LFS Expectations

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 4 Apr 2010.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Been reading another post regarding bad serve, poor advice etc from the LFS. Now here is my Q...what does a reefer expect, and I would be irresponsible in saying that a lot of the mistakes we make are not from our own making / stubbornness.

We have ideas, thoughts & plans... we want to follow these , sometimes no matter what advice we get

Comments would be appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

I would think alot of LFS and members alike are too scared to ask what might sound like a "stupid" question and the one thing that this hobby should teach everyone is patience .... Another problem I would think is LFS and members too scared to say "I dont know the answer but will ask around and get back to you...." Then do that .... ask here on MASA and compare answers to what would be the most appropriate answer .... - for now thats all...

4. xtreme

xtreme

Frans,, you you you still great in my eyes, your web service and mailing still superb, still have to buy something;)

goes for you,Lanzo and Moolis
    I'm sitting on the other side and you guys and offcourse MASA members is helping me a lot.

thanks to all:thumbup:
    you guys tell me something, then I go read up, then i come back to you

5. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!

Even here on MASA, you ask for advice, you get advice and then one member comments "Don't do this"!
    What should the newbie believe?

Another thing is, how many shop owners do we know, who don't have a clue about marines? I know a few already.

It's all about passion. If the LFS is just doing it for a living, change your LFS!
    And it's about trust. How many LFS do you, where you feel comfortable and follow his advice blind?

Only a happy reefer will set up a second tank or upgrade to a bigger system.
    I believe the majority of experienced reefers just buy what they need and where they get a good price. That's why we all know almost every LFS!

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

That's why I said MIGHT as you and I and everyone else in the world are individuals and whats good for you might not be good for me but if I asked for help and someone offers it and I look at their personal tank and all looks good then they should know what they talking about but is not always the case and everyone here should take advice with a pinch of salt.....

Very true.....

7. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Interesting opinions being raised :thumbup: Always wondered if the same things that peed me off / impressed me about any LFS did the same to others....

Al

8. LuckyFish

Once a professional/crook, always a professional/crook!

I know out of experience the following.

If you start your hobby with LFS "A" and you purchase let´s see a RO-unit from LFS "B", maybe some livestock from LFS "C" and LFS "A" is aware of the fact, you buy all over, LFS "A" will most likely drop his service.
    One day, when you got a problem and you ask LFS "A" for advice, the advice will be followed by expensive equipment. And it might not even solve your problem.

The message behind it is, trust has to be build up from both sides. We are all humans and we are different, especially in the way of thinking.
    If I´m not Mr Perfect and know marines better than any LFS and I choose to start with LFS "A", give LFS "A" a chance to match the price for the RO-unit from LFS "B".
    If I bought a used skimmer and my LFS knows, I need a skimmer, I tell him that I bought a used skimmer. At least he will know, you did not buy the skimmer at LFS "B or C". Did I tell you, Frans?:)

Fairness and honesty from both sides will make the difference, it´s just like any other relationship.

9. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

LOL Marcel, you did tell me (I still said you got a very good deal...I would have charged you an arm & a leg :razz:). IMHO you are right, trust needs to go both ways, but lets see comments

10. LuckyFish

I know Frans, that´s why I bought a used one!:razz:

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

In my opinion you need to build a good relationship with a particular LFS. I've got a few good relationships with certain LFS and they will help me out whatever the occasion, personal relations go a long way in this hobby.

And by the way FransSny, after dealing with Lanzo, your company is exactly what I expect of an LFS.

12. Jaak

Jaak

To me it's all about honesty!! As marcel said, you tend to start of with lfs "A" and eventually end only buying from LFS "E". I have now found my preferred LFS's and they are very much aware that I shop at 3 LFS's in total. I tell them what I can get where and if they can't match the price, etc it's just one of those things. I have to look after my own pocket too. But when it comes to LS i will pay more for healthy quarantined fish...
    I also believe that if Honesty was many LFS's main aim then we would not get ripped off at certain LFS's. Nuf said.

13. Manic

Manic Moderator

Very true, Jaak. I'm honest with my preferred LFS and since I spend a lot of money at them, they match any price of any other LFS out there. There have been occasions when they don't have stuff and I get it from other shops, but I'm honest with them. I always buy live stock from this shop though as they will keep fish for me for weeks before I buy it. Actually at the moment they are keeping a purple tang for me for about a week or two since I just added 4 anthias (want to give my bacteria a chance to recover), and this is the reason I will be loyal to them...

14. LuckyFish

I second that. Dorry pets (Frans and Lanzo) got the right attitude for this business!

15. Manic

Manic Moderator

Primarily because it is a hobby that turned into a business and not the other way around.

16. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

mmm, seems like with everything else honesty seems to be the key.

just a last word from my side, all of us (new, guru, LFS etc) should always be aware of requirements for live stock, equipment etc...BEFORE walking into any shop. Who buys a car before checking specs ? At least a car can be fixed / serviced

Pleas remember the onus is just as much on the buyer as the LFS (although some LFS's does take advantage of ignorance).

17. LuckyFish

What I still don´t understand is, how the majority of business owners are doing business.
    That´s in general for any business.
    If you as a business owner deliver good service, good prices, good workmanship, good after sale service, etc., then there is no need for advertisement and no lack customers!
    But the reality is different. Usually you get poor service, poor wrokmanship,etc and after you paid your invoice, you will never see them again.

No pride in what the people are doing!

18. LuckyFish

Tell me something new, I´m going the same route!

19. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Dont lie Marcel, its not your hobby , its your passion ;)

20. LuckyFish

Yep, do your homework first before you going to buy livestock.
    But then usally the problem starts. I want that fish, can you bring them in?
    You write your number down and never ever you will receive a call.
    I am so glad that is already changing.

21. Manic

Manic Moderator

True, but hopefully it is yours as well FransSny ;)

Recent Posts