LED/electronics expert needed

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by SantaMonica, 21 Nov 2008.

1. SantaMonica

SantaMonica

LED/electronics expert needed for input on design/construction of third generation algae turf scrubbers. First generation was simply a light bulb and some plastic:

[​IMG]

Second generation was an acrylic box with high output T5HO's:

[​IMG]

Third generation will be high power LED based, with small size and LED heat management being priorities. PM if interested. Here is the general thread for background info:

Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes SantaMonica, LED's will work.
    BUT
    In South Africa the LED that will do the job cost around R60 each, that is roughly $6 for one unit. That exclude building the structure, and without heatsinks to get rid of the heat. Yes the get very hot. And because they are placed so closely together the heat will be a problem.
    I looked into creating my own Solaris unit, Solaris is just way out to expensive in South Africa. But the project easily would have exceeded R5000 (over $500) and that is without housing, timers and fans.
    Waiting for another LED to be lauched at half-price. Got some info but not yet available. Maybe then.

4. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

I saw an led light today, was in a T5 tube, probably a m long. 368 white LED's. You run it off the same connectors but with 220v. Bulb costs about R1300.
    I have other LED lights that screw into a normal light fitting. Bought them from ACE hardware SantaMonica.

5. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

It looks very similar to this except it had 3 rows of leds
    [​IMG]

6. moz

moz

While I am far from an expert, for a simple circuit using LEDs check out http://ledcalc.com I believe this will be perfect for what you need. As far as heat management goes check out the following http://www.moreleds.com/coolingluxeons.htm. And one last thing, there are a couple of Chinese ebayers offering high power LEDs at reasonable prices, I've bought 3W LEDs from them to build an experimental lighting unit for my tank.

7. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

8. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Thread Starter

Thanks for those links. While they would work for a regular scrubber in a box, they are not sufficient for the scrubbers being designed. I'll send you a link so you can see.

Recent Posts