Legalities with importation and selling of coral and fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bluemotion, 9 Aug 2011.

1. Bluemotion

Bluemotion

Hi does anyone know what are all of the legalities that one needs to look at when you want to import and sell corals and fish? One day when I have the money I would like to open up a lfs. Thanks guys and gals.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I stand to be corrected but the importers handle all the CITES permits and import red tape. You pay the VAT, and handlers fee (to the importer)and freight

4. Bluemotion

Bluemotion Thread Starter

I want to bypass the importers and deal directly with the suppliers, I think it would be quite the mission to get things sorted out.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

Well there is a small shop I know of. The guy just went to indonesia, bought stuff and brought it back. YOu will have to actually go there to make contacts. I dont think its really that bad to import stuff but you will need a lot of capital to outlay

6. Bluemotion

Well it is one of my goals to be able to supply corals for cheap. Now I neet to finish my studies and to produce the needed capital

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

yip.. Its cool for the big shops because they have the money, contacts, demand and wholesale to other shops. So you would need that also

8. KeeganP

KeeganP

First you'd need to get your CITES permit, Then take it from there, getting that alone will determine if you can go ahead with your plan or not... Good luck with that :thumbup:
    Also your supplier would also need a CITES permit when exporting as both these documents will have to be present when shipped.

9. Bluemotion

Thanks for all the info

10. xtreme

xtreme

If I may give you my 2c on this.

You want to do what???:p

Not as easy as it looks, you will not be rich, you must be able to take a deep plunge, restless nights, your prices will not be cheaper than the sponsors on here, if you do make it cheaper you will not last, you will need money to be able to survive. With all fish and corals comes equipment and foods, basicly you can start to save R 500K to try and start.

Not trying to scare you but you can ask the sponsors, they will know.

If you really want to start, get a small place and a second job at nights and rather try to get whole sale from one of the sponsors and see how it goes, after that you can try if you can make it.

Good luck!!!!:thumbup:

11. Bluemotion

If there is a will there is a way, as I said earlier I first have to finish my studies and when I get there, there wil be other expences but I will start making plans now. Thank you for the advice.

12. Reefhead

Reefhead

I think this is a very noble thought and I truly don't mean to put you off at all but I know the owner of LFS really well and he has shown me what his fish and corals cost to land at his doorstep and then I look at what he sells it for, if you take into account all the fees involved in shipping, the food and products needed to keep the LS alive, the equipment, electricity, etc. Marine corals and fish are already cheap (excl. a few LFS that charge crazy prices, the thing is these guys seldom make it as people can soon see when they being ripped off and dont support that LFS anymore) so personally I dont think that majority of LFS are a rip off or expensive

13. Bluemotion

Its not about getting rich its about trying to get a way to make corals available to the public for a cheaper price, there are many people out there that would love to start a marine tank but they are just too expensive. To prove my point I have a nano tank, with hardy corals that are multiplying rapidley, the tank is 3 months old, I do not have a skimmer, my filtration is live rock and an algae scrubber, I added zoanthids, yellow polyps, green star polyps, two adult clown fish, a pepperment shrimp, a hermit, a turbo snail, a tube worm all in the space of 2 weeks. I feed heavly at least 4 times a day. I only change about 5 to 10% of the water per week to replenish trace elements. My whole system cost me about R3000 tank and all. Everything is doing well. No algae at all in the tank and coraline algae is popping up everywhere. The only issue I have is a bit of excess heat, which is easily controaled by a small pc fan. When I walked into my lfs explaining that I wanted to start a nano they advised me I should not get a tank smaller than 55 gallon and all the equipment they spoke about went into the thousands. I have done what they said I could not do. My goal is to provide people with the correct information and the tools to produce a wonderful reef, not to get rich quick.

14. Tony

Tony

Even if you go through the importers and aren't too greedy you can sell things a lot cheaper than most pet shops. I have imported stuff through a friend of mine and the mark ups are shocking

15. Reefhead

Reefhead

Mark ups may seem high for the cost of the fish at what it lands from the supplier but keep in mind things like:
    Food
    Rent
    Electricity
    Losses
    Equipment, etc. etc. etc. the list carries on for a while ;)

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

having live stock as inventory is super crap! I dont know how the shops do it. Too much of a head ache! I thought perishables were bad lol.. Rent and electricity are very expensive. Looking at like 20k for rent and another 15-20k for lights and water. Now that 40k isnt gonna come out of thin air, it has to be incl in the purchase price. The mark up may be 200% but out of that maybe 20% is actual profit. Tough business. You rather set up something in your garage and have a small time thing :)

17. Bluemotion

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. Bluemotion

There will always be a cheaper way, sticking to the norm will take one no where.

19. Bluemotion

One does not need to rent a shop, you can build a 2000l tank in your garage and if your prices are right people will come from all over to buy the livestock that is cheaper. Systems do not have to be electricity eaters. You can make one that is cost effective, I have even seen people make use of natural sunlight with special sky lights apparently as strong as a 250w metal haylide and nothing beats natural sunlight. If people did not experiment in the past we would not be where we are today, one needs to try different options and they may be better or worse, but thats how you learn

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

What is the norm?

21. Tremayn

Tremayn

prob is that to build a skylight is not cheap.. I think it would be best to start something small in your garage or something :) .. I know a shop where the guy keeps half of the livestock at his house

Recent Posts