Lanthanum Chloride

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by zahira, 25 Mar 2009.

1. zahira

zahira

Has anyone used this for the removal of phosphates from their tank? Using it currently and so far seems a lot better than conventional rowa, etc.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

hello zahira:) welcome to masa very nice to have you here: )

im afraid i have no idea what you are talking about, could you explain a little more?

4. zahira

zahira Thread Starter

It is a chemical used mainly by large aquariums and some very large tank owners to remove phosphates at a fraction of a cost to normal methods. However, you have to be very careful in how you use it as it can precipitate into carbonates and stay in your tank. There have also been suggestions that it can cause deaths in some fish viz. tangs as it can attach to their gills. Having said that, if used properly, it can be very effective and does not cause the above problems. I have been using it in my tank and it is a mere 250 gallons. I know someone with a tank holding 280 fish and he is using this regularly to keep his phophates at near zero. I have managed to bring my phosphates down within a couple of weeks from >1ppm to 0.1ppm. The idea is to use it near a skimmer or preferably directly into a skimmer (via the air intake). However, I would advise anyone thinking of using it to read on this as much as you can and use it carefully. I started using it out of necessity as I had removed my phosphate reactor when I changed to a zeovit system and my phophate levels build up very rapidly (have more than 40 fish) and I found myself using a lot of rowa (without a reactor) to no avail.

A google search should thro up the pros and cons on its usage.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA Zahira! Great to have you on board! Awesome that you have found and joined MASA!

Interesting topic - please elaborate on how long you have been using this? And do you have any more scientific information? ie. actual amounts used? actual water parameters before and after?

6. zahira

zahira Thread Starter

lanthanum chloride? - Boston Reefers Society Online Community

The above link gives you more info on this product. Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat E and Blue Life's Phosphate Remover are based on lanthanum chloride and both give you dosage instructions. As I have mentioned above, if someone wants to use it, please research thoroughly but it does work and a lot faster than the usual products. I have used the chemical lanthanum chloride rather than the aquarium products mentioned above and roughly 100 grams of the chemical will reduce phosphates in 10,000 litres of water by 1ppm. Again, and I cannot emphasise enough, do your own research if you wish to use the product. My phosphates were well above 1ppm in a 250 gallon tank and it took 20 grams of the product to bring it down to less than 0.1ppm within 2 weeks. It is also extremely important on how you dose the product apart from the amount of the product and from experience myself, you should aim at dosing directly into a skimmer or near some form of mechanical filteration.

7. crispin

crispin

thank you for the info zahira, i truley have no idea about it so wont commet :)

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Tony knows about this, he mentioned it in one of his previous posts, he should find this thread soon

9. Tridan

Tridan

Lanthanum Chloride, as far as i can remember one of our local chemists if not both of them use it in their liquid based phosphate remover, Worked like a charm, i think this is more of a topic for midas or palmerc.

Viper might be able to help as i recall he used the product extensively, lol.:p

Tagging on this one.

10. Tony

Tony

Lantahanum chlorise is used in a liquid phosphate remover. It is dripped into an area of high flow and will bind with phosphates to be removed by the skimmer and will only work with a skimmer. You must drip the remover because if it's added too fast it may depress your alkalinity. After 24 hours the phosphates are released back. In the absence of a skimmer you can add the lanthanum and then do a massive water change removing the trapped phosphates. You should get your skimmer to skim wetter for better results.

11. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

I used this stuff a lot in the past. Works very well. As far as I was aware it does not release phosphates back unless your pH goes down to 5 or something rediculous.

12. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

works like a charm........
    just buffer the kh after use.

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I also read that it is only effective for 24 hours, and whatever is not skimmed out, will remain in your system (Not leaching, but remaining). Tony is correct, it is better to set your skimmer to skim wet.

14. Tony

Tony

Bob, what I should have said is that phosphates bound by the lanthanum not removed after twenty four hours will be released as the bond breaks

15. Mekaeel

lol. Just saw that i posted the same as you Tony.

16. Tony

Tony

Great minds think alike;)

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Awesome info Tony! And Mekaeel! Many thanks everyone for adding your views on this! Very interesting indeed!

18. Tony

Tony

I'm buying some of the Lanthanum next week and sharing it with a few of the guys on the forum. It works out to about R300-00 bucks for 500g and half of that will last for a long time if you use a quarter of a teaspoon dissolved in 500ml of RO water, dripped slowly into the sump. Do this once every two weeks and you're phosphate free.

19. Mekaeel

Where are you getting Lanthanum from Tony?

20. Tony

Tony

It's a company in Jo'burg called "Glassworld". Mail address is Glassworld.co.za.

21. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Tony, when u speak to them next, can u see if there PH sticks/tabs work for SW

Recent Posts