Large anthia shoal

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jacqolive, 8 May 2013.

1. jacqolive

jacqolive

Hi Guys

I need some help deciding what anthias to get for my new tank. I would like to have a shoal of 15 anthias, all the same species. I was looking at having bartlett anthias but I have come across lots of reports that say eventually they will all turn male. I would like to know what you guys think would be the best species of anthias to accomplish a 15 anthia shoal with long term success.

Here is a list of the species I am looking at. My other option is mix all of these to get about 15 anthias but I really would like to have them all the same species.

Bartlett
    Evansi
    Dispar
    Ignitus
    Lyretail

Last edited: 8 May 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wesd

Wesd

from what i have personally see i would go with the lyretails as out of the 15 you will probably have no more than 5 turning into males (but 2 or 3 would be more likely) and they do look really nice as a shoal, just my 2 cents :)

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I would also go with the lyretail. They are also a bit more hardy & easier to keep.
    I personally like the evansi more, & also heard of more than one turning male, but the chances that all of them will turn male is rather rare...
    Upside of the evansi is that you can keep more per volume than the lyretail as they need at least a 500l tank to be happy where the evansi can do with half of that...
    What is your dt volume jacques?

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Another good option would be the ignitus. They are by far the easiest to keep & are just as beautiful (if not more beautiful) in a schoal as any of the others...
    They are also hardier & handle shipping better than most of the other anthias...

6. Adee

Adee

Just ensure you feeding regime is efficient. I've found at least 8 feedings a day to be optimal for these guys as they have hectic metabolism and a very short intestines for that matter. Fish slowly dying off thru starvation as other fish get to the food first, or food sinks down to spots where the fish misses opportunity to eat.

7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

What did you feed yours @Adee?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

@Adee ..just out of intrest...these are the more "easier" Anthia's and you mention a hectic feeding of at least 8 per day..does that mean that the more "difficult" Anthia..Ventralis Anthias (my "Wish List" Fish..pity they need Cooler waters) requires more than roughly 8 as I believe they do require a hectic feeding schedule..:blush:

9. Adee

Adee

The easy ones I would say are the "bolder" varieties like the common Goldie's we keep. They simply have bigger mouths and not bullied easily by bigger tangs. The ones that look similar and also grow to about the same size will be ok. Add the thinner looking varieties and they slowly will drop out.
    Also I would not advise adding chromis. U just adding more food competitors.
    I once had 5 varieties. Won't go that route again. Will keep to a mono variety and have no competing chromis.

10. Adee

Adee

Small ON pellets on a Sera auto feeder 7x a day. Mysis or cyclops eeze as an eve treat. Need to switch off pump for 10 min for that.

11. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

@Visser the tank will be 240 x 120 x 70 so about 1800l

@Adee I will be setting up 3 eheim auto feeders so I can feed up to 12 times per day. I also want to add 15 chromis so your comment about these is interesting. Do you feel that they out compete the anthias for food or is it just the fact that there are more mouths to feed. Do you think 30 anthias will do better than 15 anthias and 15 chromis?

12. Fred d

Fred d

Hi J. You based in the cape by any chance ?

13. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

Nope I'm in joburg

14. Adee

Adee

If I had to redo my LS...my order of preference would be:

1. 30x anthias which have the same physical build as squamipinnis
    2. 15x anthias which have the same physical build as squamipinnis plus x15 chromis
    3. 30x anthias of same build as Ignitus (don't mix with either squamipinnis or chromis
    Remember your heavy feeding regime will also spoil your tank, as the fine uneaten pellets rot away. Think of adding more hermits as well. My hermits scurry on the floor evertime the autofeeder drops pellets....as these are not bottom feeding fish, its important no left overs are left to add to your bio load.

Another thing which I found also adds to the longevity of anthias is having lots of coral space for them. I have best success with numbers when you have a forest of sps for them to hide away at night. I know not everyone has a forest of stag horns in our set ups....I just feel every little but helps to "make them feel at home"...so sparsely populated tanks that offer little hideaways I would think are not ideal for those of us wanting to keep 30+ numbers of these fish.

15. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

@Adees thanks for the idea with the crabs I will keep this in mind. What other anthias would you consider the same build as squamipinnis, the only one I can really think of is square spot?

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

My, and I am talking about my personal SPS tank HAD 14 anthius of a mixed variety. This was in September 2012.

To day I have 12 anthius. The two Huchi are no longer. The Male Huchi I found jamed head down in a rock. He was very dominent and I am sure got jammed chasing another fish. The female just disappeared. Never found her.

The others are doing fine. 5 Avansi, 3 Cabariye, and 4 squar blotch female.

I feed twice a day. ON lobster regs, mysis, krill, brine, filter feeder powder and Reef Paste.

This lot seems to bo doing OK on the feeding regime.

Oh.... Other fish are 4 tangs( 2 yellow, 1 purple, 1 ugly duckling) , a coral beauty, blue striped cleaner wrasse and a tomato clown.

17. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

Ok so following @Adee advise I will be going with lyretail anthias. Do you guys think I will be able to keep 30 successfully in a 1800l tank with 15 chromis?

18. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

Why not try the Anthia`s without the Chromis and if all is going well decide if you want to add the Chromis later?

19. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

Hmmm now you have me thinking about dropping the chromis and going with 40 anthias, would that be possible, I wonder, it sure would be cool :yeahdude:

20. Dot Dash

Dot Dash

image.jpg

image.jpg

21. jacqolive

jacqolive Thread Starter

Do you know who's aquarium that is, I have seen some home aquariums with even more than 40 anthias but not of the same species and I don't know the long term success that they have with them.

Recent Posts