LEDs from Lamphouse qeustions

Reaction score
Greetings

Im not one to post much, just a reader.

I have a 50cm strip 10 000 K LED & a 50cm strip 6500 K LED from lamp house
Apparently the same as is being used in a coral tank at two oceans.(I have not seen the tank yet, it said to be 60cm deep)

My qeustions

Does any one have any experience with these LED 's ?
Are they worth the R700 they cost?
What corals, if any, would these lights apease?
How far should they be from the water surface?

I wish to use them in a future Nano project if if they are worth it.

Namaste

Hey @kelp?

Have no experience with it, but how many LEDs are there on the strip? What is the wattage rating per led?

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings

Apparently the same as is being used in a coral tank at two oceans.(I have not seen the tank yet, it said to be 60cm deep)

My qeustions

Namaste

Get it from these guys.
Much cheaper....
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=aquarium+led+strip+light&catId=0&manual=y

Greetings

My qeustions

Namaste

I spent three grand on those striplichts. Good for softies but not cool for sps. Check mandarinman's tl 550 thread for whole saga

I have tried LED strips .. they are a waste of time for corals, if you just want to add a little colour to your tank then they are fine as a supplement to your T5’s or MH.

If you want to get leds for your corals stick to the bridgelux / Cree builds everyone is using.

As for the R700 , well that’s way over priced unless there is something special about these strip lights as most of the ones I have seen are about R150 / meter.

Look at the wattage for the strip this will be a good indication of how underpowered the strip lights are. From what I recall the strips are only a couple watts per meter.

Regards

Dray

I had three metres in my tank and it is really fine for softies but it just lacks the oomf for spses

@ChrisRaubs there are 30 LEDs per 50cm and I believe they are 3w each
Think they were R54 ex vat per 10cm
they are not the same as the LED strips you get at hardware stores.
you order them and can ask for them in custom to fit your setup
@mandarinman I thought you Kept sps? how long have you had them?
I need to go check out the tank at the aquaruim ,guys at the lamp house says its been running for months, has any one seen it? or am i victim cunning salesmenship?
the pics are under the leds disscused in tis thread, never kept corals underthem long enough to see the results.
I dont experiment with some one elses life ,that isnt fair.

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/member.php?u=6647

30 LEDs per 50cm I believe 3w per LED
not the normal strip leds you get for the hardware stores. think they were R54 ex per 10cm, was told they are german designed.
has any one see the coral tank at the aquaruim these LEDs are bieng used on. or have i been victim to sly salesmanship

Guys they are not 3 watts per led. I have two strips sitting over my refugium. They ask the guys at lamphouse what an sps is! These guys are nice guys but that doesnt make the leds alright for all corals. I had 7000 k 14000 k and 20 000 k. They do not work for sps. I am telling you it will cost you less to buy a decent unit from submariner . If you want to waste your money go ahead. I paid the schoolfees already but if you want to walk the same path go right ahead. If you are only planning softies they will suffice but if you go clam or sps you will have problems. No matter how many times you flip this coin you are going to get the same answer.

Well clam down manderin dude

knowlegde comes with qeustions.

I ,maby unfortunatly, just like you spent much money on these LEDs
lucky not as much as you.
Ive got them so id like some reports on what others whom got them thinks.

thanks for your input.
I do agree they are fine for softies

Should have asked the question before you shelled out the cash :whistling:

I have had made that mistake more than once now and will always ask here no matter how stupid the purchase before shelling out 1c.

I tend to take people at face value which I did when purchaseing the lamps. Sorry for the rant but I defended these things ad nauseum only for it to cost me more than if I had just saved up for a decent unit. I fell for the oldest trick in the book
The guys at two oceans would not be using rhem if anything was wrong with them. Throw a few names around to give ceredibility

I tend to take people at face value which I did when purchaseing the lamps. Sorry for the rant but I defended these things ad nauseum only for it to cost me more than if I had just saved up for a decent unit. I fell for the oldest trick in the book
The guys at two oceans would not be using rhem if anything was wrong with them. Throw a few names around to give ceredibility

Hey @kelp ,,,

Ok, so now that you've got them, i suppose the best you can do is make the best out of the situation...

I would say the best thing you can do for now is to play around with your corals untill such time they seem happy (i.e get sufficient light etc.)

And if your only starting out, maybe only go for softies now...

You can always check out people thats in your surroundings, and ask if someones got the new Seneye... That way you can measure your PAR and LUX readings ans move any corals that you might have accordingly...

REMEMBER, MASA is a great community, and you can ALWAYS pop in and ask questions about an investment you'd like to make (seeing that EVERYTHING in this trade is damm well expensive)... You will always get honest and unbiased advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't waste your money, I had a meeting with them, those leds are good to put under your car and pretend your in the movie TO FAST TO FURIOUS, sorry for being blunt !

Their main sales pitch is that its used at the aquarium, but the aquarium do not have real reef aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom