Legal Electrical Connections???

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by RiaanP, 5 Dec 2011.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I do not want to stir, or cause a fight. But when is the connections or plug points, power bars or whatever method we employ to power our reefs. When is it legal?

If you need a tool to disconnect it, then its deemed fixed and must have its own isolator switch. So that makes a distribution box most likely illegal. As you simply cannot plug out a pumps for example. But I must admit, it does look very neat. And another point I know is that DB switches are not meant to be switch on and off daily. They are not manufactured for that purpose.

Anyway. Having a lead from the household plug point. With one or more multi plugs running from each other. Is that legal? As the plug point do have its own switch?

A heater plug point, or any other 2 point plug for that matter that goes into a multi plug. Is that legal? As most if not all multi plugs never have individual switches for the 2 prong connection points.

Can the Electricians amongst us enlighten us.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blueberry

Blueberry

im looking for a House hold electrician in JHB east rand while we on the subject. please PM me

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

There is no limit to how many plugs etc u can have, but rather a limit on the amps u can draw. Plugs, sockets, multiplugs all have ratings at what they can safely supply, anymore and they melt or trip

I use my db board but i have it going to plugs, so each piece can be unplugged
    But i am always willing to learn

7. dallasg

True, i know the round schuko plugs on most equip are illegal as their earth doesnt get used on our plugs, if its the plugs that have earths

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

And in the event of an insurance claim, how legit is the claim if sabs equipment and unapproved wiring and overloading was employd?
    Very valid question....
    On an earlier setup of mine, I ran extension cord to tank, as closest power was 8m away. It was scary how hot the lead got, so had to wire new plugs from db board eventually.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Yip, and that is also why you struggle to find them.

I bought a schuko multiplug on a previous European trip. 6 plug points, with 3 switches. And it is earthed. Pity, the equipment I plug into it is not earthed.

Must have used a cord that is too thin.

10. Electrician24

Electrician24

As far as I know none of the appliances in our hobby is SABS so ja this is a wide open debate.

The reason why 2 prong plugs in SA is not earthed, is that the appliance itself is insulated and therefore cannot conduct current and do not need an earth wire.
    In this hobby this is a different ballgame as it's mostly submerged under water.

Would be wise to have the tank earthed.
    In my opinion I would never earth a tank thru the earth leakage, but directly to earth.
    Example: Wave maker goes faulty while you not at home, trips E/L now the howl tank stops. (Not wise)

So connect directly to earth.
    According regulation, refrigeration, heating (hwc, stoves, fridges ect.) equipment does not need to be on earth leakage but must be earthed.

Still need to see one element or any of the appliances in our tanks to comply with SABS.

11. Yuri

Yuri

On a clase 2 aplience ( reinforced or bubble insulated or both ) no earth is needed

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Last edited: 6 Dec 2011
  13. RiaanP

And the plug points, or DB boxes or multi plugs... what is the rules there?

And class 2, how do I know its a class 2 product. Being fitted with a 2 prong plug, is that the indication? Must 2 prong plugs also be on a switch-able circuit? Or is it OK if the point where the multiplug pull its power, if that is switch-able, is it then all right to use 2 prong plugs on points that themselves do not have switches?

A DB box setup, that plug into a wall socket, is that legal? As the wall socket is protected by the house DB?

14. mupwi

mupwi

I know running an extension cord to run your tank is illegal as extentions are only alowed for temporary use if the installation is permanent then you need to have a new plug point fitted multiplugs are fine but dont have multiplug into multiplug into multiplug and keep in mind the current rating most multiplugs are rated for less than 15A

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

OK Did a little phoning around and enquiries this morning and spoke to a very helpful lady at NRCS. Apparently one does not have to have an SABS certificate. A IEC certificate will suffice as the same standard is used.

I am sure this news is a relief to us smaller importers. The cost to get a product tested and a certificate issued is very expensive. However, the importer must have a copy of the original IEC certificate.

16. dallasg

yip and they just changed the spec needed, we had to recertify for CPA etc

17. RiaanP

ok, having a tank DB connected directly to the house DB is most likely illegal. Issues with rating of box, as in how good is it waterproof. Bit extreme but can your DB handle being dropped into the tank?
    An intro to IP ratings | Machine Design

Having DB fasten onto a wall, also makes it a permanent fixture. So both live and neutral should be on trip. Plus other issues with having a DB running from another.

Do you use glands? Did not know what that is until this morning either. It is the piece that holds the wire in place in DB box so that you cannot pull the wires out of the connections. Normally that white sockets that you push the wire through. For a DB, you must use it.

But here is what is interesting. A wall plug with a short cable running multi plugs are OK. As long as the total amperage pulled does not exceed 15. Mounting the DB against the stand, with a 3 point plug going into normal wall socket. That seems to be OK. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The real legal issue is about the "permanent" fixture of the box. And what happens insurance wise if something from the tank burns down the house.

Recent Posts