LED's

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by jack, 30 Apr 2014.

1. jack

jack

Hi guys after putting in the LED's my mushrooms dont seem to open quit as big as they use to...

I have 18 x 3watt leds in the 550 with half half on the aqua blue and 15000k white.

Does anyone know what this might be and if this is perhaps to little light or maby to much.

I also have 2 x 3watt UV's in the hood but dont put them on as i was told this would slow growth so, i know its not the UV's.

Zoas look very good with the new light though, reg doesnt seem to stand out as much but the green does, anyone know why this is?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jack

jack Thread Starter

pic.

I am getting a new phone soon will be sure to take better pictures once i feel satisfied with the way my tank looks :)

IMG-20140423-00701.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Apr 2014
  4. sharktail

sharktail

tagging

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Nice zoas @Jake... Not sure why your mushrooms are not opening but how low are your nutrients?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. NO3

NO3

From what I have read and played around with, Red light helps to enhance green, Green Light helps to enhance Red so what you have done is use a full blue spectrum with your royal blue 20000k and 15000k aqua blue and completely cut out the red green and yellow spectrum! THAT BEING SAID there is a fine line as too much red green and yellow will make your tank look like an algae dump, hence why fuges and algae scrubbers use 6500k lights!

UV(black light spectrum not true uv) will not be a problem, it just promotes colour and i dont think it effects coral growth in any way, else your big brands like ecotech and pacific sun would not include them in their spectrum!

When you say mushrooms you mean richordeas? If so try move them to the outside of your LED they do not like high intensity light , i have found mine to grow better under t5 funny enough!

good luck and turn your UV on !!

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

They are most likely smaller due to the higher amount of light. They will open bigger when they want more light and smaller when there is too much light. Once they adjusted to the higher light they will open up a little bit more.

8. jack

jack Thread Starter

Guys

Thanks very much you never seem to dissepoint when we need help, this makes me feel much better as i spent a lot of money thinking I would invest in my tank and its lighting.

I will make work of getting a green led to add to my settup to try and bring out the red and orrange coral more...

Mista orange!!
    they are within the normal paramaters, i do water changes quit often also so I dont think they will change for the worst, still cant test my salinity so i just use whatever i buy ready mixed from LPS...

I need a profesional to come and have a look at my stuffs!

Anyone keen? david never wants to..:rockon:

Recent Posts