Lets talk about salt

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Snoek, 19 Jul 2014.

1. Snoek

Snoek

So after much reading its not clear imo what the best salt is for sps. I decided today to get Aquavitro salinity. Please share your reasons why you use the salt you use. Lets try leave price out of it

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

The best sps salt is the one that has the parameters you want to keep.

4. JackSplat

JackSplat

I have been using red sea pro for the reason as mentioned by butcherman

5. nepellew

nepellew

Ill second that on the Rea Sea salt soo far the best ive ever used ...

6. Jonathan Radloff

Jonathan Radloff

I also agree on Red Sea Pro

7. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Don't get me wrong, but an interesting topic indeed.

I see many many tanks and all have their own preferred choice of salt.

The tanks that I speak about are stunning and maintained by seasoned reefers.

All these tanks are run on varying salt brands. Seachem, AM, Deltec and even SERA reef salts.

All these tanks imo are the best I've viewed and all have their choice of brand they will stick too. Their tanks are absolutely stunning.

So to conclude if you use a salt that costs R900 it does not make your reef advantages than a guy using a salt that costs R500.

It boils down to other factors BUT most importantly the HUSBANDRY of how you maintain your reef.

Unless we judge apples with apples we cannot conclude.

In reefkeeping we cannot judge apples with apples.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2014
  8. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

Andre for once someone agrees with me. Lol
    Fact is that yes salt is not cheap vs. Us or EU.
    I have used Red Sea coral pro but I never ever got near the claims on the bucket.
    I used Seachem and yes yes yes it gives what it claims.
    Today I mixed salt and ro and I was shocked.
    It was the 1st time ever that I did not have a issue with 1 of the basic parameters.
    I heat the water to 20deg and then only add the salt. I then mix the salt with a massive wooden spoon.
    I was advised to try aquavitro salinity and I can only thank the reefer that advised me to use it.
    I have always spent some time getteing my Ca, Kh or Mg to be equal to my tank's parameters.
    Yes Aquavitro is not cheap but if I factor the time I am away from my 2 boys into the equation then my boys and the tank wins today.

9. 4age

4age

@Snoek...I think alot of reefers also do not look at what type of tank they wish to achieve before using a specific salt and I think that's important. I was going to purchase red sea pro until I realised that if I ran a ulns (which I want to do in the near future) the high kh of the pro salt could have caused possible issues with sps. I have the same debate with guys who keep softies and claim that 2 oceans water is bad...I think otherwise. .If a reefer understands his tank and what he wants to achieve he can then get the correct salt accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

In your very top post you were looking for opinions to various salt brands. I said that I've seen many beautiful tanks were a wide range of salts are used.

In your last post seems like you very happy with salinity, great going.

As I've seen so many beautiful tanks using an array of brands and I say it again, its more HUSBANDRY than the salt (if you are using a general reputable salt brand) ...

If your not passionate about your reef, you can use salt that costs R200 or R800 it wont make a difference. you just won't be doing what a reef needs.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2014
  11. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

Its not that I am happy with the said product Andre. Its just the 1st product that i did not have to add to fix the claimed parameters. honestly I feel that we dont have enough options in RSA.
    4Age I agree 100% Jhb people have the option of a brand or 2 we dont have so this leaves us with a limited option.
    Yes some use nsw but I go fishing on weekends and often have entered Ct harbour so that is the main reason I will not use the water...... its not clean imo.

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

To me it would seem that there is an issue in mixing to the recommended SALINITY.

13. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Why would you go to all the temperature effort if you mix to 35ppt?

as i said... there is an issue in the understanding of Salinity and the mixing. The biggest reason for reefers believing that what is stated on the bucket is not achieved in the mix. If your salinity is out, so then is the other parameters stated on the bucket.

15. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

as mentioned above, need to choose a salt based on its params, no use trying to run your ULNS tank with alk at 7kDh when you use red sea coral pro with an alk of 12.4 kDh :)

16. jimilutz

jimilutz

I used Seachem to start with. I figured that during my initial stocking most of my livestock was coming from a LFS that was using it, so it would be easier for acclimation. I then moved to Red Sea Coral Pro when I got tired of adjusting the Ca and Alk on every change. I am nearly finished my first bucket of Microbe Lift Reef Salt, I started using this because my local stores were out of the Red Sea Coral Pro. I am very happy with the results and it seems this is super dry like the Salinity, so you use less to get the same results. I have just bought a second bucket.
    I was going to try Salinity because of its Triple lab tested contents guarantee but then saw that the figures vary between batches (but are theoretically very accurate) and decided that the extra price meant I would still have some admin so it wasn't worth it.

17. Snoek

Snoek Thread Starter

I used Aquavitro and for the 1st time ever I got the resalt that's posted on the bucket. Glad to see there is a 2nd option. I used Red Sea coral pro when I restarted my tank and never got the values on the parameters as they claim. Aiden from RS was kind and sent me a 7KG bucket but once again it did not come near the values that was claimed. I am not trying to have a dig at RS I am just trying to see if there are people happy with the salt that they buy.

18. jimilutz

jimilutz

While there may not be a "best salt", I do think there is a "worse salt" if you are keeping coral. After my bad experience with a Ca test kit , I was educated in the effects of Boron/Borate on Alkalinity. AdvancedAquarist has quite a few articles explaining this and explaining the Seachem elevated Boron effect on alkalinity. There are also quite a few threads here if you know that you are supposed to look out for Borate.
    When starting off on this Seachem salt, my pH was always at 8.5 and my dKH at 8-9. It seems that using this salt led me to think that I had enough CO3 but the reading was probably all B. No wonder my corals didn't thrive and my Diatoms where such late bloomers.
    I think it would really have been helpful if someone at the LFS had said to me something along the lines of "I see you are buying the wrong salt to go with that R5000 coral purchase"

19. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Just to expand on what 4age and Dallas mentioned.

ULNS system require a lower alk (6.5-8.5) DKH. Anything higher or lower will cause tips on SPS to burn. Now by running your tank at a DKH of 8, and then use for eg. Red Sea Pro salt with a DKH of 12+, you end up burning your SPS.

One of the reasons why many reefers stick to the Red Sea blue bucket salt. But remember, The Pro will work fine on a SPS tank that is not nutrient starved.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2014
  20. Monti

Monti

This does of course then get influenced by how much of a percentage water change you do... and how much swing is really permissable. a 5% water change will not change your DKH that much

But in essence yeah I agree.

21. makharold

makharold

Very very interesting ,wonder what salt they use @ the lfs I buy my premixed salt

Recent Posts