Leather coral

Reaction score
I got a leather coral a few weeks back and since then it has molted 3 times. It appears to be very healthy and every time it molts it comes out bigger than in the past.

It has grown about 1cm in two weeks, is this normal? I did not know corals grew this quickly, especially after hearing scientists claim coral reefs took millions of years to grow.

1099497ffc440a937.jpg

soft corals can grow like crazy in some systems, i also have sinularia dura and it grew double in a year.

i found that when i dosed iodine in my systems my softies went mad....my cladielia grew like weed, fraged it two times in a year

soft corals can grow like crazy in some systems, i also have sinularia dura and it grew double in a year.

i found that when i dosed iodine in my systems my softies went mad....my cladielia grew like weed, fraged it two times in a year

Sorry to hijack your thread Kevin.

Lanzo, what's your few regarding the dosing of iodine ?
I've read a large number of very conflicting articles regarding whether iodine should be dosed or not .

i found iodine very good in my systems....i dosed 5ml x2 a week

nenies and all softies did good, plus it polished my water.

I started putting in iodine (stuff from the chemist, l think it is iodine disolved in ethanol) a few weeks back and I noticed that every time I dosed the leather coral molted about two days later. The hermit crabs also seem to molt soon after dosing with iodine. I put in about three drops, once a week.

what i do is( i got this from jacqb):

add 50ml of alpha chem iodine to 200ml ro water and then i add 5ml x2 a week.

i don't think the dissolved ethanol can be good for the tank...but you will no more kevin, you are the scientist

I think it is elemental iodine mixed with ethanol.

Some solutions are elemental iodine, potassium iodide and water.

Ethanol is just a pure form of alcohol. Some guys dose vodca in their tanks so the tiny amount of ethanol I am adding should not even be relevant. All it should do is raise the disloved carbon content by a tiny amount.

Back
Top Bottom