LED's and PH Pen

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JS, 23 Oct 2012.

1. JS

JS

Hi

So I thought I would share my findings with everyone...maybe you all know this, but maybe some newbie can learn and not make a potential mistake...

Ok, so I have a Boyu TL 550, and my new 1.5m is cycling...but will get to that later...

At first I had the stock standard PL tubes in the Tl550 hood, and later upgraded to a custom 36LED unit.

I measure my PH with a Hanna PH Pen, and I always do this at about lights out, and just before lights go on in the morning...like I am sure you all do....

However, I have measured a few time during the light cycle just to make sure....and under the PL tubes....fine...reading were stable...

My recent discovery was that....wile the LED's are on....I get really weird reading....very low....and PH pen dislay fluctuates....if I switch the LED's off....the reading is normal and stabilizes.....:whistling:

I thought my PH Pen battery at first was acting up....but replaced, recalibraed....same thing....even borrowed 2 more pens from friends....same thing....

I also have another Boyu that I use as a frag tank....PL tubes....and perfect in that tank....

So it seems that the LED's affect the PH Pen in some way....and then if so....does it only affect the Pen, and not my water? :(

Everything in the tank seems fine and healty....

Then my next question....

In my new system I will have a PH Probe....and was thinking of using LED's over sump area....now I am worried that it will give fasle readings...

Anyone else experiece this?

Last edited: 23 Oct 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintin

Quintin

Nope, using LEDs on all my tanks as well as i the sump.
    Nothing wrong with my PH pen or PH probes.....

4. mupwi

mupwi

it is probably the high frequency of the switch mode power supply causing interference with the meter don't think this should affect the tank but could definitely affect the ph probe. might need to look at some shielding or power smoothing

5. JS

JS Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for feedback guys...as long as it does not affect my corals I am happy...

Recent Posts