Led lights

Reaction score
So I'm starting to do the led light research  so what is the opion of the reefers got a 2m tank and it seems I will need to get 2 units to light up the tank but what will be the better choice going to aim for a mix reef setup.

Had a look at the pharos and zetlights at this stage any other brands I can have a look at?

Thanks

Also a factor except for that it seems that there is so many brands my problem is which one will be the best or is there one that I can buy only one unit instead of two seems all the one I read of is max 90cm tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lights is always a heated discussion. My advise to you would be look at as many tanks as possible and see what they use and what you like. That will make your desition much easier. You might not even like the led look and decide to go with T5.

Never been afraid of diy but don't really know what to look for and where to start and what features can be achieved by diy like the sunrise,sunset feature ect

You can build it how you need it or want it. it hasn't got an name brand but is a hell of a lot cheaper but that's my opinion

I think Dexter has the same setup as mine I ordered all my parts improved living including controller the will also do all the calculations for you pm me your number and I can send you some pics

Brand not really a issue just clear aquarium viewing and sufficient for all coral tipes

zetlights seems to be very good value for money. You will need 2 units yes. Not many manufactureres make large units, and the only one that I can think of is the Vertex Illumina that also makes 1,5 and 1,8m long units. But you can most probably buy 4-5 zetlights for its price.

Last edited:
got a 2m tank
the most important bit of information is missing.

How deep is your tank?
Or
How high would your rock stack be? Meaning you are placing the corals closer to the lights.

Both questions basically means the same thing. How deep under water would the corals with the most light intensity requirements be?

As a newbie, I would recommend to start out with an older secondhand T5 unit. Even if you replace the globes when you get the unit, it will still be far cheaper than going immediately with Leds. Use the money to buy the best skimmer you can afford, and the best glass box. You can always sell the T5 unit after a year or when the globe replacement comes up. Or keep it in the garage rafters as a backup unit.

Tank is 600mm high and thinking of not stacking the rock higher than halfway up but I'll look into all the options.

2 zetlights would be good, I've never used one but people that have rave about them and you don't often see them popping up in the for sale. Another option would be pharos, good lights, I use one and am stuck deciding whether to get an additional or swap for zetlight

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom