led's

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by radar, 28 Dec 2009.

1. radar

radar

Hey all.I see the industry is starting to lean towards led illumination as replacements for vho's and halides. Im a halide junkie and not easily swayed but who knows.The initial costs are high for the professional led setups, however they soon make up their value with the long life span and low running costs of these units.Ive seen the ripple effect of these led's and they create a super natural shallow type reef look.Read some of the specs below, check out some of the links, and let me know what you thinkkillkanga
    http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk/images/products/large/AquabeamUltraHDReef.jpg
    http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/AquaBeam-1000-HD-420x354.jpg
    Neil shared some credible insights on the AquaBeam 1000 launch including the flyer above that touts 1200 lumens of output, “equivalent to a 150w metal halide”. As we learned from the early LED models that attempted to market similarly, such a comparison holds little weight without any supporting details… but it’s worth highlighting.

The waterproof design measures in at 20×20cm or just under a 8″ square, sporting ten high power CREE LEDs at just under 3w each–pushing out a rumored 40-60 lumens per watt.

Each AquaBeam 1000HD Tile will retail for £250 or £350 with TMC’s upcoming controller / dimmer. Take a peak at the sprouting discussion on UR with insight from those that have seen a few prototypes floating around the UK

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Falcon

Falcon

Interesting to say the least...but a bit premature imho bro..have a look here in the lighting section marcel was trying to do a proper subjective test of different led's and trying to gauge how well they actually work for corals from a par output perspective.

40-60lm per watt is rather low as i'm sure you'll agree and well is there any value in the arguement that 1200lumens of led light is equivalent to +-15000lumens of a 150w mh? in my opinion no but hey maybe i can be proven wrong:)

check here:http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=12543

and yes as can be seen nobody can doubt the ripple effect,looks cool to us.unfortunately doesn't do much for the corals.

4. schaun

schaun

I Would love to go LED.
    Going to do Green on my house soon and replace all the downlights with LEDs.

5. lIghty

lIghty

i agree with Falcon, 50~60 lm per watt is low. an I doubt a 150w Mh only pushes 1500lm, as a 14w enery saver pushes about 850lm....
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Falcon

Falcon

yep mh 150w pushes over 15 000 lumens lighty...evn when converted to true par i dont see how 1200lumens would produce more par than 15 000 lumens

Recent Posts