LED's and SPS growth

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Midnight Reefer, 20 Oct 2013.

1. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

Hi all

I have heard tales of LED's making corals look amazing but after several months no growth occurring.

Then again the running cost benefits and PAR seem tempting factors, do they do a better job than halides?

250W halide at say 85cms depth. Can LED's, any wattage and combo replace them with improved results with respect to coral growth and health?

Hit me..............

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

my personal opinion...led units are so powerful in wattage these days that i dont see it as a saving compared to mh in running costs...but either way,i still like my T5 :)

4. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

for all round benefits i see guys combining led and t5... @butcherman recently did that so check it out.... what size is your tank and will it only be sps?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer Thread Starter

Umm 7000L mixed reef, bothered by heat and power consumption of 6 250W halides

6. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

huh?? 7000? wow ok..... impressive...and no thread on this monster?......yes mh would emit alot o heat...lets see what the experts say :)

7. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

@seank also has a supersize tank...maybe he can tell you what he has on his and what he thinks...

8. Midnight Reefer

its complicated :)

9. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

a camera? ... no its not,my kids even know how to use one :tt2: ... ok im gonna go watch TED on tv now so start learning your camera :thumbup:

10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

LED's are only cost effective up to 2m tank no deeper than 60cm once past these parameters they become very expensive.

As far as what led's do.

I had my led's for over a year, and only once I upgraded did I have to add additional lighting,
    I choose t5 as the initial capital outlay was minimal.

LED's do make the corals look stunning and bring out amazing colors. I never experienced any slowing down of growth with led's

Since adding t5's I have experienced algae outbreaks and cyno. but I do not think the lights are soully to blame.

If I had a huge tank to light I would defiantly choose Halides and consider LED's as additional lighting to get the colors just right.

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I believe LEDs still have a consumption benefit. I will also say this for the 100th time, just because a LED unit is capable of pushing out say 400W or 500W, does not mean you need to run it at max power. After running my 425W LED unit for over a year, I am still not running it at full power. At current settings its only using 290W and I get more light out of it compared to my previous 2X250W (20K) halides and 2X54W actinic T5 combo.

I get more growth now than what I did before so I don't see the need to run my light any higher than what it is at present. And even with the fast advances in LED lighting and all the new units flooding the market, my motto is that if a LED light is currently enough to sustain the corals in my tank then there is no need to change to a newer version. People who run decent quality LED setups change to newer fixtures purely because they want to and not because they need to.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2013
    Midnight Reefer likes this.
  12. Express Reef

Express Reef

I totally agree with @mariusmeyer, I got a 400w led unit running at max 50% only during 11 and 1... one can also simulate sunrise and sun set my unit can dim down to 0% so it nice and the unit never runs at full power, my 400w led unit punch more light than two 400w halides...

13. Midnight Reefer

That is what I wanna hear @mariusmeyer

Tell me more......please, what LED's could make up 435W? combo of; 3W'ers?5W'ers?morethan 5W'ers?
    and what depth vs spread?

I am still wanting to know where the "LED's are useless at coral growth" opinions are......

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Just trying to get my understanding correct in what you mean and why you recommend. Is it a tank depth thing? Better Coverage/Spread? or what?

15. Express Reef

Express Reef

If you want to go the DIY rout look at
    Philips Luxeon M 5,000K 12 Watt LEDs
    Luxeon M series 12 watt LED!
    The brightest 5,000K full spectrum neutral white LED on the market - Even superior to Cree XM-L LED (XM-L are only a 10 watt LED).

16. butcherman

width and depth play roles the deeper and wider your tank is the more units with narrower lenses you will need. adding to the cost of it all lets take a tank 1.5m x 1m x 0.8

The 1 m witdh means more led units, the 0.8 height means narrower optic (which means more units)

at a certain point hadlies become a better option, even jake adams admitted it at the expo.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

would help to post dimensions of the tank. I know its the reef display at Two Oceans Aquarium, but not been there an ages.

What is the depth. Also the general depth the corals are placed. Maybe a picture would help as well.

Anyway, multi colour Leds will give you the coral growth you want. Plus it will remove your heat issues. My tank is running today at under 25 degree with LEDS where previously I needed fans to run across the sump to keep it cooled to below 27. So yes, it does help a lot with heat transfer.

18. Midnight Reefer

Bearing in mind I have 40cm+ diameter chalice corals to support, the tank could be considered almost 90cm high with respect to water level. it's just above my waist when I get in to clean etc.

With 250W halides above me and pseudo snorkling, one accidental and unlucky snorkel clearing blow, could result in an array of chemicals from the globe and glass pieces in the tank.......

I would love to have confidence in LED's

19. butcherman

if you can afford the led's then go for it. they can support the growth color of your tank. it's merely the costs that might deter you

20. Midnight Reefer

LED's at my workplace are regarded as lights for show and cannot be used with corals

I think I am understanding the problem here.....

The depth and coverage needed would not be feasible at this point in time in LED's. Halides, although expensive, provide coverage and visible light needed at depth.

I think the ideal option would be going 250W to 400W halides

21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

No there are LED's that can and do penetrate to depths with coverage.

Dam, I just typed a whole response explaining the visit Jake Adams and I had to uShaka. the MASA gremlin devoured it. Will try and recover or redo later.

Recent Posts