Leopard wrasse advice

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Keanan, 25 Sep 2012.

1. Keanan

Keanan 2time

So following another thread where @Lord_Blackadder gave some advice on a leopard wrasse, I decided to rather start a new thread then to derail another....

I know they are a difficult to feed but I decided to take a chance as I have tons of little critters crawling all over my tank, so I acquired her last week Sunday but my problem is, I have never seen her once again since I added her to the tank.

Do I have a problem here or should I just give her some time to get used to the tank? Im on my way to go do a water change now and hoping that I will still see that she is alive somewhere in the tank.

My leopard, female I think?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. craig redfern

craig redfern

hello Keanan i have the same problem i also purched a leopard wrasse and have only seen it once, i have been told they are very timid when they first get introduced into the tank, hopeing to see mine soon they are really stunning fish

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

wrasse can take some time to get into the change of daytime after being shipped.. i had a twinspot that was AWOL for a month untill it finally realised it was sleeping the entire day ... i would limit fiddling untill the wrasse has settled...

but im sure you curious to know if its ok...

5. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

It's quite normal for wrasses to hide when first introduced. My leopard hid for a week when I first added it. I've had a Halichoeres that hid for 2 weeks.

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Had my canary wrasse disappeared for 10 days, thought my RBTA got it.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2012
  7. Keanan

Keanan Thread Starter 2time

Darn I see my pic did not show...

Ok I'm just done with the water change and a nice clean of the tank, and could not see her anywhere, hope she is still alive, will give it some time as you guys suggest.
    Yeah @leslie hempel, I'm very curious to know if she is still alive.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2012
  8. Keanan

Here is the pic of her, I'm I correct in saying it is a she?

[​IMG]

9. tJokkie

tJokkie

Hi Guys
    I would also like to add to this , i have found everyone to say that these animals are picky eaters.
    I have tested a method that has worked VERY well for me and got my wrasse eating Brine shrimp , Krill and Mysis Mix within one day:)(Yesterday)
    So my tank does not have that much critters , i noticed my Wrasse pecking a few Pods from my glass so decided to try the below -->

1.So i noticed he only eats from the rocks (When not chased by my dottyback) and from the glass sides
    2.I took a piece of very fine netting(Like the breeder tank netting) and i put the Food on this netting.
    3. I then placed it in the tank where there is not to much flow and at a bit of a curved angle (On some LR and on the side glass)
    4.Wrasse had a feast no issues :)
    5.So it seems mine does not want to eat the floating foods but as soon as they become stationary on say the netting he chows away

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Excellent technique @tJokkie, well done, you'll see the dude is going to be great!:peroni:

11. Keanan

Well done on getting him to eat so quickly, will try that with mine I'f she can just come out from wherever she is. Thanks @tJokkie

12. tJokkie

tJokkie

@Keanan

From the Google images i think yours might be turning into a male?
    If you check on the other thread i think the female has the red belly (I could be wrong on this)

Be patient mine also took about 6 days to come out , i caught him one morning at 3AM swimming about so i think its just some jet lag ;)

13. Keanan

@tJokkie I'f I'm not mistaken then it's one of the more common leopard wrasses(from wetwebmedia) and is a female, can't remember the scientific name. The one you have is the blue star leopard wrasse.
    Maybe @Lord_Blackadder can help out here?

14. crispin

crispin

thats a beautiful fish, congrats on the purchase. As everyone has said they are often shy and timid and i found mine came out just after lights out and would feed when there was low light in the room and no tank lights on. I thus fed a small amount of frozen Mysis just after lights out, althoygh i think that fish was primarily eating live pods, but i liked to supplimetary feed the fish too. After about two months the fish was well settled nad I saw it regularly in the day.

just a note as I cant see your whole sand bed from that pic, but they like a decent depth of sand to bury themselves into so if thats the level of sand throughout the tank add some more, but if its deeper in areas (the sand) i'm sure the fish will be fine:)

15. Keanan

@crispin thanks bud she sure is, iv tried looking for here but that was soon after lights out with no luck, but will feed a bit when the lights are out and see I'f she comes out.
    Pretty much the whole of the sand bed is like that with one or two deeper areas, I have some more substrate I have been meaning to add but just haven't gotten around to do that yet. Will make a plan and add the rest.

16. Quintin

Quintin

I have had mine now for about a year and half and it eats flakes, frozen and keeps my rocks clean.
    No one told my leopard wrasse that is was only suppose to eat live food.:thumbup:

Sorry bad pics, as this guy is fast and it was feeding time....
    [​IMG]

17. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

@Keanan

Yours is a female M. meleagris.

18. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Looks like a M. negrosensis.

Keanan likes this.
  19. Yuri

Yuri

My leopard is a Macropharyngodon cyanoguttatus i got it from Mauritius
    I have it about a year now it likes pellets the most

From what i have seen Macropharyngodon cyanoguttatus and Macropharyngodon bipartitus seem to be more hardy

My quarantining method was 10 days formalin ( myxazin ) 8 days bucket methode and 14 day praziquntel ( prazipro )

20. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Hmm, not sure it's necessarily a case of being more hardy but the whole genus being bad shippers. M. bipartitus and M. cyanoguttatus are Indian Ocean species, so there is a much shorter shipping time and thus healthier specimens.

21. Keanan

Thanks for the info guys.
    It seems that all I needed was to give her some time, was told that she was swimming around the tank this morning while lights were off.:thumbup:

Last edited: 26 Sep 2012
Recent Posts