LFS keeping sharks

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Trev, 27 Jan 2011.

1. Trev

Trev

Guys there are many species that are inappropriate and you can ask some guys who know me I can bend these rules some becuase I have alot of experiance with some of these inappropiate species. But where I draw the line is Sharks!!! I was at a LFS yesterday and they had 2 sharks there which were not pre-ordered just ordered as normal stock someone at this store told me that one customer is coming to pick them both up in a few days. So I asked about the tank if they knew what size tank he had, yes replied the guy he bought the tank from us a year ago one of these and he pointed to a 1.2m tank similar to a aqua H2o but a different name. This is crazy and very irresponsible for LFS to stock sharks.

Trev

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

surely they can be reported to the authorities?

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

What species are they?
    I tend to agree with you on keeping sharks. Unless you have a huge tank and adequate filtration, they should be left in the sea.

5. Jeann1

Jeann1

Dont realy know if I can say something - if not sorry...But that really sucks....clearly $$$ is the motivation here..very very sad :(

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i was involved with a quote to build a tank for a guy who wanted to keep sharks and i refused to build anything under 2meter squared, sharks need alot of room to move in order to keep their respitory system going 100%

needless to say the quote was never actioned, but i was happy about it. A serious enthusuast would have done the research to care for them to his utmost abilities and not just care about the novelty.

7. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

No nothing they look similar to local sand shrks but were imported so its legal but very unethical

8. rakabos

rakabos

legal yes but also cruel, so i am sure the SPCA could probably have thing to say?

9. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Well one would have though so but they were rather cheap under 350 each. I think its a clear indication of a LFS store that dont realy know what they are doing or perhaps dont care. Marines are not their main line in fish

10. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

possibly

11. marsbrat

marsbrat

If it is the same store, I was there too. Here is a pic... They were about 20 to 30cm...

[​IMG]

12. marsbrat

marsbrat

They also had these Sea Horses in the tank next door!

13. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Similar but no not the same

14. marsbrat

marsbrat

Ok...anyone care to identify this specie anyways!?

15. calvin@exotics

calvin@exotics

Hi Folks

We did bring in two marble cat sharks, these fish were ordered by a customer who owns a 3.2m predator system, and he currently has a shark as well as a more than capable team maintaining his systems

I assure you we do not order stock without weighing up the pros and cons and with cat sharks it’s an easy one, we will not order unless we are 100 percent certain the animal will be cared for properly! Cat and shy sharks do not require the same swimming space as pelagic and free swimming species, they spend much of their time resting under a overhang or cave and forage on the bottom at night, please rest assured the owner of these fish will do a stellar job at maintaining them!

We also bring in other “challenging” species such as seahorses and jellyfish and once again these are pre ordered and will be cared for by myself personally in a clients system.
    Conscientious reef keeping all the way :thumbup:

Be well

16. Togra

Togra

Must say , I purchased a Bamboo Shark as a beginner , HUGE mistake. Never mind getting to grow , I could not get it to eat , and well my LFS just sold me more and more food when ultimately the shark died of starvation.

My opinion , Sharks should be out of the question , and the local trade ( including LFS without exclusions to those with godly opinions of themselves ) should support that notion.

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

As far as I know, the smallest species such as Bamboo sharks grow up to 1.5m, so very few people would have a tank big enough for them. It is just wrong for a shop to stock these.. but hey, if a guy came to your shop and ordered sharks and you are making a nice profit then not many of us would interrogate him

18. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

100% right Cal that is the way to do it if there is a way / are the ones in the pics from your shop. I know you personaly would never involve yourself with randomly ordering inappropriat species.

19. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

See now this is the thing that needs to be avoided, your situation is exactly the same as the guy who is or has bought these two sharks IMO. I think shops that randomly order sharks without them being preordered sould be avoided like a plague

20. Togra

Togra

Perhaps , I guess it boils down to the ethics of the staff at the LFS.

21. rakabos

rakabos

+1

Recent Posts