Larger Zoas not opening up anymore

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Coves, 11 Dec 2010.

1. Coves

Coves

Fairly new at this hobby, would like to integrate more corals but need to know why my larger Zoas are not opening up... took a water sample to Big Al's (basic water test - good), they basically know that it can be so many things that he suggested I google the issue, so here I am... the other corals and fish appear to be very happy... any recommendations would be helpful

55gal tank, 6 months old, 6 fish, basic corals, zoas and mushrooms

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

We will need more info on the tank as it could be a number of causes.
    What lighting do you have?
    Is there any direct flow on the coral?
    Have you changed anything in the same time as when the Zoa's stopped opening?
    What fish do you have in the tank?
    What inverts do you have in the tank?

Just to name a few.

4. Coves

Coves Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, here is some info on my tank... (uploaded a so so pic)
    * I have 2 hi output lights w/dual (blue/white) bulbs (I am being told that this is still not enough light to manage higher end corals... even after spending $100 on a bulb)
    * No direct flow on the corals
    * The last thing that changed, was an out-break of red algae growth that was coating the rocks, treated the tank with Red Slim remover which worked great, and did some light brushing to pretty much get rid of it at this point
    * Fish, blue tang, large coral clown, a couple medium brown/white clowns & a couple small nemo clowns
    * snails (12), blue legged crabs (12), pepermint shrimp (2)

Today I made some changes to improve overall flow into a more circular pattern, and made sure not to hammer the corals directly

5. Annoying

Annoying

Try moving the polyps directly under the light and see if there is any difference, also make sure that the snail and hermits don't irritate the coral, because the entire coral isn't closed, it's only a few polyps, so it almost seems more to an irritation by a predator. How long has the coral been like this? Has it been pushed over by the hermits? The hermits or snail could be a culprit of the semi closed polyps, keep your eye out for any creatures climbing on it etc.

6. Coves

Coves Thread Starter

Thanks again for the reply, yes the blue legged crabs do tromp through everything in the tank but have been around since almost day one.. the pepermint shrimp have been around for a couple of months, but they are seldom seen and come out when food is around.... if they are after the zoas, then it would have to be at night...

On another note, I am looking to add sand sifting goby's, and am being told that they jump, so you need to screen the top of the tank... the question is, do you know what the best material is to use, should it be something like a grating that allows the top of the surface to fully breath or would glass/plexy work?

7. Annoying

Annoying

It actually all depends on what you can get, when using a complete closed hood, like a wooden or plastic hood, try inserting 1 or 2 PC fans to help with airflow. Small sized grating can also work, how high is your tank and what is the water level? If it's a great enough difference then a hood may not be needed. Maybe you should start a beginners thread under the beginners forum, that everyone can give you a warm MASA hello:yeahdude:. And after that you can start a tank thread under the members tank forum. We all love pics! The best thing is then can everyone so your tank and give their own opinion and thoughts. PS. Try keeping an eye out on the crabs as if they move a lot over the zoa's at some point, the zoa's will refuse to open fully.

Recent Posts