1. Bonzai

Bonzai

Hi there

I just want to know. Is it legal to catch hermit crabs on the SA coast, and snails and keep them in a marine tank?

Also, is it legal to get Live Rock and anemones from the coast yourself, and keep it in a tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

think you need a permit for the crabs and snails. dont think you can take rock

4. Submariner

Submariner

rock is a big no no

5. 459b

459b Moderator

hermits, snails and anemone are legal..provided you have the permit (available from the post office).

6. animalia

animalia

Just make sure you have RIGHT permit taken out - Remember to keep your receipt with the permit.

7. Junz

Junz

If any one is struggling to get permit forms, let me know and i can get some and send to you

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The forms for me are relatively easy to get hold of. But i would appreciate it if you could get hold of a copy of the legislation pertaining to the forms. I have done a brief enquiry with little success. Please PM me the details if you have any info.

9. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Hi Bonzai
    It is legal if you have the permit from the Post Office, collecting Live Rock is also legal but a bit of a grey area, you are allowed to collect algae and that is usually attached to rock. Actually sand and possibly rock would fall under mining legislation.
    The Law and fish Collection in SA - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

If you do collect LR I would suggest that it be done with consideration for the environment and also the sensitivity of others that may see you, in other words select small amounts at a time and checking that there is no illegal marine life on the rock.

10. frankie fish

frankie fish

Ok,quick question,in rockpools,you will sometimes find rock that,its not hard rock,but coarse sand "glued" together,to make up a hard,sandy rock. inide is a lot of holes/tunnels with organisms inside like brittle stars,worms ect,and they are sometimes covered with marine plant or algae. do they fall under live rock,or may i collect it,not huge amounts,only 5-10 medium sized pieces to add to bio-diversity to my tank.

11. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

local hermits and snails tend to be tidal....by this i mean they tend to crawl out the tank, go in overflows etc etc............rather spend the bucks and buy 10 imported turbos and some blue or red legged hermits;)

12. poiromaniax

poiromaniax

What i have found is that snails can't get around euro bracing, think Riaanp also noticed this.

So if you have eurobracing, no need to worry about snails wandering around on your lounge floor :p

13. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

:bump:

good question:thumbup:... Anyone got answers???

14. frankie fish

frankie fish

Can nobody give a answer,anybody,where's the administrators and experts?

15. 459b

459b Moderator

A pic of the "rock" in querstion would help. It sounds like he may be talking about sandstone or the tubes made by worms.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes, they tend to end up upside down on the euro bracing, just above the water.

White Nerita snails, you will find them about 2 to 4 meter above water level on the rocks, they climb out. You will be amazed how far they can get away from the tank. But over time, 2 to 3 months later they tend to stop doing that. All the inter tidal snails and hermits end up being content to stay inside the water, eventually.

Only problem is, you must know what snails you are getting. There are predators and herbivores. If you are not sure, rather leave them alone.

Recent Posts