LED streetlight feasible?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Megalodon, 24 Mar 2010.

1. Megalodon

Megalodon

Hey guys, I was browsing this site and noticed that there are 180w LED streetlights available... they are obviously waterproof (good for our tanks) & include a 5 year warranty. Also at 80lumens/ W they are at least equivalent to a 150w halide etc.

The downsides potentially... apparently 6800K colour temp. However, as with most white LED's this they tend to look closer to 10000k/ 12000k.

Price....who knows what they cost(could be the earth)... however, if they are even 3 or so times more than an equivalent halide/ t5 system the long-term replacement costs should balance it out - 5 year warranty + 40000hour lifespan.

http://www.electroniclights.co.za/en/pages_pro_item.asp?ID=783

Here are some pics: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also noticed another light which may have potential for nano systems = apparently use Cree Led's which are known to be good for marine systems.

Downside...only 1 watt Cree Leds (20 watt in total)... & white & warm white colour temp - would actually have to see a pic of the light on & a spectral plot etc to know if it would be useful or not...but maybe it is a way forward for ppl looking to beat the electricity price & low availability of PL nano tubes in SA.

http://www.electroniclights.co.za/en/pages_pro_item.asp?ID=820

some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well these are just some possibilities for us all to look into...they may or may not be feasible currently, however perhaps if they are feasible from a spec perspective, and enough reefers are interested they could all email the company expressing interest and asking for possible group discounts etc - let the company know there is a potential market out there for them to court. :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I think PMB installed these on the main street, the brightness was phenomenal, it was like driving in daylight.

4. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

5. Megalodon

Megalodon Thread Starter

Seriously sad face :-( - one day when the price drops then :-( Ah well at least we can live in hope

6. shiks

shiks

ummmm VIPER if u get me that street no..i know sum guys who know sum guys who would reclaim and salvage those street lights to us for a small fee and for abt 200 bucks extra they will even fit 150w MH back in there ;)

7. Megalodon

Megalodon Thread Starter

:thumbup: Oh yeah! I will 'donate' my old 150w halide fixture for the cause as long as I get a streetlight :lol:

8. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Led lighting doesnt seem as expensive anymore as long as you are not going with optics. I got quoted 30 rand for cool whites and 45 rand for royal blue. All in all it has become cheaper but it is still pretty expensive

9. FransSny

FransSny

LED streetlights have actually been available for quite some time in SA. City of Tshwane was looking (a tender was out) into this I think 2008 already. Probably still on the mayor's desk !

10. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Found this on another site

T5 LED's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Ghaydeen, does it use the same ballast as the normal T5's?

12. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

13. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

One company that supply Led street lamps is in Cape Town. Yes, the colour is not quite right. I did spoke about 1.5 ago to the guy and for now I just can not remember what was the issue. I did refer him to JacquesB if I can remember correctly.

Have to find that old thread...

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

T5 LED lights ,

10W ... that is good, that is on the 1.2m (or what we call 54W t5)
    6000-7000K that is bad, pee water

But with multiple T5 tubes, running some actinics as well will be able to ballance colour back to OK

16. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

just some useless info really, i saw marko was selling a led spot light in the paper on special for like R249. but not sure if its any good.

17. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

18. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

That was the company I worked for.

They did install some lights in a rural area for testing and since I left they did get the tender, just not sure when they installing. I envy you guys once they installed

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Riaan - yes. You did indeed. We have a very short converse via email, but he "disappeared" shortly afterwards.

He was going to come back to me after doing research about marine aquarium lighting..... then he never came back to me.

20. Franske

Franske

Checked today on ebay,you get some nice led strips with power supply for really cheap,looking at getting one of these for my nano,with 4 white and 4 blue and shipping for only R160,anybody know how much heat these guys generate

21. xtreme

xtreme

Electrical supplier here told me the other day about new LED, a 10W, say you cant look into it, it blinds you, say cool how much, well 1200 for one 10W led, ok, you can keep it:p

Recent Posts