Led light unit info

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Mr.Nano, 22 May 2013.

1. Mr.Nano

Mr.Nano Jay

hi guys
    so im planning on building a custom led light unit
    was wondering what info u guys had on using led.
    now what i mean by using is power led's, 5mm, 8mm ,10mm etc
    and whether or not led drivers are a neccesary.
    the main white light im gna use are as follows
    [​IMG]
    would the above be sufficient for good coral growth?
    and then the plan was if the white was good enough for growth then i was gonna go with simple 5mm ultra bright led in red green blue and violet for added colour?

what you guys think any ideas / advice would be helpfull

thank in advance guys :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Francois

Francois

Hi @Mr.Nano

Those specs of the cool white led are quite low at 1W / 90-110LM. Can you send me a link to those leds? I would rather go with these type of leds as it's proven to grow even the most light power hungry sps's

Home Page
    LED Group Buy
    Rapid LED

I would rather go for CREEs or Philips Luxeon LED's

What is the size of your tank?
    And what are you planning to keep?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Mr.Nano

Mr.Nano Thread Starter Jay

hi @Francois
    the only info i could find on those power led's was that page which i posted cant seem to find much else.
    the 10mm led specs
    Specifications
    Peak wavelength: 625nm
    Forward voltage at IF = 20mA: 1.9V
    Forward current max.: 30mA
    Viewing angle: 10°
    those would be what i was thinking of using in general for the other colours.

as for tank size its 1.2 m*45cm *45cm a standard sized tank.

was planning on keeping leathers , sps , lps , so mixed basicly.

this is the link to where i gt the leds specs from.
    Bulbs - Aquamarine Extreme Cool White LED chip - 15000K !! - 110 Lumens Ultra bright - FREE SHIPPING OPTION for sale in Port Elizabeth (ID:99949656)

5. Mr.Nano

alternative to the 10mm led i was gonna use these.

[​IMG]
    Power LED 1W, Star type, Royal Blue 120°
    High quality power LED featuring silicon lens with high flux and long lifetime.

Royal Blue LED, Star type package and rated 1W at approximately 350mA.

Specifications
    Viewing Angle: 120°
    Material: InGaN/SiC
    Emitter Colour: Royal Blue
    Wavelength: 470-475
    Electro-optical characteristics:
    Vf typical - 3.3V (350mA)
    Spatial Radiation Pattern: 23nm
    Case style: Lambertian

6. Mr.Nano

how true is it that the higher the (K) the better the colour and the lower the (K)
    the better the growth is ?

7. Francois

Francois

Those leds will work for a Softie tank e.g leather and star polyps only and not for LPS & SPS.

The link you've send me is only the led and not the heat sink base plate. If you want to keep a mix tank and be able to dimm your leds with less power consumption and more light I'll go for these:

luxeon star

They are three times more powerfull than those on the link you've send me with the heat sink base plate, some specs;

This is the Luxeon ES series! The finest Cool White LED on the market - Even superior to Cree LEDS (XM-L). XM-L consumes 2.90V at 700ma, Luxeons only consume 2.50!!
    - Forward Voltage is 2.50V @ 700ma
    - Max current - 1000ma
    - Luminous Intensity - 351 Lumens minimum at 1000ma
    - Color Temperature - 6.300K CCT - Equivalent to 10,000K Metal Halide or T5 Lighting. This is not the optimal choice for coral growth, (see 5,000K Neutral White), however it provides an excellent crisp white light with no yellow.
    - Lens Beam Angle - 120° max
    - Star - Comes pre-mounted to a MCPCB Aluminum 20mm wide star. This can be used with thermal paste, thermal glue, thermal tape, screws or rivets. We mount these in-house, using American made digital reflow equipment in a humidity controlled enviromnent to ensure you get the longest lifespan out of your LED. Why trust anyone else to mount your LEDs for you?

8. Francois

Francois

It's all true:p

The higher the K the more blue the light has got and makes your corals pop, but with slower growth rate, the lower the K are the better the growth rate but will tend to go more on the yellow light side.

9. Mr.Nano

[​IMG]

these are the heatsinks for the 15000k globes.

so if the kelvin thing is true then what if i use the 2 * 1w 15000k leds for the colour and one of these lower kelvin leds for growth :

[​IMG]
    link at : Other Electrical Lighting - 3W Warm White LED chip **EPISTAR ** Eye scorching brightness** FREE shipping option for sale in Port Elizabeth (ID:99284347)

with the red, green and blue power leds with the heat sinks like these:

[​IMG]

in this cluster arrangement: * 5 cluster in the unit.

--------------------Blue-Violet----------------------
    -15k-other white led that i posted 3500k- 15k--
    -----------------red-Blue-green-----------------------
    what you think?

10. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

pm us what exactly you are trying to DIY and we might be able to supply you with a pre manufactured LED unit using the state of the art Cree XTE chips for the same, price.

I do understand that some prefer to DIY themselves for the challenge :) If so, I expect no reply :)

11. Mr.Nano

[​IMG]
    or what about these for the growth side of the unit ?

