Large coral system

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Ash, 3 Aug 2010.

1. Ash

Ash Coral biologist

Hi all.

I am starting up a 12 000 L series of tanks. Using 1080 kg of well matured live rock and 150 + kg of aragonite sand as a DSB. With my water source I've had issues with phosphates in particular. I plan on using a 10 L bypass reactor with granular ferric oxide to control this. Will this be sufficient?

Also in the system I have an RK2 skimmer, relatively small calcium reactor and titanium heat exchanger.

Its all exclusively for coral culture with high stocking densities.

thanks
    Ash

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

That's not a lot of aragonite you are planning for the DSB.
    My DSB is approx 70cm x 50cm x 15cm and it sucked 75Kgs of the precious substance. I think you need to budget a lot more for your 12 000L system (like 500KGs !!!)

Surely coral cultures of your scope will demand a lot of calcium, I'd imagine you would want a big reactor running flat out?

4. Muz

Muz

why are you using LR in a coral culture setup ?

5. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Any more details? are the corals to be sold for commercial?

I agree your calcium demands will be high so you will need to rethink that, what are you planning with regards to lighting?

what kind of corals are you planning to propogate

6. Ash

Ash Thread Starter Coral biologist

The area I've set aside for the DSB is 1m x 1m x 15cm deep so volume wise its 150 lt, weight will be more. I do have the option to increase this in future.

The calcium is dosed via a kalkstirrer at night but with my access to sea water with the turn of a valve I don't think I'll need to dose too much. I'm aiming at a total system turnover of ~5%/day.

Muz, Live rock is by far the best option for coral culture! stripping towers are very efficient in breaking down wastes but only to the level of nitrate where this would no stay in the system. Live rock along with the DSB has the anoxic areas with help with nitrate removal.

7. Ash

Sorry no commercial trade, We'd lose our permits. Its all for research.

Lighting I have 2 x 250w MH and 4 X 54w T5 6400K and 10000K on the SPS tanks. 8 x 54w T5 6400K on the softs and LPS tanks. Can achieve outputs in excess of 300 ms.m2.s-1.

8. Johan van Aardt

if i were you i would increase the DSB size to 2m x 1m x 15cm or add chaeto ontop of the smaller dsb so that you have a big variety of life in the tank. Will you put the live rock in the tanks or will you put it in a tub like you are doing with the DSB?

Are you planning to add any fish to the system because as far as i know corals always need some nutrients, and having fish helps them grow etc.....

9. Johan van Aardt

please keep us updated on this it sounds amazing

10. Ash

I can increase the size of the DSB more easily than adding chaeto as the sump needs to be a sealed unit with little lighting.

All live rock is going into vented crates in the tanks. 180 m3 in each tank. In the past we have had a few convicts for algal control and may do this again if needed but otherwise the nutrients in the incoming top-up water has been sufficient with some feeding.

11. Ash

Was planning on flipping the switch this friday but the electricians installed the wrong size starters for 4 of my 5.5 kw pumps. So another delay.

12. Adee

Adee

what's the aim of your research? Would u not want to also use natural sunlight?

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

interesting Ash please keep us well updated.. and lots of pics :)

14. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

awesome ASH would love to see some pics as well

15. Ash

The room is surrounded by high windows and two skylights so there is natural light. But its good and can be a nuisance! Some of the proposed experiments include specific lighting regimes and for this I cannot mix natural and artificial light. Although for day to day running natural light just can't be beat!

There are a range of experiments on the up and coming. Coral diseases and bacteria; sexual spawning and settlement preferences; growth trials; reef connectivity genetics; and fragmenting and growing out corals for the fun of it. ;)

16. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

you shound like you as happy as a pig in shit.. jealous :)

17. lIghty

lIghty

Hi Ash,

Sounds like an awesome project!

Could you clear the following up, you stated you have 1080Kg of live rock and that you were going to put 180 m3 in each tank.

180 m3 or 180 kg ?

18. Adee

Adee

Sounds like what I have been inadvertently being doing for the last 8 years...:lol:...and we call it a hobby.

Good luck to you with these endeavors, will be interesting for us hobbyists to compare our "notes" with yours.

19. Ash

The system total volume is 12 000 L. This comprises of six 1600 L rectangular drums and a 2000 L sump. In each drum I'm working my way up to 6 x 30 kg vented crates of live rock with more possibly in the sump. In total I should have just over 1000 kg of live rock.

That is system A for coral grow out and maintenance. System B is smaller (3000 L) but a bit more complicated.

20. Ash

Ill update with pics once its all up and running. Will be more interesting then.

21. scubaninja

scubaninja

Ash are you doing this for a degree then? Or you already have said degree and now just doing research? Where are you based? out of a university?

Recent Posts