Urgent help needed Leather Coral Heading South

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by ChristopherM, 12 Jan 2015.

1. ChristopherM

ChristopherM

Hi Folks,

I bought a juvenile leather coral about a month ago and after about a week it started to develop a hole in the centre. I was patient and watched closely, but the hole seemed to get worse. The hole is directly above the rock that it came on. Some advice lead me to dipping the coral in Seachem Reef Dip 2 days ago following the exact instructions provided.

I'm really stumped and it's upsetting me a lot.

My water parameters are good and all the other corals are incredibly healthy, as are the two small fish that I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really hope someone is able to assist.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Brendan6

Brendan6

Sorry to see this bud, I have never seen this before, I hope someone is able to help. If push comes to shove, bring it over to my place and we can do a Coral ReVive dip. If it is a worm, the dip will murder it.

4. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Thread Starter

@Brendan6 Yeh, really bleak mate. During the dip a small (3mm by 4mm) type slug thing came off it - not sure if the little critter was the problem or not though. Before I dipped it, there wasn't all the molting, the molting is quite new so I'm not sure if this is the coral's defence mechanism. I also hope someone is able to jump in and give some wise words. I appreciate your offer, maybe I should be getting some ReVive and doing a dip in that, although I felt the Seachem Reef Dip should be sufficient.

Just want my coral to be happy :(

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yip thats worm damage
    give it another day and post another pic, you have to frag it to safe it

6. Brendan6

Brendan6

Eish that is a bit bleak BUT @ChristopherM, if you do frag it and you manage to save it, it will grow to this size so it really is not a train smash. Maybe frag as soon as you can just incase the damage ruins the entire leather and then you have nothing to frag.

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

there was a thread a few days back about the same, i had the same experience, but fragged and got 3 healthy corals from it.

leathers grow like weeds

8. ChristopherM

@dallasg Ok, I'll monitor for a further 24 hours and see how it is this time tomorrow evening. I'll have to Google a bit to see how to frag it, but if I recall correctly, with a leather you can literally take scissors and cut big chunks? @Brendan6

So, 24 hour review and then I reckon I'll frag it regardless to ensure that I don't lose it completely.

Thank you for your help gents, it means a lot!

9. Brendan6

Brendan6

If you have a blade, that would be better. A nice clean cut is best. Good luck bud! Let them heal and sell a frag or 3 to pay off the coral

10. ChristopherM

@Brendan6 I did some reading, sounds like a blade and rubber bands are the key. Looking forward to it, will be my first frag and I'll have a couple to give away =) Cheers for the words of encouragement. Btw, your tank is looking great, was reading your thread before I posted this, those SPS's are insane!

11. Brendan6

Brendan6

Awesomeness, hope the fragging turns out as well as it should.

Thank you for that comment, I am loving the growth rate of these guys! It is coming along very well

12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yup, as the guys have said, leather corals will survive being being run over by a lawnmower, but not worms :p You can cut it using a smooth, very sharp knife, the pieces can be as small as 1 cm or as big as you want, you just need to decide what sizes you want, if you make a few small frags you can sell them on or swop with other reefers. Given time the pieces will all grow into lovely specimens. Have a look in the Fragging section, there are a few good threads with some nice info and pics from local guys that have done it.

If you do frag the coral, one bit of advice, is that it will release huge amounts of slime, so do it outside of the tank and give it a rinse in a small bucket of tank water before putting it back into the tank. They can survive out of the water for short periods so no need to rush.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2015
  13. ChristopherM

I made the executive decision this evening to remove the coral and cut it into 4 pieces. I attached 2 directly to the hardscape in the tank and 2 to little pieces of rock. I really hope these guys survive, was hugely bleak that I had to do it, but rather this than losing the whole thing altogether. According to my research it should take a couple of weeks to attach itself so I'm counting down the days!

Thank you for the assistance, I'll come back here with updates.

14. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Good luck.
    Came home today from holiday and both of my leathers were completely dead. No holes in it though, the stem just seemed to collapse and rot. Mine wasn't the same type of leather though.

15. ChristopherM

16. Brendan6

Brendan6

17. ChristopherM

Leather frags haven't grown much, but they appear to be alive so I'm just letting them do their thing. I also ran more tests and my KH, MG and Ca are very low so I'm dosing now which I think will help.

Recent Posts