Led lights requirements

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Wonder if anyone here can give me some advice on LED Lights? My tank size is 1.2x 400x400mm. I am thinking of switching over from T5 to LED, seeing that I need to buy new tubes every year it is becoming expensive...., I am currently using 6x54W T5 tubes and my corals and everything else in my tank is doing very well. Please advise me on what type of lights I need (wattage/ Lumens ...), In addition, I see that the prices on E bay are not that expensive has any one bought lights on Ebay?

Regards
Cobus

Last edited:
What is your budget? Do you mean 1,2 metre in length? 500 deep is a great depth for LED lighting. Also, if its not broken don't fix it, T5 lighting (the good globes like ATI and geissemann) generally last 18 months.

Sorry just went and measured it again, my tank is 1.2m (length) x400 (wide) x400 (deep). I am using Red Sea T5, a year and a half goes quickly and the tubes is also expensive if I replace it will cost me around R3000.00. I am running these lights from last year Feb so need to change it in 2 months time, I can rather put the R3000.00 towards LED that will last longer, the colours of the corals also looks better under LED Lights. My budget is anything under R10 000

Last edited:
well the unit was designed to do 1m x 1m x 1m deep , i am sure it should be enough it is a vertex sr 360 300 and has the extra pad in it and also comes with a v link , go and check it out on vetex website

Thanks Rigby, Will go and look, please do not sell unit until I get back to you at the latest around 3 this afternoon. Were are you situated?

Last edited:
Hey Cobus, I have an aqua beauty unit is 275 watts, on my tank now and its really great looking for R 5000 for the unit has a solid frame and hanging kit. Lights are remote control and fully programable unit is 4 months old. selling cause Im upgrading my system. I am in Northcliff JHB

Grr,

I am really interested in upgrading from my T5 units, JHB is about an hours drive from me, so might it actually might be better to buy from you, I am just waiting for Rigby on his location, Swaziland is a bit far...

Grr,

Will get back to you this afternoon also wont keep you waiting, as soon as I have free time I just want look at your lights specs

Super ,

Thanks this is a great forum. If the lights that's on offer will be enough for my tank size I will gladly buy second hand.

Rigby,

Thanks for getting back to me, When will you be able to deliver? and how old (hours approx.) did the lights run?

With LED's is the wattage still the same, I know that with the T5's I need 1w per 1litre water (approx.) Will that always be the case whether I run my system on T5 or LED's?

Back
Top Bottom