Landy's First Nano Tank

It was all I could afford at the time, cuz it was emergency because we were going on holiday and water evaporates really fast in the tank and didn't have time to organise a tank keeper.
Yea these small tanks evaporate soo quickly :m15: I've been topping up 2L a day manually on mine

20180720_110518.jpg

So weirdly, it seems like the clowns have decided to host the underside of my toadstool :m23: at least they aren't damaging any polyps

Last edited:
So yesterday I, very stressfully, re-aquascaped the tank. After the boat decoration came out I wasn't too happy with how things looked and wanted to make some improvements and especially more space for corals. It's not as appealing as I would've hoped because I couldn't do as much as I wanted because I had to try my best to avoid snails and hermit crabs. But I have some big plans. I'm going to start trying to get one coral a month from now on if I can afford it. I really want to start increasing my coral population. My tank is really lacking colour.

20180721_114754.jpg

As you can see the toadstool is leaning to the side a bit. It tends to do this when I change the flow. Normally takes it a week or so to stand up again. At least all the polyps are extended. My next coral on the wishlist is I want to try a montipora.

And good news! A snail has finally discovered the algae spot that was annoying me.
20180721_115214.jpg

Y don't u just start off with some zoas first...they tend to b a bit cheaper and there's a nice range of colors to choose from.

If you in jhb..
PM I got a guy that sells frags for like R50/R100

How long did you have the torch?

In Cape Town unfortunately :/ otherwise I would jump at that deal.

I've had the torch for 2 months. That's how long ago I added a new coral.

How stable is this tank? And what are you dosing at the moment?

Extremely stable. Paremeters rarely change. I'm actually struggling to get my calcium down because there's nothing in the tank that uses calcium fast enough. But because I use natural seawater and do weekly water changes parameters are extremely stable. The temperate fluctuates 0.5 degrees a day. It is about 26.0 at night and 26.5 at the hottest part of the day. But it's a steady change that happens everyday.

That's very good to hear do you check cal before and after the water change ?

That's very good to hear do you check cal before and after the water change ?
Yep. I made a big mistake at the start. Once I got the torch coral I overestimated how much calcium it actually uses and I didn't have a calcium test at the time so I was dosing Seachem Reef Complete. Got some money for a calcium test kit and found out the calcium was at 520. The natural seawater has a calcium level of 420 to 450 so with water changes I have very gradually been bringing it down.

Great you learning very fast :m106: tell me do you do full test of the tank? And the NSW do you test the po4

Great you learning very fast :m106: tell me do you do full test of the tank? And the NSW do you test the po4
Thanks! And unfortunately I don't have too many test kits. Basically just the essentials: Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ph(pen), Alkalinity, Salinity and Calcium. Those are all the test kits I have. I could get a phosphate test done on the nsw at the LFS if you are curious.

Yes do so magnesium and phosphates test if I may ask what is the parameters you got the test for sitting at?

Here are all the parameters which I tested today:

Temp: 26.2
Ph: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Salinity: 1.026/35ppt
Alkalinity: 10dkh
Calcium: 495

All is great just the cal need to be lower and the test on mag and po4 but great work keeping the nano so stable

Back
Top Bottom