Large Skimmer advice

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by reza, 9 Aug 2012.

1. reza

reza

Hi

I need recommendation on a large skimmer for fish only system. Skimmer must be rated for 5000liters or bigger. I'm looking for a good skimmer with a manageable price.
    All advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. erratiC

erratiC

Hi @reza,

I've been talking to @George from Tunze for a while now about building a 2500l tank for myself and he's suggested I go for their Master DOC Skimmer 9480 (scroll down to the bottom).

Master DOC Skimmer 9480 (9480.000)
    Contains four Hydrofoamer Silence 9420.04, recommended for aquariums up to 8,000 l (2,100 USgal.) of salt water.
    Immersion depth of 160 to 370 mm (6.2 to 14.5 in.), dimensions: L530 x W500 x H700 mm (L20.8 x W19.6 x H27.5 in.) , 230 V / 50 Hz (115 V / 60 Hz), 60 W, water flow rate: 5,200 l/h (1,373 US gal./h); air capacity: 3,400 l/h (898 US gal./h), skimmer cup volume: 7 l (1.8 USgal.).

He said that the price is around R15k which compared to similar skimmer sizes isn't bad.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

mmmmm personal opinion ...... Remember fish only has huge bio load so it makes more sense to buy 2 x skimmers that do +/- 2500 litres .... With this scenario chances are that both skimmers troubling at the same time are slim and you know if 1 start to trouble at least you know you have the other to do 50% of the work while you repair the troublesome 1

6. Ayoob

Ayoob

5000 liters is a huge tank. Tunze would be great choice. What are the tank dimensions?

Tunze Master DOC Skimmer 9480

[​IMG]

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Whichever you decide I like chikas idea of 2 skimmers, you could also use one untill your fish stocking reaches a certain capacity and then add the second skimmer. 2 would definatley be a better option.

8. reza

reza Thread Starter

Its going to be hooked up to 9 tanks with a with a total of 3500 liters, so a skimmer rated from 6000-8000l should do the job. The purpose is for livestock holding not display , I was contemplating a RO 7000-EXT but not sure ,looking at other options.

9. FransSny

FransSny

I also agree with chicka , on this volume , 2 skimmers rather than one. You mention an external model ? Any specific reason as they are more expensive in general.

If it was my system...2 x XP 5000 INT , rating 4800 L total and cheaper than the 7000 ext

10. Adee

Adee

I run two RO 5000 ext on my 2500L set up...the one pump packed up last week, so been running on one cylinder while trying to sort out the pump. Then again, even one of these would be fine my tank....so my backup is just a peace of mind for me. Not sure on price of the 7000...perhaps even go 3x RO 5000's for a 3500L system.

11. Nanos'R'us

Nanos'R'us JsPLAYn

r.o extreme cone skimmers will be your best bet Reza.... they built solid and are very reliable and after sales servive from suppliers is awesum

12. reza

reza Thread Starter

I have an int 5000 cone on my 1200l mix reef, and it works very well I was looking for a one skimmer solution for space and less equipment clutter. So i would prefer to look at one skimmer. I ran two identical aqua medic skimmers before I got the RO 5000 and one skimmer always skimmed more than the other, the second would skim very little, seemed like the second skimmer was a waist.

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

It only seems waste coz no emergency happened ..... In recent threads theres been alot skimmer pumps having some kind of issue or the other ..... All I'm saying is being electrical items there's always a possibilty of something going wrong ... Now considering you want this hooked up to holding tanks the fish would already be stressed getting to you and posibility of them more waste then usual is very likely, added to that would be the time you want to catch them from the holding tanks so increasing the bioload and more skimming required .... Now taking these into consideration I still say 2 skimmers will be safer ... Spend the same amount ypu budgeted for one but have peace of mind that you a backup skimmer .....

14. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

are you going to connect all the water in the holding tanks? maybe not a good idea as pathogens brought in on some fish may spread to others.. 2 skimmers will give you versatility and greater scope should a problem arise...

15. chikaboo

chikaboo

I was thinking about this thread today but now can't remember .... Are there some posts missing? .... Thought I read there was going to be a 2M tank split into 8 "mini" tanks .... that would leave you with a holding tank with dimensions of 250mm x 400mm x 400mm(I think) Thats pretty small bud ... You going be limited to the amount of livestock quantity and physical size wise ....

16. reza

reza Thread Starter

The dividers are removable, the compartments can be adjusted to amount of space needed.

Recent Posts