Law

Discussion in 'New Members' started by zerger, 8 Jan 2010.

1. zerger

zerger

hi guys, newbie here..
    aniways, firstly. HELLO WAKKAWAKKA! :slayer:

now that thats done, i need some advice.
    im plannin on climbin in my car, goin down to belito or somewhere around durban and collecting live rock, ananome's, a few snails, plants.. you get the idea.

can anyone tell me if there is some law against this?
    (not deep water reef destruction style, just collectin stuff not to deep in the sea)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yip, get your marine fishing permit from the Post Office.

Our local rock is not suitable, anyway not what you get close to the beach.

Been to Balito, not a very nice spot to collect stuff, unless you really look hard and know where to look at. At least not on the rocks and pools at low tide.

Do you have a method to keep them alive until back in Pretoria?
    check Things I got from Ballito Beach - General Discussions

4. zerger

zerger Thread Starter

crap.. any idea how much they would fine a person if he would be caught doin somethin like that inaniway..?

basically gona have a buddy go with me, he will have a spray can with sea water to spray the anenome every now and then (ive seen them survive on the rocks outside of the water for days and all they got was a splash from a wave every now and then)

and for the rest of the things collect, ill take a few bottles of sea water with me and do frequent water changes on the way back (for starfish, snails, shrimp etc)

:thumbup:

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Is this a joke

6. Norries

Norries

If It Is This Dude Aint Funny!

7. zerger

zerger Thread Starter

hey, done alot of crazy stuff in my life.
    but i always plan thoroughly before i do ****.

so, thats where you guys are supposed to come in.
    and say USEFUL stuff.

8. Norries

Norries

9. seank

seank

Zerger, first of all, welcome to the Forum. 2nd of all, the guys already said some usefull stuff, 3rd of all, you are not allowed to harvest any live rock from our waters.4th of all, how are you gonna keep a nennie alive with a bottle of spray water.
    5th of all, try and figure out that this is an open Forum, members normally introduce themselves, read some existing threads wrt Nennies, new members etc, meaning, look around and read some old posts.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you are talking about nennie, as in a Rock Anemone, yes, it can be done, they are small, and tough. No need to spray them, just leave them under water.

But

They are extremely difficult to remove, without hurting them. The Red ones that is totally exposed at low tide are normally easier. But the other colours, like the blue, yellow, orange normally sits inside a little hole. And there is no way that you can get your finger under and around them. So 99% cannot be removed at all.

Here I'm talking about all those that are on the rocks you can get to at low tide.

Also on the way back, maybe one water change half way back. Get yourself battery driven airpumps. Read my tread, as suggested. And do go there totally prepared. And even then, even when prepared, I did loose some creatures, as I mention in that thread. And I do feel bad about them, my fault that they died. So it is not guaranteed that your trip will be successful.

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

First of all Hi Zerger - Not to be a wet blanket but where are these "creatures" going - Seeing you from Pretoria there are tons of reefers out your area that will be more than willing to point in you in the right direction - remember those that are here on the forum do this more than just a hobby - we've become one big family and would hate to see our sea creatures suffer because of someone not taking the right advice - dont get me wrong we not always right but we all have one thing in common - the well being of the wonders of our oceans - One of the golden rules in marine keeping is "PATIENCE" - its in caps lock coz i'm shouting it to you and asking you to slow down! We would hate to lose some that has joined us because "things" went horribly wrong - Please please take some time before you head down to coast and go through some of our posts - remember .... WELL BEING of our pets - and you will have endless years of pleasure

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Hmmm... The method ZERGER wants to use for transporting an anemone dry is the correct one. I am sure Brenda will confirm.
    Anemones transported in water end up poisoning themselves. So if one wants to ship/transport anemones do it without water and just keep it moist. Best to seal it in a plastic bag so that it does not dehydrate.

However i am also concerned like our fellow reefers as to the wellbeing of the creatures you wish to take from the sea. Please reassure us that they have a home and that they will be well taken care of.

13. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Agreed.

nennnies are often transported in wet newspaper esp in the US. transport in bag ooften results in self poisoning

14. crispin

crispin

hmmmm, welcome to masa.

hope u do a little reading and learning while u are here.

