Leslie's 2ft Nano

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
Ok so after all the years of resisting buying into the Hype of the zoa's i have finally given in!

I have tried many zoas in my larger systems before but being a fan of Angels and specifically centropyges i have always had them get eaten.

So i finally just decided to get a small system going to see if i can actually get these things to grow out.

Inspiration for the system is Jourdys Zoa reef, and this really shows what is possible with zoas and the variety there are available. with the current imports of more rare zoas into SA I'd say I chose the correct time to start this system :)

Thanks to @Hails for my Rainbows and hornets I got over the weekend.

the sad part is i actually had some Stunning Zoas from when @Kunhardt shut down some time ago, they are still evident in my main system in places but i am unable to get them out of the crevices they have sunk into in order to keep out of the angels way. i hope these can be salvaged to some extent.

System size is: 600 x 400 x 400mm black silicone built by myself
full.png

Flow: Aqamai KPS pump - fully wifi controllable this pump is TINY!
full.jpg

Lighting: Aqamai LRM 100w LED - filly wifi controllable
full.jpg

Skimmer: Coralbox D300
full.jpg

Return pump: still deciding
Scape: Reef Rock

The tank will have a small sump with ATU to keep top offs up to standard. i will try run carbon to keep toxins at bay, thinking of running mostly mechanical filtration given that the system will be species specific.

im not too sure about fish yet but a pair of something would look nice, maybe i will buy into the hype of the exotic clownfish? or perhaps just a pair of oceanops or yasha gobies. i think a small tang may be needed (call tang police) but i will perhaps make use of a simple caught species like a convict as im hoping the zoas will be the stars of the show.

havent started a thread on a build in some time so what am i leaving out?

Maybe a little Lawnmower Blenny or Seahare? They are rather decent with eating algae. Going to look awesome Les!

thanks Hails, great suggestions ive always had a facination with Jose's fish selection in the Iwagumi Reef its an area i have not tapped into before and im exited to look at something different from the norm!

The only issue that is going to present itself once the system is going, presuming it is going to be successful, is zoanthids fighting for space. I had about 7 varieties on a rock, until the larger zoanthids took out everything and I was left with 3 species.

I have had to adjust my thinking to each zoanthids species gets its own rock.

The only issue that is going to present itself once the system is going, presuming it is going to be successful, is zoanthids fighting for space. I had about 7 varieties on a rock, until the larger zoanthids took out everything and I was left with 3 species.

I have had to adjust my thinking to each zoanthids species gets its own rock.

great advice thank you, im optomistic that it will be a good problem to have :). my acrctic phalys grow like crazy and overgrow even my sps, im no strangeer to discem tweezers lol

great advice thank you, im optomistic that it will be a good problem to have :). my acrctic phalys grow like crazy and overgrow even my sps, im no strangeer to discem tweezers lol
The best problem to have hehe. Good luck with the venture, I am not an Angel lover so my tank can have the ZOA garden fortunately. Just purchased Purple Monsters and King Midas zoanthids from the previous American shipment.

The best problem to have hehe. Good luck with the venture, I am not an Angel lover so my tank can have the ZOA garden fortunately. Just purchased Purple Monsters and King Midas zoanthids from the previous American shipment.

awsome to know, please keep me posted if you have any frags in future,

LET THE BUMMING BEGIN!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Aquaforest stonefix'ed my rocks tonight to build a bit of a branched scape. Love this stuff. Once you know how to work with it it's really a breeze, the biggest problem is the temptation to move the structure too soon. This stood for an hour. I accelerated drying by using a hairdryer making the stone fix more plyable and being able to use it to build up in areas, I then add more water to retard cure. Good or bad well see, but you can pretty much hold the last floating piece added and the structure. Its stuck for life!

Some pics to show how it came out.

20181011_205351.jpg

20181011_205414.jpg

20181011_205426.jpg

Last edited:
Guys i have just gotten a whatsapp from a friend of mine who is only today being released from hospital aftering being diagnosed with Phalytoxin poisioning on sunday, please do realise that this is a really REAL threat!

We need to be careful when working with these beautiful creatures, it was only through luck that he mentioned to his doctor that he had been working on his marine tank.

Remember doctors wont know how to treat these things unless it is brought to their attention. Please do advise your loved ones that should you fall ill this is a likley possibility!

Phalytoxin is REAL and while im going to continue to keep gorgeous zoanthids in my reefs im deffinatley going to educate my family more about them.

Last edited:
Reef X-tra-X cubes will help them grow faster for sure! In two weeks I've had about 12 new heads between my new beauties!

Hi. Sorry to hijack your thread @lesliehempel but how do you run the cubes? I just picked up some today but trying to figure out where to place them.

Aquaforest stonefix'ed my rocks tonight to build a bit of a branched scape. Love this stuff. Once you know how to work with it it's really a breeze, the biggest problem is the temptation to move the structure too soon. This stood for an hour. I accelerated drying by using a hairdryer making the stone fix more plyable and being able to use it to build up in areas, I then add more water to retard cure. Good or bad well see, but you can pretty much hold the last floating piece added and the structure. Its stuck for life!

Some pics to show how it came out.

20181011_205351.jpg

20181011_205414.jpg

20181011_205426.jpg

Wow awesome scape there. Cant wait to see ghis tank wet

Back
Top Bottom