Large tanks and builds: destined for doom and gloom??

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 6 Jan 2013.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi all!
    So since I have decided to enter the realm of supersized builds, a trend I have noticed while reading on the 4 overseas forums I post on I have noticed that most large builds fizzle after a year or 2, mostly due to the misconception that one needs a filter room capable of supporting the international space station, but here in South Africa we manage to not fall to this trend, is this due to our economic climate, costs of the hobby or scarcity of equipment for large builds we make do and persevere ??

Could some of the reasons be cost and complexity? I know I have planned so that this new tank is no more complex than my 500L, do most make it to expensive to run and maintain?

Put your views here

I would like to hear how the few I know have kept at it, @seank @Adee @Achilles @Helga @Nemos Janitor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pkc

pkc

My fourth tank was a ten footer I made from a mass of huge sheets of half inch glass given to me.

There were other whoppers as well over those years and I have found the reason many fail with big tanks is they do not understand how salt water functions, how bio filers need to function and the silly idea that larger water amounts equate to less problems due to misconceptions on parts per million!

We had a club member that went along these lines with a 15-foot by 12-foot swimming pool tank and a star fire 5 foot cube.

They set him back one hundred and twenty thousand dollars over three years and he still got what I did not get, failure after failure on parasites, even bringing in not allowed substances to try to fix the parasites and he had to do two full cubes at a time of water changes each week.

All the latest gear from over seas that was not available in this country and it still all failed and he gave it all away to the research centre on Stradbroke Island off Brisbane.

It could have been the most breath taking set up with not many changes, but he went with what is trendy and relied upon those over all.

He offered it all to me, where would I put all that?

4. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

Seeing as Im in the process of building my planned 3.2mLx1mHx1mW Im going to Tag along and see if I can't plan to avoid the doom.

5. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

This could be interessting thread..Tagging Along

6. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

I agree pkc, all the gadgets in the world won't make you a good reefer

I have made mine so simple that I often think maybe I need to go complex
    Then I remember my R.E.E.F acronym and talk I gave that reliable and simple is key
    So I am going Berlin with bio cubes for nutrient export

7. pkc

pkc

A marine aquariums success wether it be fish only or full on reef is so easy its sad to think some have any parasites or equaly any corals become sick or that die.

There is not much to this hobby to make it work out beautifully no matter how big the tank is.

Though the moving of waters can be a bit expensive with large tanks!

8. dallasg

The secret is keep it simple so when a problem occurs there is no panic and can easily be identified

9. the fish

the fish

My opinion is that ppl yend to go big bcoz you can do so much more. If you have the money to backup the maintenance on something that big you can make a success. I dont believe you need a complex machine room and fancy things to make it work. Simple is probably better. I think its when it comes to water changes and topup that they realize what hole its burning in their pockets. Thet stop doing those things and the system starts running backwards. Another thing is the electricity usage on a a system bigger than maybe 1500L can become a bit high and they also dont tend to budget for that. My 2c

10. Marine1

Marine1

K.I.S.S ...... keep it simple stupid
    i have done and spent hundreds of thousands and my new 3250 liter system is simple with not funnies.... i still believe that the flow inside the DT is crucial , mine is at 80000 litres/hour and im still adding one more 15000 liter / hour powerhead. Skimming heavily and orca bio cubes 15 kg.

11. the fish

the fish

Awesome to see someone that still going full out:thumbup:

12. vatso

vatso

For me it's the running costs - water changes and supplements the larger the more it costs and short cuts will cause tank issues

13. Nur

Nur Starz

2 years back when we converted a 2m FW into Marine. 2 years later tank is stable since the day it was started up. Still simple, 2 canisters, a skimmer and T5 lighting. The only thing that fluctuates is my temp.

Running full reef (minimal sps lately) and everything is growing exponentially. i do have some a chiller wich is a necessity in summer in Cape Town and a pair of MP40's but thats it. No CaRX, no Phosphate rx, no Nitrate rx, auto doser. So i have to agree with Dallas and PKC, the simpler the better and i'm an example of that. That does not mean that if your Setup can take a space ship to the moon you are doing it wrong, if all the bells and whistles maintains to keep your levels constant and stable then its every cent well spent (if you can afford it).

my 2c, have a look at my thread. I just updated with some pics. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

14. Marine1

Marine1

different factors for different tanks...it works for you but doesnt for me , that type of thing.

15. Marine1

Marine1

your tank look amazing so it work what your are doing

16. Nur

Nur Starz

@Marine1 fully agree with you. But there seems to be a misconception that in order to have a successful stable system u need a everything marine related that a store can offer you viz 5 reactors, a skimmer capable of skimming ushaka, quad dosers and a extra single doser just incase, Lights that your neighbor 5 houses awaya can see through his closed curtains, etc. I'm not gunning at anyone that has all the bells and whistles. I would like them too, but would my system still be as stable as it is? Like PKC stated having all the best hardware doesn't make a good system it still comes down to husbandary.

All is well if you have and can afford it. The misconception is that some people believe that is what they need as a requirement to have a marine setup. How many sumpless or low tech or setups have achieved TOTM? To me it seems that the requirement is not only to be 1 year old, but I can be incorrect.

17. Nur

Nur Starz

Oh and thanks or the compliment.

18. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

19. magman

magman

imo large tanks are best for fowlr, besides Achilles tank (mainly a fowlr) there is no decent large reef tank I have seen (except a few overseas on reefcentral)

In this hobby, everyone strives for a tank that is worthy of being equivalent to a totm, and a massive tank is just not affordable like a 4 foot, especially when it comes to cramming it with corals, at the same time, a fowlr tank does not get the recognition a reef tank does,

20. dallasg

yes i agree to a point, there are a few great large tanks, but most think that all the best equipment and money make you/it a good reef, while size does make things more managable due to costs and affordability, i think like all things a balance must be found.

yes FOWLR and nano's dont get enough recognition, probably like mentioned earlier there is no fancy equipment etc

21. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I have seem nano's kitted out up to the wazzooo! @Toolboysa...:whistling:

Recent Posts