Leather Not To Happy

Also are you testing iodine? If so, what is your reading... if not maybe you should. I've had the same issues and it has subsided since dosing (but not without testing first) iodine. BTW, strangely enough, my iodine reading from the test kit is 0.09 (way high according to the literature)... BUT, when I got this reading I panicked and was going to do a massive water change except I looked at the tank conditions and realized the corals looked much better (better color, better extension) so I left it alone. It's been more than a week and still corals look good. My conclusion ... test kit is NOT accurate.

Definatly, ive found if you over skim the water the soft corals dont do to well i would try skim during the day and off at night.

I can agree with this. On all my systems the skimmers are on the same timers as the lights. so max 10 hours a day.

Also are you testing iodine? If so, what is your reading... if not maybe you should. I've had the same issues and it has subsided since dosing (but not without testing first) iodine. BTW, strangely enough, my iodine reading from the test kit is 0.09 (way high according to the literature)... BUT, when I got this reading I panicked and was going to do a massive water change except I looked at the tank conditions and realized the corals looked much better (better color, better extension) so I left it alone. It's been more than a week and still corals look good. My conclusion ... test kit is NOT accurate.

What kit? I got a seachem one and took one look at the instuctions and put it down

Thanks for all the the replies guy's

I am not running a skimmer on my tank only ATS since i started my tank in 23 aug. 2009 and never had any problems with my lps it's just the softies
plus i do more than 10% (50l) water changes every 2 week

For the iodine never tested for that but use brightwell iodion 24 drops every 2 day

thanks again
charl

What kit? I got a seachem one and took one look at the instuctions and put it down

I use Red Sea. Seems complicated the first time you use it but it's quite simple. You have a "standard" tube that you fill with regular RO water... float that in tank for 10 minutes to stabilize the temperature ... add the 'standard' powder and shake. Then you take the second tube and add tank water. Add drops to both at the same time (according to instructions) and wait for the 'standard' tube to match the 0.06 color on the color chart (looking down from the top of the unstoppered tube). When the standard reaches the .06 color the reaction is done and you can read the test sample (again looking down from the top of the unstoppered tube).

Like I said, I've been trying to keep mine at .06 (testing every week or so). All the corals looked better than before but still not great. Last week, did the test and came up with 0.09 (which is bad, very high according to everyone). Started to prepare for a 20% water change and then LOOKED at the corals. Every one has better color and better extension so I decided to leave it alone. Everyone still looking good.

Now I'm not saying to ANYONE to dose to 0.09... I'm saying TEST and observe before adding anything to the tank, especially iodine.

Oh, and one more thing... my tank is running at a temp of 82F and SG is 1.026. Temp is higher than I'd like but we're in the middle of a really hot summer ... SG I was also running around 1.023 when my corals looked 'droopy' and have since raised SG after reading many discussions on the forum. You might want to bring your SG up as well ... but, go slowly.

Oh, and one more thing... my tank is running at a temp of 82F and SG is 1.026. Temp is higher than I'd like but we're in the middle of a really hot summer ... SG I was also running around 1.023 when my corals looked 'droopy' and have since raised SG after reading many discussions on the forum. You might want to bring your SG up as well ... but, go slowly.

Thanks i'll give it a shot ;)

Back
Top Bottom