LFS in Cape Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
I have been into fresh water tanks for a while and have been satisfied with the stores in the nothern suburbs of Cape Town that I know about. Now that I have a marine nano and a 29g cycling in at the moment I am not satisfied anymore. Are there any good stores in the southern suburbs or any decent ones in the northern suburbs?

Jacques (or anyone else), I have had requests via PM for shops in Cape Town.

Please list the names and addresses in this thread of all known LFS shops in Cape Town, thanks :)

Aquality
Sams
Phuture Lab
Aqua Concepts
Northern Aquatics

These are the ones I know of.

Sams
Phuture Lab
Northern Aquatics

I REALLY wont touch stock from these stores... Phuture labs should be known as Phraude Lab...

i was quiet impressed with the range of equipment and additives that Sams offered when i visited CT recently.

he will sell you something you dont need... he sell guys marines tanks, LR, skimmer, Salt, fish, corals etc all in one go. he sell fresh water guys a 2ft tank, 40 neons and 2 oscars.... he is out to make a quick buck and WILL sell your sick fish...

Agree on the over sell but on some AM and Tunze equipment I have wanted I got best prices from him.

Hi Alfie. They are around the corner from my office in Parow. Not big into marines. I used to get some fresh water stuff from them. They do stock some seachem stuff and the Omega One range of foods. Will still rather get seachem from Liaquat.

I commissioned Phraudalab to build a 2.5 meter tank for me......................................................................... six months later when they finished the job I was stunned to see not a single panel was straight and I was advised by one of Cape Town's most prominent tank builders that I should under no circumstances fill it!
I would strongly advise against doing any business with them, I certainly won't again, I have pictures of the "completed" tank, clamps still in place, records of the transactions and witnesses to all the above.
I would most certainly take legal action against them but I suspect they are such accomplished phraudsters that it would cost me more than it is worth!
Should any representatives of that amateur unprofessional thieving company wish to take umbrage with these facts please feel free to, I'm sure you know where to find me, it will be a phleasure to see you in court! :wave2:

Welcome to MASA. Yeah we can list all the LFS in Cape Town it does not mean to say that one uses them. Through experience one tends to know who you want to do bussiness with and who not.

Thanks Alfie, I do agree, but in this instance I have made it a bit of a crusade to warn people about that bunch of jokers.

Phraudalab charge the Two Oceans R40 000 for 2 calcium reactors that took them 6 months to get... blaiming it on the importing agents... they just never ordered the stuff for 6 months!

Also had a problem waiting for stuff which was "just not arriving from the importers".

Hi there Fishy Steve,

I am sorry that just by requesting a list of shops you ended up with a gripe session, the reality is I suppose that there are not many LFS that live up to our expectations, Northern Aquatics for example is the sorriest excuse for a marine section I have ever seen, equipment selection is poor and staff knowledge is just dangerous and I voice my disatisfaction every time I go there, that being said, they are helping me build my tank and were between R1500 - R3500 cheaper than anywhere else.. you have to take what you can get.

Panarama seem to be looking into going the marine route, they only have one small nano up at the moment and it is not for sale, so boo !

I really do recommend Elite Aquatics.. they are far though in fishhoek, but they area pparently opening up a shop in the southern suburbs and northern suburbs soon.

Sams is fine as long as you don't ask Sam himself to setup your tank, he will pull out all the old crap from the back and flog it off as new.. LOL, that being said, you WILL get a fantastic selection of equipment, fish etc.. well worth the visit and prices are good.

Aquaconcepts is town is quite nice as well, I picked up a little red legged hermit crab there yesterday.. Not the cheapest place around.

Guys.. try to say something positive about a LFS to noobs on the site yeah, we are here to encourage peeps to do well in the hobby, IMO warning peeps about poor service at LFS is one thing, slamming the LFS at every opportunity is not gonna put them out of business but it may stop noobs from expanding the hobby and it gives MASA a bad name not just the individual with a personal crusade.. ! At the very least , give the noob an alternative.

My 2c

Last edited:
Good point Muz. I am sure that somebody has had a bad experience at every possible shop. Concentrate on the positive and make this hobby great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom