LED ratio of colours

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Clownfish9906, 27 Jul 2012.

1. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hi guys...

I am have convinced myself that I am building an LED light fixture. I have done some reading on the wiring, cooling requirments, drivers, pots, etc.

One thing that I am not able to find proper reading material is on the ratio of leds to be used...

Guys, can you please assist with the ratio that you have used and for what purposes.

Please advise on anything that you may want to change if given the oppertunity to redo.

Thanks a mill
    CF

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aquetas

Aquetas

Hi Clown Chat to Butcherman. His DIY unit was very nice and used a mixture of white, royal blue, red, green and UV i think. I based my build on my new tank on his advice.

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Your color can be achieved in 2 ways.

1. mixing led's - ie using 12 royal blue and 8 cool white to give you a bluer look (lets say 16000k)
    this system is very basic and requires no technical gadgets other than driver and led's with a heatsink. generally there is no Dimming on this kind of system. you turn it on and off and that is it.

2. colour control through dimming. - I used this technique on my build i used equal amounts of led's (you can use any amount you please) with the addition of dimmable drivers and a controller you can now "mix" or "paint" your tank ie control whites and blue independently. you can change the intensity of blues and whites separately and also have blues come on and different times.
    The biggest benefit to me is you can have your tank running whiter when you are not at home (aiding in coral growth) and then run bluer when you are home (showing off their fluorescents)
    this system is more complicated because it requires dimmable drivers and an appropriate controller.

5. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Hi @butcherman ,

I am also building a LED fixture, unfortunately I wont be able to come to the "JHB meeting" :peroni::slayer::yeahdude::peroni: on the weekend to attend the LED workshop...

Im curious as to what the RED and GREEN LED's really do, are they more for aesthetics?

Im looking at building a unit with approx 10x 6500K, 10x 10000K, 8 - 10 Royal Blue's and possibly some 20000K LED's...I wanted to substitute some of the white LED's for RED and GREEN but not too sure what difference this would really make...will be using two dimmable drivers to run the array of LED's (one fixture) I will still play around with the dimming configuration...

Any advice would be really appreaciated :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. butcherman

When i built my unit there was alot of speculation as to what wavelengths are needed and what led's are producing. so as a matter of personal piece of mind i used 1 red 1 green and 2 uv led's on my builds

Unfortunatly i can not scientifically prove that they do or do not work. All i know is this mix is working great in my tank :thumbup:

7. butcherman

With such a spread of light (6500k, 10000k, 20000k and royal blue) i would not bother with the reds and greens.
    Personnaly i only used cool white amd royal blues i did not like the blue or warm white (once again all personal prefrence)

8. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Thanks @butcherman :thumbup:

Do the Green and Red make any difference visually? Sure the UV would make the colors pop nicely...Do you think I should add UV? Or is it not really needed?

Sorry for all the questions...:p I'm sure Clownfish (Avi) will bombard you with millions more on the weekend as we are working togther on each others builds...lol Teamwork :peroni:

9. butcherman

The Royal blues make the colours pop
    Uv is there for photosynthesis

visually no this was to suplement a wider lightspectrum maybe offer a colour i was lacking

10. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906 Thread Starter

11. butcherman

Like the graphs show i chose cool white as is had the broadest spectrum available at the time. I believe is it about 8000k.
    I added a few Reds and Greens, unlenesed, to raise those specific color ranges. (the reason for this was when i built my LED's allot of talk was going on about the longterm survival about tanks in general under LED's due to the lack of a wide color spectrum)

I also added UV for photosynthesis.

My color mix has worked for me and one only needs look at the radions (which came out after i built my unit) to see a similar approach

12. Manic

Manic Moderator

Finished my light unit last night and it is already working on the tank. Running it without lenses at the moment. Got 40 leds (20 blue, 20 white) on a 300mm x 190mm heatsink, so the leds are really tightly packed. Wrote a short program to ramp the blues up and then the whites and then ramp the blues down and then ramp the whites down, just to see what ratio looks the best. Will try post a vid, the program takes 2 minutes to run. I've settled on the following percentages for the best colour ratio: 100% blue, 30% white. Might have to tune the blue down while keeping the same blue-white ratio as the tank is way to bright.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2012
  13. butcherman

im currently building a unit 50% cool white 50% royal blue and i am very happy with the light.

Recent Posts