led lights

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Leon1975, 23 Mar 2012.

1. Leon1975

Leon1975

pls help, my tank is 3000mm long 750 wide and 800 high i have 4 250w metal hailites on there and its eating electrisity is there any other recomodation of lights that i can use i hear every body is going on about the led lights;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lancehall123

lancehall123

Hi Leon1975,

My feeling about LED's is that it's a personal preference thing. I personally prefer LED's but other people like to stick with the more conventional Florescent or MH option.

Once you get past that hump then you will need to decide which brand that you would like to go with...Do your research before putting money into it. Make sure that LED's are in the correct nm band for coral growth etc.

Then you have got to design your LED's and optics to see how the light can be spread throughout the tank without too much of it being wasted eg LED's shining outside the tank.

Note: Make sure that the LED's that you get are on a Star board. This will act as a mini heat sink (not saying that you dont need a big heat sink) and makes your life a whole lot easier when it comes to soldering.

In terms of a brand, The guys that know me on the forum will know that I am a Cree fanboy. Some of the others like bridgelux etc. It all depends on your budget really (like anything).

I might have missed out a whole lot of info here so please ask questions and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks,
    Lance

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

If you want to check out LED's pop in by TSR and check them out, pretty impressive. Im still running old school with metal halides and T5's haha

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

your tank is 800 deep.

Depending on the type of corals low down in your tank. Also on how high your rock stack and the corals placed on the stack. How high in the tank is the corals. Type of corals like SPS and clams?

I doubt if LEDs will be your answer. Unless it is a softy dominated tank.

Also on the length of 3 meters and 750 wide
    You need to place units sideways, front to back, about 20cm apart. You will need 7 units. (Maybe 8 depending if you got rock and corals up to the sides)

Of the shelf, you have to make sure you sit down before you here the total price. My wallet can definitely not handle that.

DIY, well your soldering skills will be great there after.

6. Submariner

Submariner

Hi Leon1975

You have a few options available

You can go with the Vertex Illumilux units you will need 8 units to light your tank these will be good for SPS at a depth of 550 Deep.

other option is the Vertex Illumina which is Vertex flagship lighting, i would recommend two SR260 units .

Hi Riaanp

You seriously need to come and see a Illumina light running, i am running a 1000 litre reef 1500 x 1000 x 500D on a single 1200 long SR200 unit.

I doubt if LEDs will be your answer. Unless it is a softy dominated tank.

Vertex Illumina LED units will easilly do this tank full SPS and clams.

Also on the length of 3 meters and 750 wide
    You need to place units sideways, front to back, about 20cm apart. You will need 7 units. (Maybe 8 depending if you got rock and corals up to the sides)

Not true you will easilly light this tank with two 1200 long Illumina SR260 units.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes agreed. Depending on the unit. Radion for example is a short unit (as well as some other units.)
    So placement for light coverage could be better by using units side by side.

It also depends on the optics used on longer units. Narrow angle optics, and on a tank 750mm wide you might need to run 2 units next to each other. That is why I said that having short units sideways is an option. Again this depends on the rock stack and coral placement. Low rocks and clams low down is a problem as you said you can easily do 550 deep. Tank is 800, so yes it again depends on the placements of the SPS.

I'm seriously considering LEDs, as I do believe that they are the future. The LED technology advanced a lot the last 2 years. Wonder where we will be in another 2 years time.

What angle optics do you have on this one?

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Cost?

with 60 degree optics it should not be a problem

coverage is the problem weather you diy or buy a unit you will need to get a few units, and that starts getting expensive!

9. Submariner

Submariner

Hi RiaanP

unlike all the other lights on the market the Illumina are made to run close to the waters surface and do not use optics so you get a much more natural light spread .

Hi Butcherman

The illumina units do not use optics so a single unit will easily give you the light spread you need we have tested these lights on a 700 deep tank SPS tank with clams on the sand bed with very good results .

Last edited: 23 Mar 2012
  10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Fair enough no optics means better spread.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2012
Recent Posts