Large re-circ skimmer design

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Midnight Reefer, 21 Oct 2013.

1. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

It's no mystery that I need a serious skimmer, recirculating, 7000L SPS tank, need it rated for 10,000L tank.

Pumps - Reef octo diablo dc5500s - Two waiting to be used, more could be aquired or if any suggestions on a higher quality and reliable pump?

Which modern designs stand out at the moment and why? any extra modern features that actually improve efficiency? don't say bubble plate....:p

Options are;

1) Purchase from a company and request no pumps, currently eye-balling Marine Sources mega 1-7-6 offered by mr @Andre@ReefAquatics.co.za. Much respect to you dude.

2) get our workshop division to somehow make one? they still seem confused as to why I keep doing so much PVC plumbing and a venturi tube to them is an airline tube, regardless of pump.
    This is obviously cheaper but efficient? any designs you guys know of that can be re-produced by......i dunno......def not D.I.Y kinda thing. Workshop do everything from solid construction of exhibits, to having a qualified electrician do all my electricalizing :)

Of course any and all polar opposites of opinions and 2c's and 5c's are welcome. But please no 50c's or hostility toward other opinions.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Do you have a budget? Have you tried to chat to Scott or Donavan from Aquarium Depot, I'm sure they will be happy to help. @AD Scott and @AD donavan

4. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

The Mega 1-7-6 is rated at 22000L and measures 400x2250mm.

Also you could probably look at the 1-4-6 rated at 9000L,

If you don't mind I could post a picture and specs and get the guys input.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  5. NO3

NO3

DO your self a favor and get 2 x turboflotor 5000 eco, each of them use only 55w of power so besides the skimmer costs of designing your own you will save heaps on electricity which is going to be a huge factor in years to come!

If you want to know who to contact drop me a pm and ill forward the details to you!

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

8. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks guys but as the assistant curator told me, we are a world class aquarium, we had rihanna in the other day and I walked past her without even noticing!!!

Point is, I have the experience that no other aquarist at the TOA seems to have regarding nutrient processing, ULNS, plumbing, waterflow and most shockingly, how to tune a recirc skimmer. I just need to motivate correctly and the budget will appear.

Speaking skimmers, I have been to hell and back and seen how a R3000 reef octo extreme with sicce pump, wipes the floor with the ATI powercone 200i, I emptied the cups, I know how well they skimmed and why and it gets obsessive. I shall explain......

the point of a skimmer, to create a colum of FOAM, keyword foam. Not a mixture of water and some random bubbles, the foam head it what the whole point is!
    Best foam head = max amount of air you can possibly mix vs water flux of pump.

I see this everyday, a pump with a normal paddle impeller can draw the air but simply cannot divide the bubbles small enough to create a foam, so the air intake must be limited otherwise you just have a giant airstone.

Air intake limitted? but a skimmer needs max air......completely defeats the point and wasting power with no actual efficient skimming going on,

As I understand, a recirc skimmer doesnt need the all the water being put through the skimmer to actually pass through the pumps doing air mixing inside etc. Am I slightly correct?

You can take most pumps on the market. I've had experience with with them and messes around like crazy, including the dreaded ATI powercone pump with grid impeller. Classic example of awesome sounding idea thats actually ineffective.

I have to conclude that hands down the reef octo diablo skimmer pumps are my choice. Why? I have tried most of the new DC pumps that all seem to have started with the RLSS waveline pump.

Theyre all so similar its actually confusing but the pump in question is the diablo DC5500s,
    Comes ready to blast out of the box, a bit stronger than the other DC pumps, 500l/hr more, not amazing but every bit counts.
    The winning element though is simply the air drawn by the pump. Its not the pump or impeller etc but the venturi provided. You can actually see the ring of air being sucked in, being variable means I can use it on any skimmer pretty much, even small ones, only prob is external plumbing which requires a extra venturi from reef octo at extra cost, and the pump is a bit more than competitors.

But, I will guarantee and bet my kidney on it, it draws 2400l/hr of air which I measured personally with a airflow meter.
    It's reef octo, they have a reputation to uphold and they are honest about skimmer ratings and all that jazz. They know how to and how not to make a skimmer, agreed???

And design, bubble plate with a nice fat cone body, no long PVC tube with a load of randomly tumbling bubbles or super eco pumps, no offence @NO3.

The amount of power being wasted and lack of interest in the Radion I am trialing personally finanaced by me. Still loving it @nemeziz_sa!! Power is not really a concern, of 30 or 40W difference? there are over 10 3Kw pumps running 24/7. I have boasted about the power saving, but no one really cares about 100 or 200W or the 350W I have reduced the coral tanks power usage by. deaf ears and its frustrating

9. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer Thread Starter

ok hold up, ignore my crap bout the pump and air draw, never looked into deltec. Technology is ahead of me again, another reason MASA is so powerful and informative

Recent Posts