Leather coral needs help

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by copperpenny, 12 Jul 2008.

1. copperpenny

copperpenny

:( Hi there. My leather coral may be dying or dead. How can I tell?. It has shrivelled down in size but has remained yellow and seems to be exfoliating. It is still firm to the touch, but looks sad. Worried that it will effect water parameters. can anyone help? The coral lost its hard stony part it was attached to a few months ago. Is that a problem as it seems to be deteriorating daily.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Going need a pic.

It may just be shedding

How long has it been like this ?

Has any thing changed around the coral - flow, lighting, introduction of new corals ?

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

How long has he been like this?

They can close up for days, they "shed" their skin if you can call it that.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Please explain what you mean by "hard stony part"?

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

My advice would be to rinse it off in a bucket of tank water and check that bristle worm has not got in to the foot section, if all is good place back in the aquarium in high flow area, to help it shed.

7. copperpenny

copperpenny Thread Starter

Well when I bought it , it was attached to a piece of stone which we wedged between two rocks. It did well, first shedding and then presenting a wonderful display of extentions. This lasted for about 4 months when it fell off after becoming unbalanced. We replaced it and that when things started going wrong. It stopped standing up and fell to one side, eventually loosening its grip on the piece of stone it was attached to. There was a new coral positioned nearby and thinking that this was creating a problem we placed the leather elsewhere and it just hasnt been happy. Now I am not sure if I must remove it altogether or keep trying. I am useless at doing the post a pic thing ( need to learn ) which I know will help.

8. copperpenny

Thanks Alan I will try that. Cannot see any sign of any worms just a small part on one finger that is a bit soft.

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

10. cybervic

cybervic

What lights and water flow do you have? I've diffrent types of leathers and some of them prefer metal halide lighting and lots water flow. Leather corals are tough and chances are you can still save your coral.

If it were my coral, I'd move it to a high flow area with good light. There are many ways to attach a leather coral, but what works best for me is tying it down with a piece of thickish plastic string. You could even use a thing cable tie. Just don't pull it very tight. It should just lightly keep the coral in place. All parameters in check, it should attach to the rock in 2 to 3 weeks. You'll have to check you nitrates though. Even though they are tough and normally good beginner corals, they still prefer clean water.

Hope you manage to pull your coral through.
    Wikus

11. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Please remember although leathers are considered easy they do like the same water parameters as SPS corals as they do compete with these corals on the natural reefs.

12. copperpenny

Thanks for all the advise everyone.Will keep you posted. and warr7207 I'll try the pic leason after supper. Have a great weekend..

Recent Posts