Legality question

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Vilas, 28 May 2014.

1. Vilas

Vilas

Hi!
    I hope I don't trigger a war here.
    I have a perimt for collecting, however, I don't dive (yet!) I know you cannot -sell- any fish you catch, but if someone else with a permit catches something lovely that would suit my tank, is it within their legal right to give it to me?

I know that my angling permit allows me to give a fish to someone, but I may not barter, donate, or sell it.

Thanks for any insight!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Permit says you cannot donate, trade or sell caught fish. So a friend can't catch an aquarium fish and give it to you.
    This also goes for angling. Give and donate are the same thing.

Vilas likes this.
  4. Vilas

Vilas Thread Starter

So technically my baby son can't eat the fish because he has no permit? And I can't share with the maid? I thought it was donate in terms of charitable donation, with associated tax benefits. (This is why I came here to ask!)

5. Ricky W

Ricky W

Just dont tell anyone that he gave it to u

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

the term donate or give away means to use for any other purpose than yourself, so catching a fish to eat is fine as long as its eaten in your house as per rules and logic.

so if you didnt catch it, you cant have it for your aquarium. this is to control the commercialization etc

7. dallasg

as per the permit, you have to have a log book of all catches etc, yes most dont do it, but should they land up at your house and ask, another story

8. Vilas

Vilas Thread Starter

I did know about the log requirement for aquaria - which is easy, as I keep a log anyways, always have. Helps me work out what I added that caused a problem.

Just want to know the law on this - so my maid can eat my fish at my house, but she can't take home the leftovers? (Yes, it is nitpicky, but the best way to understand these things is to take them to their logical conclusion!)

Also, guess I'm going to have to learn to dive. Eish, this hobby is expensive!

9. dallasg

i dont know the angling laws

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Its a tough one. One officer will interperet the law differently to another. Its the luck of the draw imo. But its always best to take the law in a lieral sence and not try to twist its limitations ;)

11. Vilas

Vilas Thread Starter

Hence, coming here to ask! No interest in spending time with bubba over a well intentioned gesture.

12. Gary Bourn

Gary Bourn

I take it a LFS needs a license to sell their stock, once a consumer buy's a fish the license gets lost in the system, as we do not get a certificate with the fish we bought and the LFS does not ask for our details. Who knows where that fish came from shop or caught!!!

am I correct by saying this.

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

If your lfs is selling local fish. You should be asking a few questions

14. Vilas

Vilas Thread Starter

The LFS I go to has told me it is illegal for them to sell local stock. No big surprise, that's as it should be.

15. dallasg

incorrect, the livestock that are imported come in on a permit, this is control for international transport laws and to prohibit illegal animals coming in. once in on the permit they are allowed to be freely tradable, the limitation for local caught is to preserve our coastline.

whether its local or imported, the onus is the assumption of trust, alot of species are imported that are available in our waters and some are totally endemic to SA, yes they cannot police everything, but on the off chance they catch you, i am sure they will make an example.

Recent Posts