LED 's

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bru, 13 Oct 2013.

1. bru

bru

I am in the process of building a new tank 2400x1000x750 and have been doing a lot of reading on this forum into sumps /powerheads and new technology. LED 's seem like a cost effective solution - I watched this video - - and the light he achieved for US $ 300 is insane

What is the latest technology available in South Africa ? Who are the best people to speak to ??

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Riaanvw

Riaanvw

Yes it is, if you build your own.

If you buy or build your own make sure the light have a small amount of the hyper violet spectrum in. It is a relatively new LED so not all fixture have it as part of the design. If you build/configure your own light 1 violet LED or less for every 6 white LEDs

4. bru

bru Thread Starter

Where in SA can you get LED's from ??

5. Riaanvw

Riaanvw

Small quantities is a problem. Arrow Altech is the Cree agents in South Africa, but they want to sell 1000's at a time. Try rapidled.com in the USA they ship to SA.

6. bru

bru Thread Starter

Perfect - if Rapidled ship to SA then that will work !

7. ShaunVenter

ShaunVenter

Howsit Bru hahahaha
    Let me know if your going to import as your probably going to have to buy a ton to make it worthwhile.
    Im also busy looking at doing the whole DIY LED system for my new build and will gladly either go half or piggy back on your order to make it viable...

Let me know yeah ?
    Shot Bru..
    Ps also from Durban so could do it without all the hassle of sending elsewhere in SA.

8. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Rapidled, ledgroupbuy, steves led are the most commonly used

9. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Hi @bru. Before you go DIY talk to @Andre@ReefAquatics and check what they have. That size tank you would need quite a few LED's and remember that importing the LED's would at the end cost you nearly double due to import costs etc.

10. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

@Riaanvw, In your recommendations you have mentioned to make sure that you use 'Hyper Violet' leds when going DIY. UV Spectrum in LED's is a topic widely debated in this hobby. If you don't mind sharing your findings with me, and if the literature bodes credible I would like to work with my manufacturers for further development. Just PM me as we don't want to hijack @bru 's thread about LED basics.

@bru, thanks for contacting us. I’ve watched the video and it’s great to see how easy DIY builds are becoming nowadays. Although the diodes themselves are duty free, everything else is not, so don't forget to add 20% + 14% + at least $50 shipping.
    Just research every angle and you won't go wrong.

By the sounds of things you are in the process of building a tank, but just bare expense in mind. Most LED fixtures cover 600 wide, so going 1000 wide you will have to stagger units, requiring almost 1/3 more LED's, hence more expense.

A tank with dimensions of 2400x600 (and not 1000), installing pre-manufactured units you will be looking at around the R12K mark, and that's still cheap. I cannot say for DIY as there are many variables that you, the DIY'er, can tweak to save costs.

So in a nutshell, the point I'm trying to make is that your tank is considered a large tank and as far as lighting goes, anyway you look at it, it’s not going to be cheap. I would however say based on power efficiency and bulb replacement cost into the future, I would without a doubt continue researching the LED route. Also most LED units are modular having single controllers controlling multiple units. Resale later also a benefit as these modules could be used on a variety of tank sizes.

I really hope this helps somewhat. Please also remember that what I've stated above are only my opinions and the route I would take when starting a new build, other reefers might differ.

There are many really great DIY LED units discussed on the forum. Try to estimate as close as possible what the DIY will set you back, also do this as honestly as possible , you can leave out the sundries like wire, solder, numerous trips to builders warehouse etc as the thrill and achievement of your very own DIY system pays for this.

Hope you pursue this task and I would love to know what the DIY cost would amount to, as I said, pre-manufactured units fully controllable will not be less than R12k for your setup.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Riaanvw

Riaanvw

@Andre@ReefAquatics

A lot of confusion exist in the market regarding Violet. Violet light is defined as the wavelengths 400nm to about 450nm (Depending which handbook you use) Ultra violet (UV) is defined as 10nm to 400nm. The UV wavelengths is not visible to humans. While Violet light is still visible to human eyes.

You are right there is a lot of questions about the use of UV because it causes cell and DNA damage. So I would also stay away from the UV spectrum.

Hyper Violet (HV) is part of the visible violet spectrum. HV is generally referred to as the colour of light around 430nm. Visually its colour is pinkish to a purple blue (more pink than blue). This wavelength is just shorter than the royal blue wavelength. So it will fill in the last part of the missing visible light spectrum which current blue and white led combination does not fill in.

Hope this helps

12. Andre@ReefAquatics

@Riaanvw, know I know what you meant. Yes many of us talk UV meaning sub 450nm (sub RB), you are also referring to the TV (True Violet) 430nm some refer it too, PM me if you want to discuss further I would like to show you the spectrum of a certain configuration, and let's move away from this thread and not turn this tread into a spectrum discussion :) but keep it to @bru's topic.

13. Istio

Istio

14. Istio

Istio

If cost effectiveness is important then maybe the challenge is not to build a fixture that has to mounted a meter above the water and that only runs 100% for 4hrs a day...

15. bru

bru Thread Starter

Hi @Andre - what LED products can you recommend ??

16. bru

bru Thread Starter

BTW - I am not looking to pursue the DIY route - I was just interested in the LED product since that video I have seen a number of other LED applications - the build in sunrise / sunset function and the moonlight function from an LED installation is just amazing. The presentation of the LED units also look good, price is good and sustainability also good and heat release also good !! A no brainer

17. Istio

Istio

Definitely, the leading manufactures of fixtures put so much R&D in, if you can, go for it. I am happy to be corrected but the state of the technology now is that there are only three of four manufactures of quality led chips. The same actual led chips (Cree, Luxeon, Philips) , mounted on a starboard, you can buy from rapidled ect for your own project...Manufacturers of Led Fixtures come up with there own combinations of the same chips and then of coarse ad the awesome controllability (is that a word :blush:) you mention.

18. Andre@ReefAquatics

Have a look at our 2 Units:

PHAROS 90W Module : covering 60 x 70 R3150.00

[​IMG]

IntelliSun Full Spectrum : Comes in a range of Sizes - Starting at R2400 for the 85W unit

[​IMG]

Please let me know if you need more detail.

19. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I'm using a Pharos on my 350l and I'm very happy with it. Very good value for money.

I've had RapidLED Crees on my 600l for about 2 years now and they also rock, though colour isn't quite as nice as the Pharos because they're 50/50 royal blue to white. Really good coral growth though.

20. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Andre is very correct here in saying most LED units are usually for 600 wide. There might be some that claim more but cant be sure. However if you were to add 2 t5 to each side you should be able to light up 1000 wide tank. Similar to the Pacific Suns Carlos has on his tank or the modification DIY that Butcherman did to his LED build

As to the use of Violet (UV as some call it) here is a study http://www.biolbull.org/content/135/1/149.full.pdf and yes I know this paper is abit old but the data cant change

Lots of info there, but here is a little summary on the 400nm-430nm range

400nm-430nm hits a couple of pigments & caretenoids found in the zooxanthellae.
    Chlorophyll a (emission colour blue-green)
    Diadinoxanthin (emission colour - yellow)
    Dinoxanthin (emission colour yellow)
    Neo-dinoxanthin (emission colour pale yellow)
    B-carotene (emission colour orange)

21. Riaanvw

Riaanvw

I must say after studying the arrangement of the Pharos I, must say really like it.

Recent Posts