@Andre thanx ill pm u a sketch up design of mor or less how the setup will look later on .

12. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

By all means DIY your LED but, be sure to seek advice of the more experience LED DIY'ers, in my experience although they specify 14000k leds, you buy it and it gives the colour temp of 6500k which is good for the sump, so just be very careful !!!

Ask the guys that have completed a LED DIY, find out where they bought their LEDS and follow suite, be sceptical of buying from and unknown source, their 14000K is not always 14000k :)

13. Mr.Nano

@ andre yeah i know that some sources are abit on the unreliable side when it comes to info on products . and i get that the cree and luxeons are the best but im looking for a cheaper alternative not becoz of price or anything just for the sake of a project . as im happy with my lights at the moment but just as a project i wana throw together a led unit to try out and build it at the lowest cost possible so i need info on how efficient the lights that i posted work for the needs of marine lighting . sorry if it sounds rude but i dont mean anything by it just trying to get you to see my point of view for this project;)

@Francois you seem to have alot of experience on led's so what do you think about the 10 w 900 lumens 6500k led chip . would that be sufficient lighting in my cluster arrangement.

thanx for all advice so far guys

14. Mr.Nano

any idea what the best lumens is for a marine tank?

15. Francois

Francois

If you want to go for those leds rather go for the 3w and upwards leds. I'll skip the 1w 14k - 15K led.

Your main leds for growing corals in reef aquaria is white and royal blue leds. Rule of thumb with DIY led build is, on the coolwhite leds 1:1 ratio, one coolwhite and one royal blue at the same forward current of 700ma, and on the neutal white 1:2 ratio, one neutral white and two royal blues at the same forward current. You are going to need drivers to power up your leds, and give you that forward current of 700ma. If you can get those drivers dimmable it's a bonus, as you can set your color temp. which your tank must run any thing from 9000k - 20000 k, with the right mixture of cool whites and royal blues at the same forward current.

The other color leds: violet, green and red is only for color and to bring out the right color pigmentation out of the coral. Note that red leds will boost algea growth so it's advisable to run it on a lower forward current or with a dimmer.

The specs. on post 8 seems dodgy though as they state the led is cool white with a color temp. of 3500 -5000 K, that's more like warm white to neutral white so i'll skip that one and rather go for the cool white 6000 - 6500K.

The 3w led punch out 200-220lm at a forward current of 700mA thats not to bad at all. I'll build my five clusters like this.

RB,CW,VIOLET
    CW,RB,CW
    GREEN,RED,RB

So every cluster CW will at least punch out 660lm, RB will give you lm as well at 700 ma forward current . Thats more than enough on your tank size off 1.2 m*45cm *45cm, and you'll be able to grow any types of corals.

Last edited: 23 May 2013
    Mr.Nano likes this.
  16. Mr.Nano

thanks for all the info @Francois . will definately put it to good use wen finding the leds .

i was also thinking of doing something along the lines of using these
    [​IMG]
    specs are in post 10 , but its a 900 lm 10 w spotlight led chip 6000- 6500k.

was thinking of maybe using the clusters with the 15000k globes . ( i know ur against them but i kinda ordered them before this thread started :biggrin:) so for the sake of not waistin them use them with the clusters of royal blues and others for my colour( coz if the 15000k are really 15k the should produce so nice colour pop , shouldnt they )
    and then use those 10w 900lm spot chips for the growth.

so an arrangement like this for instance

--cluster1----900lm chip---cluster2---cluster3---cluster4----900lm chip---cluster5-

along the light unit.
    then run the clusters and the 900lm chip on seperate controllers?
    what you think?

17. Mr.Nano

also do you know any places in cape town area where you can get the drivers from ?
    or is online the best bet?.

18. Mr.Nano

ive had a look at your system very nice by the way:thumbup: . its kinda where i gt the base idea from for my led build . i saw ur drivers there arent that many , how many leds run off a single driver?. from some drivers i saw online it looked like you could only run one led off of one driver .

Last edited: 23 May 2013
  19. Francois

Francois

Are you going for this cluster then?

in this cluster arrangement: * 5 cluster in the unit.

-15k-other white led that i posted 3500k- 15k--

with two of those 900lm chip, if so than that is more than enough light actually to much:yeahdude: You have to get a dimmable driver then as you'll fry your corals:eek:. How far are you planning to keep your led unit from the water?

20. Mr.Nano

essentially yes that would be the cluster arrangement
    less the other 3w 3500k globe. opting out for another blue maybe.

------------------15k-Blue- 15k----------------------

lol yes those 900lm would definately go on a dimmer .essentially i wan have them all dimmable .
    how do you know whats the correct brightness tho once its on a dimmer and all .
    the light unit will prob be about 15 cm off the water?
    what height would you reccomend .

21. Francois

Francois

No sorry I dont, your best bet is to get drivers from the place you order from or from overseas as eg. meanwell drivers are expensive here in SA. The drivers I used is well priced and can run more leds and are dimmable. The quad driver from Steves Leds can run 28 leds in series for 26 dollars

Recent Posts