LED/electronics expert needed

Reaction score
LED/electronics expert needed for input on design/construction of third generation algae turf scrubbers. First generation was simply a light bulb and some plastic:

BucketInOperation.jpg

Second generation was an acrylic box with high output T5HO's:

AcrylicReadyLightsOn.jpg

Third generation will be high power LED based, with small size and LED heat management being priorities. PM if interested. Here is the general thread for background info:

Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

RiaanP

Reaction score
Yes SantaMonica, LED's will work.
BUT
In South Africa the LED that will do the job cost around R60 each, that is roughly $6 for one unit. That exclude building the structure, and without heatsinks to get rid of the heat. Yes the get very hot. And because they are placed so closely together the heat will be a problem.
I looked into creating my own Solaris unit, Solaris is just way out to expensive in South Africa. But the project easily would have exceeded R5000 (over $500) and that is without housing, timers and fans.
Waiting for another LED to be lauched at half-price. Got some info but not yet available. Maybe then.

Reaction score
I saw an led light today, was in a T5 tube, probably a m long. 368 white LED's. You run it off the same connectors but with 220v. Bulb costs about R1300.
I have other LED lights that screw into a normal light fitting. Bought them from ACE hardware SantaMonica.

Reaction score
It looks very similar to this except it had 3 rows of leds
80349282ecfbc623.jpg

moz

Reaction score
While I am far from an expert, for a simple circuit using LEDs check out http://ledcalc.com I believe this will be perfect for what you need. As far as heat management goes check out the following http://www.moreleds.com/coolingluxeons.htm. And one last thing, there are a couple of Chinese ebayers offering high power LEDs at reasonable prices, I've bought 3W LEDs from them to build an experimental lighting unit for my tank.