Lets do this!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dewald@Dorry, 25 May 2009.

1. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Hi Guys and Gals,

It's like this. I went to my LFS yesterday and something got over me and forced me to buy sea salt and a powerhead . . . (Should have never done this!!!:lol: Now things are just starting to heat up!)

I slapped the powerhead in my Jebo and WOW:yeahdude:!! Marine, here I come!!

My sutuation is like this:

Need to get rid of my fresh water Jebo. Don't feel like converting it! Already posted some threads to sell urgently.:thumbup:

Then I need a new tank with lots of potencial. Anybody selling something, please let me know????;)

What I have so far:

• Canister Filter filled with bio balls only,
    • 300W heater,
    • 1 Power Head,
    • Broken ship wreck,
    • Sea Salt (Sera),
    Once I get something decent to start with, i'll provide you with progress!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hi Tiger, welcome to the gang, take your time and read,read,read, nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

You won't need the bio-balls if you use live rock, and as for the broken ship wreck...........NO!!!:)

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome To Masa!

glad u researching before plunging in, there are a few of us in jhb that can show u the ropes and give good guidance.
    What size tank are you looking at? what type of tank and your ultimate goal?

dallas

5. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry Thread Starter

Thinking about it now, I agree with the NO!! on the ship wreck. Would like to go for a natural look as close to nature as possible.

Thanks for the tip on the Bio-balls, although I would like to apply the theory of over filtration! Should I still keep the canister and what can I use it for??

dallasg - I'm looking at a 50gallon tank. I'll most probably start with FO and as my tank matures, add corals etc.

If somebody have a 50g tank please let me know!!:thumbup:

6. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

You could use the cannister to run carbon and phosphate remover, many reefers use this method, not as effective as using reactors but it will owrk till you want to spend out lots of money.

7. dallasg

50g is about a 4ft, if budget permits, i would look at 1500x500x500 to start, its a nice size, 345 odd liters, will make a great FO and reef tank in the futute by simply upgrading your lights.

you would also need to add a sump, which i would go for 1200x400x400

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey Tiger... welcome to this hobby. Heroin will never be as addictive as this I PROMISE!!!

Anyway, the first thing to considder when starting out is budget!!! Obviously, the bigger you go, the more expensive the hobby is... BUT, the smaller you go, the more challenging it becomes. More water volume promotes a more stable system, as in a small tank, things can go wrong much quicker...

Then you need to decide, Marine (fish mostly) tank or Reef (coral mostly) tank. IMO a reef tank is more expensive, and harder to keep than most fish species.

After that is done, do not just look at budgeting all the equipment, also consider the plumbing, multiplugs, your water volume (cost @ +/- R2 p.l) and LR that is costing +/- R120 p/kg. In a 1,5m tank as dallas suggested, you need plenty of LR. If you add say 20 kg of lr, it would cost you R2400 just on rock!! Water movement in bigger tanks requires more attention and and and... the list goes on...

I am not trying to scare you, but I entered this hobby thinking I'd get away with R2000 for a complete reef tank ... DUH!!!! What then happens with reefers, is they do not add what is really important, and they go way under par, then all hell breaks loose within a month inside the tank, and they think this hobby sucks... This is an ongoing expense hobby - like any other...

So do your homework... and decide beforehand what EXACTLY you want to keep, and build around that (well, after you had a nice discussion with your "governemnt/wife")

BUT ENJOY THE RIDE MY FRIEND. And ask PLEASE if you have q's!!! :thumbup:

Reef Maniac likes this.
  9. koeks

koeks

destroy the ship now:slayer:

10. Dewald@Dorry

Thanks for great advise thus far.. Every bit of information helps!!

Currently looking on Junk-Mail for a tank. It really is to expensive bying new tanks!!

