Urgent help needed Leathers sulking of unknown cause

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by ml, 8 Mar 2011.

1. ml

ml

Hi all,

my leahthers are sulking for thte last 3 weeks or so the open up for a day to shed and then close right back up. I have changed nothing in the last month. I just added some PO4 remover and active carbon. I added a algea tank 2 months ago the change cant take that long

Please HELP it doesnt look good when all my leathers are sulking. No other stock has been added to my tank. I have got corals and they are doing good is just my leathers.

Pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Algea tank running on the same sqedule as on the main tank is this wrong
    [​IMG]

Kind regards
    Mornè

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NeilSmit

NeilSmit

Hi, I think its the carbon, mine did the same thing.
    Normally they get over it, other wise remove the carbon.
    And the algae tank should be running with lights on if your main tanks lights is swiched off.

4. Tony

Tony

Leather's do sulk or close up to shed their mucous layer every now and then. The coral looks healthy so I wouldnt stress

5. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

If you are always running carbon and changing it on a regular basis, than it is fine. If you started adding carbon after a long period without carbon, you have to add very little carbon and increase the amount of carbon over the next few weeks. If you add after a long period a good load of carbon, the corals will burn.
    It is like sitting in the sun, but under the umbrella all the time. Now somebody takes the umbrella away and you get burned. Same thing with the carbon. The carbon clears up the water very quick and the light intensity increases rapidly. The corals doesn't have the time to adapt to the better light conditions. They close, they shed to ckeck if the conditions are better now and than the close again, because it got worse.

Only option, if you added a good amount of carbon recently is, to remove half of the carbon and to reduce the time for your lights by 2 to 3 hours per day. Once they stay open again, then increase the time for your lights by 15 minutes per day. If they still stay open, start adding a bit more carbon until your desired amount of carbon is in the system.

It is always better, to run two bags/reactors with carbon. You only change one and the older one remains. That means, you have to split the desired amount of carbon in half, add one half to the tank, wait a week or two, than add the second half. You would then only change the older one.

Tip: Before adding the carbon, wash the carbon in hot water (not boiling!). That will really activate the carbon. The water seems to boil after adding. It increases the efficienty of the carbon a lot.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2011
  6. IMarine

IMarine

leathers tend to do well with a kh of 10 a total cal of 400 and flow has to be right

7. ml

ml Thread Starter

I only added like 150-250ml of carbon to my tank I just did this as a test.
    My parameters is :
    NO2 0
    NO3 .5
    PO4 .5-1
    KH 7 (this )
    PH 8.2-8.5
    Ca 450mg /l
    --------------------------------------------------
    My KH seems to be a bit low, how do I get it up to 14 again? Will this help with the leathers to open properly?

I cant run my Algea tank on a reverce time bacause it will light up the whole room and then my tank will also be lit.

Kind regards
    Mornè

8. LuckyFish

Yes, your KH should be 10 to 12 as you got leathers and a shit load algae in the system. How many hours is the light on? What's the total water volume?
    NO3 is 0.5 mg/l ? It's to low for leathers. 10mg/l works much better. Keep an eye on your PO4. 0.5mg is fine. but 1.0 is a bit to high.

In the case, that you haven't used carbon for a long period and you haven't done a water change for a long period, the amount of carbon you added could cause what you experienced. Reduce the light period and see how it goes.

9. IMarine

IMarine

hi there if you push your kh to 14 its going to drop your cal levels a bit low,pls test cal levels tom and while you at it measure your mag levels as well,aim for 1400 on magn

Last edited: 8 Mar 2011
  10. Submariner

Submariner

Hi ML

Iodine may be the problem especially with all that macro algae and carbon filtering you are doing.

If you want to run the algae tank on a reverse cycle why not just cover it at night.

11. ml

ml Thread Starter

Thanks all.
    Um I dont have a magnusium tester I have been doing waterchanges when the water is OK to go into the tank its 45 l a change.
    -----------------------------------
    Total volume.
    Main tank: 170 x 55.5 x 60 (in cm)
    Sump: 65 x 35 x 36
    Algea tank: 35 x 33 x 28

Liter: Main 566.1 l + 81.9 l + 32.3 l = 680.1 liter
    ------------------------------------------------

If i remove half of my algea wil it help with the KH ?

Last edited: 9 Mar 2011
  12. Tony

Tony

My sarco is at a KH of 7. Why do you want the KH so high?

13. ml

ml Thread Starter

Many I want it at 10 -13 but 7 it has never gone this low before. I had my KH at 14 and my tank was doing great. but now it doesnt look amazing as before. I thougth if was for plastic poisening or some other cause that causes me toe start over from the beginning. That would have been a desaster.

ML

14. LuckyFish

He needs to have his KH so high as he has got to much macro algae in his system. At night his PH will drop a lot without having KH 10 to 12.

15. LuckyFish

KH is based and connected to three different minerals. We measure KH in total. We don't know how much is calcium based, magnesium based or natrium based.
    If your water is lacking in magnesium, KH becomes unstable. Actually I don't think your water is lacking a lot, because your calcium is quite high.
    The more your PH fluctuates, the more unstable is your KH. Macro algae grows during the day and consumes free carbon dioxide. At night, macro algae releases carbon dioxide. If the algae consumes more, than it releases at night, your free carbon dioxide will get less and less. Magnesium and calcium will drop, the magnesium and calcium based KH will drop, too. If your nitrate and your phosphate levels are low, you should harvest some macro algae. Always keep the same amount of macro algae and don't let the algae grow just because you have got the space for it. The more macro algae you have in a system, the more unstable it becomes. Especially if your light cycle is not reversed.

16. ml

ml Thread Starter

How do one get your KH up ? use buffers or is there a home remedy for it ?

Mornè

17. LuckyFish

Okay, use bicarb, which is baking soda. Natrium based KH will be the result.

3 gram of bicarb per 100 litre water volume to raise KH by 1 degree.

3 gram x 6,8= 20,4 which means roughly 20 gram of bicarb.

Dissolve 20 gram bicarb in 1 litre RO water, stir it and add to your sump.

Do not raise more than 1 degree per day!

18. Tony

Tony

I've never had a problem in all the years I've had it

19. LuckyFish

Do you run the same system like him? With lots of macro algae?

20. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Maybe Tony runs the algae tank on a reverse cycle. That will stop the PH swing.

21. Tony

Tony

I dont run any macroalgae or a DSB. I use probiotics for nutrient reduction with circa 150kg of live rock

Recent Posts