Lazy TS2

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Hi there, I have noticed for some time now that my ts2 gives less skimmate than before and thought it could be because the stock level in my setup is low and most of the bad stuff has been dealt with. Then decided to do a thorough inspection last night and found the air inlet into the venturi was almost completely blocked with hardish white stuff. I have an idea its salt that clogged it up.
Does that happen with all ts2's? Decided to extend the air inlet and let it breathe a bit higher. Is that ok?
Let all the wise ones speak up.
Herkie

Hi Herkie, You need to throw the TS2 away. I will do you a favour and collect it!

No just joking:) ... Try running some vinegar down the air pipe. This will disslove the buildup and clear the air intake again.

Wise ones speak-oh well that excludes all of us here. Nah only joking. Herkie i do not consider myself a wise one but this happens on all skimmers where the airline can become blocked. The easiest way to prevent this is to dip the airline into 500ml of ro once a week and let the pump suck up the water through the airline to keep it clear.

ood advice there, have not done this yet and I s'pose I will have to

so vinegar will basically unclog what ever is restricting the venturi eg. salt?

The wise ones has spoken
Hey, what about me, I also want to have a chance :lol::lol::lol: Just kidding. :razz:

What I do is put 2 teaspoons of vinegar into a cup of RO water, microwave for 30 seconds so that the water is nice and warm, then stick the air pipe into the cup so that it sucks all the water out. Warmer water helps to remove any deposits better than cold water.

Um.. Which vinegar is best? White or brown? Brown is better with chips, so how is it with fish ;)

I was going to post something today about the importance of cleaning the air inlets. My AM skimmer stopped working, took the pipe out and it had about 2cms of salt in the pipe. I heated up some RO water (figured salt dissolves easier with warm water) and let it suck it through.
Did the same with the RS2 and I could see a diff. almost immediatly.

Hi I strip all my pumps and skimmers every three months or so and soak them in the cheapest spirit vinegar I can find. Leave them for a few hours, scrub with a toothbrush and rinse.

Hi I strip all my pumps and skimmers every three months or so and soak them in the cheapest spirit vinegar I can find. Leave them for a few hours, scrub with a toothbrush and rinse.
i do the same with my pumps,but every 2 months using ro waste water, amzing how much of crap gets clogged in the pumps!

I did not know that the pumps should be 'seviced' and have decided to tackle it the coming weekend. Have the Jebo I started with here and tried to use it together with the ts2 some time ago and it only managed to skim some almost clear watery stuff. Maybe some ro and vinegar will jack it up a bit. Thanks for all the info you guys.

Baby bottle brush is also good to go. I bought a brush from Akals which was intended for cleaning mag wheels. The nylon bristles are slightly coarser and the cone shaped brush can fit into any part of the powerhead...making short work of any deposit.

Back
Top Bottom