LED Spots to Replace MH's

Reaction score
440967277_793.jpg

70w LED Spot Projectors with Epistar Chip!
available in a 10 000K and 14 000K to replace Metal Halide 250 & 400W.

What you guys reckon???
Anyone tried yet, apparently brand spanking new stuff:whistling:

Saw one of these a while back and it is BRIGHT! but if it gives off the correct light or not im not sure

I saw this at builder, but they could not tell me how much k the light is, how do you know its 10 000k?
I have recently returned from China and was at the Lighting City in Guangdong.
They have absolutely every type of LED known..
Even some of the boxes of lighting units had made in Germany!! haa haa:whistling:
I came across these units at a manufacturor!!
As far as I know the ones you get at builders are 5000-6500K or any of the lighting distrubutors here (According to some research an Electrician friend of mine did)

I had to order 20ea of these bad boys to get them made in the 10 000k and 14 000K.
We are using the 10 000K for our Developments to replace the 400W MH's!!

The 14 000K... well... that's for a different application;)
19914faa4222084fe.jpg
10 000K :biggrin:

Think they might be the first in SA.. not sure!:whistling:

Last edited:
I have recently returned from China and was at the Lighting City in Guangdong.
They have absolutely every type of LED known..
Even some of the boxes of lighting units had made in Germany!! haa haa:whistling:
I came across these units at a manufacturor!!
As far as I know the ones you get at builders are 5000-6500K or any of the lighting distrubutors here (According to some research an Electrician friend of mine did)

I had to order 20ea of these bad boys to get them made in the 10 000k and 14 000K.
We are using the 10 000K for our Developments to replace the 400W MH's!!

The 14 000K... well... that's for a different application;)
19914faa4222084fe.jpg
10 000K :biggrin:

19914faa4222084fe.jpg

Think they might be the first in SA.. not sure!:whistling:

if you dont mind what is the actual cost of these,i assume u not selling the ones u have.
the light spread on these very narrow hey

dallasg was going to import these led's and test the par value to see if we could maybe use them on our tanks, maybe he can shed some light on the subject.:)

The idea of these is not to create storm clouds.. dusk dawn... etc but give good awesome cost effective replacement for Metal Halides!!
I am going to test these units over my mixed reef that currently uses 4 x 250W MH's and 4 x blue T'5's
The idea is simple 1000w replaced once a year = 2200 hours
As apposed to 280w replaced every 30 000 to 50 000 hours...
Not rocket science.

19914faa422200804.jpg

I have asked the manufacturor to send me lumin output etc, but as far as I'm concerened a 14 000K MH is going to be the same colour lighting as the new 14 000K LED. Only time and observing Corals will tell!!!

if you dont mind what is the actual cost of these,i assume u not selling the ones u have.
the light spread on these very narrow hey
Hi Maj,
I am awaiting all the Manufacturors correct tech info as I don't want to make assumptions.

From what I saw They took me into a semi lit room and turned on a 10 000K unit
Believe me, the spread is large and I guess proportionate to a reflector of the same size as an MH.
These units work slightly different to the standard type LED's check the last picture I put up.
Again arriving on my container in the next 2 weeks, I will keep this thread updated on my results compared to my 250W MH's..
They might even be to strong, which then I am going to have to import on the next container the 50W versions.:whistling:
... Time will tell

Hi Maj,
I am awaiting all the Manufacturors correct tech info as I don't want to make assumptions.

From what I saw They took me into a semi lit room and turned on a 10 000K unit
Believe me, the spread is large and I guess proportionate to a reflector of the same size as an MH.
These units work slightly different to the standard type LED's check the last picture I put up.
Again arriving on my container in the next 2 weeks, I will keep this thread updated on my results compared to my 250W MH's..
They might even be to strong, which then I am going to have to import on the next container the 50W versions.:whistling:
... Time will tell
we will be eagerly be awaiting your findings...goodluck!
well that is great if the spread is wide,looking to add these to my fowlr setup,assuming/hoping its well priced in comparison to the LED units now out

Last edited:
Bud, Once I have all the import fees, Transport fees, duties etc I will let you know the 'Plice' :)
If a couple of guys are keen we can import as a group because 20 is a minimum order..
But again I must 'guinie pig' my tank first!
I have 3 other mates on the South Coast that are going to replace there 4, 2 and 1 unit respectively to test... over 4 tanks and a variety of Hard and soft corals, we should get a pretty good set of results I'm sure!:biggrin:

there are lots of these here in cape towns "china town" but worst is ,the guys selling it doesn know anything about it, the ones i saw on display were rather yellowish which obviously wouldnt be suitable for marine but it is rather bright so good use for backyards etc

it even comes in diferent sizes,awsome small ones for nanos, but i wouldn trust it just yet lol, it would grow you an algae garden in no time

Last edited by a moderator:
there are lots of these here in cape towns "china town" but worst is ,the guys selling it doesn know anything about it, the ones i saw on display were rather yellowish which obviously wouldnt be suitable for marine but it is rather bright so good use for backyards etc it even comes in diferent sizes,awsome small ones for nanos, but i wouldn trust it just yet lol, it would grow you an algae garden in no time

Trust me when you go to China you get a range of materials from what we call "Fong Kong s**t" right through to top quality stuff... that is the problem of ordering over the web to the likes of alibaba.com
Especially a lot of distrubutors in certain industries here coz they will get a supplier saying whatever for $20 dollars and another saying $30 dollars and which one is the supplier gonna go for generally!

Lighting wise I saw plenty of "different " quality LED's as we are using them for lighting resedential & commercial complexes here, our business is Project Management & Development. The Yellow ones you probably saw were in the 5000K range spectrum... good for plants and making stuff look yellow:blush:

Interesting. Curious to see the results after a few months.
Hell ya me too;)

I'll let you guys know when they arrive.
I will get my Sparky mate to run all the Lumen, etc tests and let you guys know..
Also will try see if I can get a unit next to my 250W MH and just compare overall looks and colouring of lighting;)

Back
Top Bottom