will go for the 10%
    If it is a cheep hardy fish i will go for 10%
    If it is a expensive or a fish that die easy i will go the quarantine

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

:( how about just paying a FAIR price for LS that is given the BEST chance of long term survival in our tanks ????? i.e. living out their complete expected life span ???

how about us as the comsumers taking some responsibility and supporting LFS's that treat the LS with the respect they deserve ?????

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

OK i moved this one myself as it was posted whilst the above was moved.

@Yuri No, The point of quarantining fish and corals is showing responsibility, integrity, concern for the LS, consideration for the quantity of stock removed from our oceans etc. You seem to think that these 10% discount items are indispensable no matter what harm may be caused to them or they my cause. Well they are not. They will soon become harder to acquire and if the LFS do not make an effort to be responsible and start to be proactive then the hobby and business will be restricted due to the lack of foresite. Already there are business members fighting for keeping import permits open. So if the LFS does not show concern and come up with a self code of ethnics then i am afraid the hobby might be doomed due to there greediness.

Imagine the authorities saying no more imports. You guys have shown no respect for the LS available in the past.

The LFS will only have themselves to blame. Remember. "I TOLD YOU SO" It is coming faster than you think

Last edited: 30 Oct 2009
  7. Yuri

Yuri

i have stop to buy at this pet shop
    1 I was not geting stuf i have orderd
    2 thy do not import them selfs
    3 i like more exotic fish

I like lonzo dory pets he imports him self
    a fish is eating when he sale it to you
    and he always try and help out whe there is sum thing in your tank that you do not want any more
    And he even changes exporters to get what you want

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

@Yuri lets leave out the names of the entities. It is not fair on them. Lets rather discuss the issues so that all the players can take something out of it.

You brought up the point of changing export suppliers to obtain certain species. This might provide a better variety but has a huge impact in landing fish responsibly. Different fish farms/collecting stations/distributors have various strains of pathogens/bacteria always present on their stock. Now The fish held and quarantined in these "responsible" facilities become, due to their geographical location, immune to those potential life threatening nasties. Now a LFS gets these specimens in and without quarantining them mixes them with stock from another supplier. All the stock from all the different suppliers are now at risk of contracting diseases from each other.

In the ideal situation a LFS that imports from various sources needs to have Quarantine and housing/display for sale, facility for each supply source. This costs money, and will naturally add to the sale price. But what is the additional cost? Maybe one of our sponsors would like to elaborate on this issue. I would like to see a model drawn up by our responsible LS importers with an indication of the long term cost analysis including profit reduction/increase, stock loss and environment impact. There will obviously be those things that are difficult to measure like customer perception.

Now there is another aspect to this hot potato. That is captive bread specimens. I have yet to see a LFS or sponsor on this forum offer captive bread stock for sale. I exclude the frag swapping guys for now (Well done guys), as they are not very much liked by the LFS as they are seen as a threat to their business. Without these cottage industry type breeding and propagation outfits the hobby will have no future.

I would hope to see this community help assist the LFS and Breeders/coral farmers achieve a goal of self sustainability. Initially as a guidance and reward (By supporting) the transformation towards a responsible industry.

Yup we need to educate all involved so please excuse if i become a PITA. There is a lot at stake right now so if all falls down it will take many years to remedy. Chin up, we can do it.

9. IMarine

IMarine

Very Well said Nemos Janitor

10. Jaak

Jaak

Kudos Nemos Janitor!!

Recent Posts