Led info

Reaction score
Hi guys i know there are sites showing on how to work out how many Led's you need but i wanna make sure on how many blue and white's i need my Tank is 100L

61L x 31W x 42H cm 63L

And i would aslo like to know if its better to Diy the set or buy a complete set

Thanks Guys
Quite keen to Go LED
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Bud there is nothing wrong or inferior about DIY. Results can be very good. In the DIY department i played around with LEDs a few years ago. The results were not convincing at that time. However, things are a changing. Technology has improved and in my mind will continue to do so.

Developed units are very expensive and are still improving every day. I believe .there will be a newer generation of LED lighting that will hit the industry shortly.

Interzoo 2012 is just around the corner, where all the newest gizmos and concepts are revealed. No doubt some exciting stuff will come out then. 17-20 May.

But our own AquariumExpo2012 promises to display some of the latest technology in LED lighting and effects.

If i were you, have a little patients an see what is new this year.

Maybe DIY kits will be available from your LFS.

It really depends on what you are looking to keep as sps and clams will need more leds than soft corals and lps.

For your tank I would go for 25 leds if using bridgelux or 20 cree leds. This will give you enough light for sps. The heat sink will need to be about 30cm x 15cm. Diy is obviously cheaper. For 25 leds you can run a single mean well driver which costs about R300 and the leds are around R20 with lenses and shipping.

It all depends on what you want to keep.

I just bought a Solarmax Flexiled ( TSR lighting specials - Marine Aquariums of South Africa) unit from TSR and am very happy with the results. My tank is slightly larger than yours so a single unit would probably give you great results and the price is excellent. Speak to @Submariner from TSR for some pricing. A lot of members are using the Vertex Illumilux units with great results as well.

Here's the results on my tank (will be posting new pic's in the next few days):

Solarmax LED upgrade - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

@SApicoreef is also using one and loves it

solarmax led units - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

A lot of members have gone the DIY route with both Cree and Bridgelux LED's and have had outstanding results. Here are some good build threads to read through:

Manic's DIY Led Build - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
Butcherman's DIY LED build - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
New Tank Build plus electronics - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Going DIY you will definitely get more power at a lower cost and if DIY is your thing you will get the joy of putting it all together :)

Here's a comparison done between some of the units at a recent MASA meet:

LED lighting showdown - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea they are very nice! a little birdy told me they will be on the local market soon.....

@ScottK I haven't even started using them but i do love them and can't wait to set up the new tank to get them into action.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar kit ordered from the same guys works really well nothing else need, just a soldering iron. I like the diy route as its cheaper and you learn something.
I would go for 12white 12blue, or send them a mail and ask for 14white 10blue as it can be a bit too blue.

I would say about 15-20cm should be alright.

Back
Top Bottom