LED vs T5 wattage comparison

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by QuickenZA, 28 Jan 2015.

1. QuickenZA

QuickenZA

Hi Guys,

I am sure this has been asked, raised, debated and deliberated before but I am curious. Since we are aware that we need about 1 watt of lighting power for every two litres of water (in a FOWLR tank) based on T5 lighting how would that compare to LED lights?

I am asking this question since the luminosity of LED lights are considerably higher in certain instances. Example: I have a 10 watt LED spot light that produces 1000 lumens which about the same amount of lumens a 54 watt T5 tube produces (correct me if I am wrong). Can I assume that 5 times less wattage is required for the same amount of water a T5 tube would cover?

I am trying to ascertain if putting a couple of these 10 watt spots over my 4 ft FOWLR tank is sufficient (They are 6000k BTW).

Thanks.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Watts per litre is a very old and ineffective way to determine lighting needs. But for fish only you only need enough light to view your fish.

KeeganP likes this.
  4. QuickenZA

QuickenZA Thread Starter

Ok cool, thanks for the advice. I actually thought it would come down to that. I am going to run the LED spots for now and then when I can afford it I will buy a proper LED setup.

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Thats going to look very yellow. Seeing as its only for viewing why not get a dual t5/t8 unit then you can add whatever colour bulbs you like.

Recent Posts