LED's flashing like a cheap disco...

the silver aluminium JS is mounting the LED's on
59154fc5bc38b287a.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah...thats it....it is all to do with heat dissipation - the leds get very hot - I have even manged to melt one off the star base.....

So, what I did was bought 10mm alluminium sheet - and had a whole bunch of grooves machined into the back....by doing this you basically double the surface area.....more surface area....the faster the air moving over the surface can remove the heat......

You get online calculators that can work out the most effective heatsink configuration for you....

Thank you Js. Need to start reading up more, as i also want to go the LED route. Too long to wait for plasma's price to drop

Hi Juan
Looks great.
Who is your supplier?
What size tank is that unit for?
I like the blue look to a tank as it brings the colours out of the corals. Is that light not very white?

Also keen to know where you sourced the heatsink from..

Hi.
@Seabass - no I have a 50/50 split of blue and white LED's - the royal blue LED's are awesome - they are 455nm - so the corals flourense under them! I do think I will add a couple more blue ones (I also prefer the blue look) Oh, and this unit will go in my TL 550 - tank in my guinea pig - will build a bigger one for my future 2m project! :thumbup:
@zak - I had the 10mm aluminium sheet lazer cut, and then machined fins onto the back - so made my own, as sourcing from abroad is just too expensive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.
@Seabass - no I have a 50/50 split of blue and white LED's - the royal blue LED's are awesome - they are 455nm - so the corals flourense under them! I do think I will add a couple more blue ones (I also prefer the blue look) Oh, and this unit will go in my TL 550 - tank in my guinea pig - will build a bigger one for my future 2m project! :thumbup:
@zak - I had the 10mm aluminium sheet lazer cut, and then machined fins onto the back - so made my own, as sourcing from abroad is just too expensive!

Last edited by a moderator:
JS where did you buy these from? Also keen on doing the same to my TL 550. Would be nice to see in action in the tank

Back
Top Bottom