Led Algae Scrubber

Reaction score
I love watching other people build stuff and all the pics and how they develop.

So if you are interested here are the first few pics of my attempt at a algae scrubber.

WP_20131201_005 (Small).jpg

WP_20131201_006 (Small).jpg

WP_20131201_007 (Small).jpg

WP_20131201_008 (Small).jpg

This is the start no drain in the holder yet.

No screen ( hoping to find one locally) but drilling one out of 1.5 mm perspex will post picture in the next few days. screen will be 35 cm by 35 cm

Will be using 21 w of deep red LED's on both sides 6 x 30 cm rows so 42 watts all together.

Hope you can see the pics any comments or suggestions welcome.

WP_20131201_005 (Small).jpg

WP_20131201_006 (Small).jpg

WP_20131201_007 (Small).jpg

WP_20131201_008 (Small).jpg

some things to consider, the volume of water needed for a double sided screen. and obviously the light required.

the screen needs to be easily removable and cleanable why not used some old Perspex and used something to roughen it up, should work perfectly.
I have also uses mosquito netting and seen people use shade cloth. these are cheap and easily replaceable.

damn nice DIY there

Hi Guys tried to take some pics this morning to show the start of the algae growth. but my phone does not capture the colour that good.

It is a waterfall type scrubber . did some mods this morning. Increased the slot size and the pipe diameter from the pump now I get 36 liters per minute over the screen. The slot and 15mm pipe was only giving me 9 l / min .

I hope to get better pics in a few days when the algae is thicker.

Lol, funny @Bendor! Yeah, he does drill very deliciously!!! Job well done bud!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Barend, thanks for sharing. I'm working on a scrubber myself, so I'm anxiously waiting for your pics with the algae growth.

Hi the algae started to grow nicely but unfortunately I decommissioned it for a week or two while I plumb it into my new filter room left the screen in my refugium . Will post pics as soon as it is up and running.

Back
Top Bottom