Leather Falling Apart?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by scubaninja, 28 Aug 2009.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hi guys, my long polyp pin cushion has been closed for a while and i've seen it shedding so i thought nothing of it as my other leather happened to be shedding at the same time. But doing some maintenance in the tank i happened to notice a line on the leather, and i took it out the tank and i saw on the back it was falling apart (best description i can give). The other side seems fine even though i wasnt getting any polyp extension cause i thought it was still shedding. I have pulled a few slugs out a few weeks back, not nudis i think, but slugs type things. I havent seen one in ages because i took the chance to eradicate all of them i could find when i moved the rocks over but i suppose there could still be some hiding in the rocks. Now do i cut this bad bit off? What could have caused this?
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Could be one of those things that you mention else it may have picked up a bacterial infection. I would give it a dip in some iodine mixture or else the tropic marine pro coral cure.

4. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

scuba did you recently have some sort of salinity swing maybe? this causes it in sarco's

5. Boendoe

Boendoe

Like Nemos said dip it in pro coral and then if you have a hospital tank place it in there.

6. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

I did have a sg swing recently but that was after this started looking a bit off, no hospital tank and cant quite manage that dip, any other options?

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Your "hospital tank" doesnt neccessarily have to be a rectangle glass tank you know! Because it is only 1 coral any container will do while treating this (just make sure your measurment with medication is in accordance with the proportions of the container) as long you not mixing the medicated water with the main display. Maybe you should think of making a 2M hospital tank;)

8. FransSny

FransSny

Agreed with chicka .....no need for a specific tank I used to use one of those black plastic boxes / crates you buy at macro + 50 W heater & 100 L / hr pump

Worked for me

9. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

dude the sarco is sick cause of the sg swing, imo.
    best would be to cut out the affected area and place back. he will heal quickly. what is your sg?

10. scubaninja

the swing was after this, the swing only happened 2 days ago and it looks like its been like this for a bit longer, the damage looks too fast for 2 days. There anything else? will wait for a bit before cutting that section off incase its better not too

Thanks for the help guys

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I would cut it, they heal and grow so quickly you wouldn't notice it after a couple of weeks.

12. scubaninja

found out its been brown jelly eating at it:( i kind of gave it a shake in the morning and this afternoon the jelly was everywhere and i thought sheesh this things shedded skin has gone everywhere, only after posting all these did it click that its brown jelly:( so i've been in a bit of a panic for a while getting all my corals out the tank and cleaning etc.. they're all cleaned and in a hospital tank and i'm tryin to siphon the stuff off the rocks now:( i need to know, will that stuff survive on rocks? like die off eventually?
    Posted via Mobile Device

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Boet it is bacterial. Iodine or pro coral cure.

This bacteria is highly infectious so i suggest to proceed as follows.
    1) separate corals that are infected and quaranteen seperatly.
    2) Do not handle corals that seem unaffected after handling affected ones.
    3) siphon all jellies out of tank. Do not brush off jelly as this will spread the infection.
    4) do a 100% water change on unaffected corals. Dip them in pro coral before returning them to the tank.

As for the LR you will have to dip in iodine and give a fresh water treatment.

14. scubaninja

you like this pro coral cure ey;) thanks nj. all has been done already and corals are good and fine:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Na the pro coral is just easier to work out the dosage. Luigi's is better and far more wallet friendly IMO. You might want to ponder over how the infection came about.
    Like we preach always quarantine fish B4 adding to an aquarium. Dip your corals first as well.
    Hope you got it sorted.

16. scubaninja

It seems i have it under control. I have unfortunatly lost a little bit because of this though :( two SPS and my colonies of star polyps. Damn i just cant seem to keep star polyps alive, whether its angels or jelly :p but, a learning curve. I spoke to alan when i first figured it to be BJ and got the info i needed from him, and he says its likely low flow, i read in one of the threads here that Calfo was going to infect a coral and leave it in stagnant flow, as though its possibly the cause, so what i think is it got the infection possibly during shedding, and my low flow(had turned WB down to lowest output) just let it go nuts. But i have since upped my flow so i dont think it will be a problem in future. Fingers crossed

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Scuba keep us posted on future developments. Document and take some PIC's of the before and after for us. Your experience can help another reefer some day.

18. scubaninja

didnt take any pics hey, was too busy trying to fix it, but will look to see if i can see any strands of it to take a decent pic, and maybe it might help, funny thing is it doesnt actually look like brown jelly to me, rather more stringy snot type of thing:whistling:

19. IMarine

IMarine

Hi friend i had the same problem some time ago and found that there was a worm eating on it i had to cut half of my leather away and 1week later all okay

Recent Posts