11. Jaco Schoeman

Well, you always have the option to go DIY. The only issue I have with even second hand tanks, is that you do not know who it was built by... Anyone, can stick 5 panels of glass together with silicone, but there are factors like base thickness, glass thickness, bracing etc etc to considder... Thus, what size tank would you like, and how much can you spend on the glass tank iteself? You can get a std 3 foot for R350 and a 4ft for R800. Then you can just brace it yourself, to reinforce it, and then diy your cabinet and canopy. That works out much cheaper!!! I had a std 3 foot, and it was great!!! You just get it drilled...

12. Dewald@Dorry

How many litres of water does a standard 4f tank take??

13. Jaco Schoeman

The size is aprox 1200 x 500 x 400 so that is about 240 litres in total. But then you dont fill it up all the way, there are a bit of volume lost with adding LR, yet you would have a sump too, that adds about 50 - 60 litres, thus you can work on aprox 250 - 280 litres in total for a 4 foot tank... It has nice depth (500) and the hight (400) is lekka for lights...

14. inflames

inflames

Hi Tiger,

I run a 4 foot tank, with just a little smaller sump than a 3 foot. I would personally recommend getting a 5 or 6 foot with a 4 foot sump! Then you dont have to worry about upgrading later on! If you take it slow, real slow, you can look around for some bargains (like I did) while your tank cycles for about 2 or 3 months!

15. Dewald@Dorry

I would love a 5 or 6 foot tank, but don't have the space for it! I would love to build the entire set-up myself, but are quite fond of the cabinet tank setups and don't have the equipment to build the wood finishes!!

16. inflames

inflames

Then go for a 4 foot (probably about the smallest I would go) with a 3 foot sump. You should be able to pick both up for R600 or R800. I did the cabinet making myself...was not that bad. Got Marine ply wood that I just sanded and varnished with Marine varnish (they use it on yachts) with Ebony dye. Looks black with a wood grain to it and will (should) never fade or warp. But if you don't have time then look for 1 thats built already! Good luck in which ever way you decide to go!

17. Dewald@Dorry

Good news!! I sold my Jebo. I now have some cash to spend on a marine tank. I'm really considering building the tank myself!

18. dallasg

cool, while building a tank is not that difficult, just time consuming, i would suggest after u have completed your tank and let it cure for 48 hours, leave it outside filled to brim for a few days to see that it holds and no leaks

19. Jaco Schoeman

Ditto on Dallas. Also make sure you have the glass cut straight, you must have the tank level. Also look for any bubbles or chips on the glass, as it will not hold with that... That is why I rather suggest you buy a standard 3 / 4 foot. You'll see that buying the glass to build a 4 foot, is not that much cheaper than just buying a ready built one from a lfs... I have done this homework before. You also save on the effort.

But good luck with what ever you decide... :thumbup:

20. Pads

Pads

Hey Tiger, I suggest going with the DIY option, it may seem a little more effort but IMO you get great satisfaction from designing, building and scaping the tank yourself.
    But the best thing to do is research. There are plenty of tank building threads plus useful tips on the plumbing ie) overflow, sump, algae scrubbers, closed loops etc.
    Just check out the DIY section its packed with awesome info. What you can save on the expensive equipment you can spend on Live Stock. All the reefers can say that they are constantly planning new tanks and gadgets to make there tank more successful. Its never ending just take it slow. Good Luck mate and enjoy ;)

21. Dewald@Dorry

Decisions, Decisions!

I went to look at some tanks at various petshops to try and get an idea of how I should go about building my set-up. Must say that my heart is really pulling towards a 5 foot set-up.

Comparing the 4f and 5f is a huge differnce. The 5f has so much more potencial! :thumbup:

The 4 foot is almost the same size as my Jebo I sold!! Don't really want to settle for the same size but need to re-arrange my hole house to accomodate the 5f.:lol:PLus get past my wife!!:p

The cheapest price they could offer for the 5f wooden cabinet setup with drilled overflow box and sump is R5500. Sh#t that is alot of money!!

My preference is to build my own setup, but am still considering bying if I come across a great deal as I don't really have the equipment or space to empark on such a task, but will if I have to.

Well, thats my update so far. Will let you know what happened after the w-end!

Recent Posts