15. chikaboo

chikaboo

Now why do I sense weapons being drawn and ammo being loaded with this last post killkanga

16. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

As you can gather from most of the previous posts, we are pretty sensitive when it comes to someone just "collecting" animals from the beach without knowing how to care for them, and without having an aquarium setup which can ensure long-term survivability of the animals.

Did you know that anemones can live for hundreds of years in the wild. Yes, 100's of years. These same anemones usually die within weeks (or less) in captivity IF the aquarist does not know how to care for them. I'm assuming that (based on your questions) you don't know how to properly keep anemones. If I'm wrong, then I sincerely apologize, but if I'm right, then just ask yourself: "Do I really want to run the risk of killing such a lon-lived animal because I don't know any better?"

If you are serious about keeping anemones, you will need a tank with good water flow, and which has matured for at least 6 months before you try to keep an anemone. By all means, collect sand (and rock, if you want to...), and perhaps a few small hermit crabs, but DON'T collect anything else if you don't have a mature, cycled tank.

Hennie

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to Masa. Do you have a tank at home that is running? If yes, can you tell us more about it?
    Like how long it has been running, water parameters, filtration etc.
    Pics would be great.
    Permits are R75 at the post office, make sure you tick the right box if you want to collect invertebrates.
    If they catch you collecting without one, you can get a heafty fine and even locked up if protected or illegal stuff is taken.
    Posted via Mobile Device

18. zerger

zerger Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers so far, I really do respect you all for being protective and caring so much about our ocean life.
    I think ill stick more to anenome's for nowr will buy a couple of clownfish then later.

thanks for those that think my way of transporting the anenomes will work, I thought my theory might be correct.
    as for the more sensetive creatures - prawn, snails etc.
    mayb frequent water changes might do the trick?
    once per hour mayb?
    I also want to put a few sea plants with them, for oxygen etc.

(also, i did read your thread riaan. very impressive. I dont have the equipment you do though)

also, no I dont have a reef aquarium so far :(....
    as i said I plan alot before going ahead with something, but these are my plans so far:

120cm x 46 x 46 tank

Skimmer - R584 (400gph)
    Skilter Filters

wavemaker- R 288 (pump 3)
    Water Pumps & Wavemakers: Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pumps

test kit- R 168
    Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit

saltmix- R 440 (175 gal)
    Marine Aquarium Salts for Reef and Saltwater Aquariums: Red Sea Coral Pro Sea Salt

sand- R 280 (40lbs original)
    Marine Substrates: Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand at Drs. Foster & Smith

light casing- R840 (36")
    Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: All-Glass Twin-Tube Black Strip Lights

fluoresent bulb 36" (vho lighting) (x2)- R400
    VHO Aquarium Lighting: VHO AquaSun Fluorescent Tubes

thermometer- R24 (Stainless w/Hanger)
    Hagen Thermometers

klip large w/holes (x1) + (x1) large w3peaks - R 250
    Aquarium Decorations and Ornaments: Hagen Marina Naturals Rock Outcrop

Total- R 3200

there should be about a month gap between me getting my tank and when im going down to durban, so will have time to get water levels right and insert cured live rock before going down to durbs.
    (so i can basically insert the animals immediatly)

also, @ reef maniac- i havent cared for an anenome so far.. but ive done my study's.
    ananomes live partially from light through photosenthesis also, they eat large sources of food such as mossels, fish etc. as well as small creatures such as phytoplankton.

I also do not tend to dislodge the anenomes, i am going to search for those attached to rocks small enough for me to take with.
    thus taking with me some other bacteria etc. then the water will in my tank will be closer to that the anenomes are used to.
    will also take water samples once im there and get my tanks water as close as possible to that where i got the creatures. before adding them to my tank.

19. zerger

zerger Thread Starter

and yea, i think i will go get a license before headin down

20. brandonb

brandonb

uhm... ok

I am not 100 % sure but according to what I know the local rock anemones dont host clownfish...
    maybe someone could clear that up?

Also you need a mature system for an anemone (at least 6 months, 1 month wont be enough unfortunately)

It is good to plan but I personally dont think that setting up a tank one month before adding an anemone will be a good idea, maybe just add shrimp and snails...

Brandon

21. flipwhip

flipwhip

You think its that easy.........you having a laugh:005:

Last edited: 9 Jan 2010
Recent Posts