LED Lights

Reaction score
hi Alfie, you could my put 3 in series, but would not be the best, i've done a couple of led curcuits, done one recently that powered blue leds that was dimable. do you want to use it as day lighting or moon lighting.

Reaction score
Where can I get LED's that I can run in water off a 9v battery?
Can't help with the LED's, but just a word of caution - if you run the LED's under water
you must make damn sure that you don't have any copper wire, or the LED "legs", exposed to the water (or to salt build-up above the water...). Apart from causing a current to flow in the tank, and possible electrolysis of the (conductive) salt water, the copper will dissolve and it is highly toxic to all marine animals.

Hennie

Reaction score
Does one not get an LED in SA that is made to be used underwater? That is isolated and sealed.

Reaction score
Well, the LED might be isolated, but how do you get the power to the LED - somewhere you will have to make a connection...

Reaction score
Hennie I saw an thread on Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders where they used LED's underwater. I do not know if these are manufactured as waterproof or not.

Reaction score
you could solder wire to the led, use epoxy to seal connection and use heat shrink to seal over it all, maybe heat the shrink over the epoxy while its still a little soft and some more when set, never tried this before so maybe test in a separate tank first and monitor. why is it that you want to put under water anyway ?

Reaction score
not sure of you setup but why don't you get a piece of say 8-10mm acrylic plastic rod, drill a 5mm hole in the one end and glue the led in it, heat the rod up and bend it to run it where you want it to go keeping the led side dry, and it should act as a optic cable??? just polish the other end so it emmits the light. You could even "paint" the side of the rod so it doesn't light up like a neon tube, should work!

Reaction score
Alfie, why does the light have to be in the tank? Can the LED shine from the outside in???

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Alfie - I know that AquaH2O used to sell a range of lighting (lower-power - BUT not sure if they were LEDs) that was water-proof. Perhaps give them a call - not sure if they sell to the public at this stage anymore...... They also used to be a sponsor - not sure if they are anymore.